Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You're living in Oahu - How often do you go to Waikiki?
At least once a week 6 22.22%
2-3 times a month 5 18.52%
Rarely 16 59.26%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 AM

82 posts, read 205,869 times

Advertisements

As a youngster used to go all the time. As an adult not so much. If your surf there is usually some kind of waves to catch. Now a days for business or occasional dinner. They sure did a nice job with fixing up Lewers Street with the Yardhouse and Giovanni Pastrami etc....to bad no more movie theatres there like the old days. Used to have several, now none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
A couple time a month... if that, and I only live about 10 miles away.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,405,648 times
Before I went to Hawaii for the first time, I only knew Waikiki by its Mainland reputation: crowded, tacky, and touristy. The usual advice was to bypass Oahu entirely (except to change planes) and go to Maui or Kona on the BI. Having been to Waikiki several times now, I love it, and if I lived in Honolulu, I think I'd go fairly often. My wife and I especially like Duke's, although I can't say I've been to many bars and restaurants there. The beach is great for strolling and people watching, as well as swimming.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
Before I went to Hawaii for the first time, I only knew Waikiki by its Mainland reputation: crowded, tacky, and touristy. The usual advice was to bypass Oahu entirely (except to change planes) and go to Maui or Kona on the BI. Having been to Waikiki several times now, I love it, and if I lived in Honolulu, I think I'd go fairly often. My wife and I especially like Duke's, although I can't say I've been to many bars and restaurants there. The beach is great for strolling and people watching, as well as swimming.
A good alternative to Duke's which can be pretty crowded is Tiki's next to the Marriott hotel. It is a little less crowded - has good food - often has bands playing - great view of the beach - and has happy hour everyday from 2-5pm.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,405,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
A good alternative to Duke's which can be pretty crowded is Tiki's next to the Marriott hotel. It is a little less crowded - has good food - often has bands playing - great view of the beach - and has happy hour everyday from 2-5pm.
Thanks! We'll check it out on our next visit.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
Fortunately I went to Waikiki BEFORE I heard all that. But, I've always been routinely amazed by that being a common recommendation to skip Waikiki/Oahu altogether.

My own feeling, Waikiki Beach is just a beautiful little spot of the earth! If there are tourists enjoying it, it's not a problem for me. They just add to that beautiful energy of it. They also owe to the constant upkeep to keep it beautiful and full-of-life, because everyone wants them to keep coming!

While, I personally wouldn't want to live in Waikiki, if I lived in Honolulu, I could certainly see myself going often, particularly with kids.

In short, I agree that it's a great little space, and equally surprised when I hear people say others need to skip it or bypass it altogether.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,959 times
Live within walking distance - but I don't get down there too often. It's just too much trouble, and if I drive there's no parking...

Best,

Chris

Old 05-16-2012, 07:01 PM

60 posts, read 245,494 times
Maybe once a month, if that. Usually for an event or if people are visiting. Sometimes for girls night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: