Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,134 times

Advertisements

My husband may have a job at Fort Shafter and since we aren't from HI I have no idea what city we should live in for good commute time, least expensive housing (apt rental), and over all nice area.

Any ideas? I'm sorry i'm so clue less. Is for Fort Shafter a city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 02:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bttrflyvld View Post
My husband may have a job at Fort Shafter and since we aren't from HI I have no idea what city we should live in for good commute time, least expensive housing (apt rental), and over all nice area.

Any ideas? I'm sorry i'm so clue less. Is for Fort Shafter a city?
Fort Shafter is a military base. Look around Aiea, Aiea Heights, or Pearl City for housing.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:37 AM

52 posts, read 108,830 times
Salt Lake for apartments, condos. It is super close to every thing.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 PM

95 posts, read 296,192 times
Just as previous poster said, SALT LAKE area is the best as your commute would be like 5 minutes and you can get in and out of town fast as long as it's not rush hour. It is convenient to freeways, airport and other bases also.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 PM

14 posts, read 47,440 times
Default if possible take Ft. Shafter Military Housing; if not then...

agree that Salt Lake & Moanalua should be top on your list to look at, as they are two of the closest to Fort Shafter. May still catch a bit of the "Ewa bound" afterwork traffic on crazy days, but that can be almost impossible to avoid unless your family can obtain on-base military housing.

been working in Fort Shafter a while now, and have been somewhat impressed with the housing they have constructed in just the past couple of years. Many of my military coworkers have been able to move into on-base housing after a year or so renting off-base, and have been happy with the decision.

Back to off-base options: Kalihi Valley is one of the closest options, but no good appartment rentals (primarily older homes).

Going the other direction (Diamond Head), there are a bunch of nice appartments in the Nuuanu, Kakaako, and Kapiolani/Ward areas. Try this link, then click on the "Metro Oahu" zone:
Properties For Rent
From there you can select the type of housing that interest you from the drop-down boxes (e.g., Apt Low-rise, Apt High-rise, etc.).

Here is a search within some of the recommended areas created with the following filters: Apt High-rise, Long-term Rental...
Untitled Document

Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 PM

173 posts, read 465,240 times
I also work at Ft. Shafter and ended up sharing a rental house in Salt Lake. Glad I stayed away from Aeia and Pearl City since traffic is bad coming from that direction.

The commute from Waikiki wasn't bad either - seems like traffic was in the other direction most mornings.

Technically I'm only 3.5 miles from Ft. Shafter but in the mornings it takes me about 20 minutes door-to-door

Old 07-17-2012, 05:37 PM

60 posts, read 245,235 times
If you are military, try to get on the waiting lists for Ft Shafter housing as well as AMR housing. AMR is a few exits away from Shafter, is huge and growing, with new houses for all ranks. Otherwise, off post, like others have said, Salt Lake is your best bet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: