Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 8,061 times

Advertisements

Aloha

I'm returning to Hawaii with my cat and would appreciate some advice from those who have experienced the quarantine process. We're moving back to Honolulu from San Francisco.

So I unfortunately have to apply for the 120-day quarantine program because I have to return to Hawaii much sooner than expected and my cat-sitter bailed out on me last minute. He will have a little over 90 days left of his quarantine. It seems more cost effective to do the 120-day than board him here in SF, plus I thought I could see him more often if he were here.

He's basically completed all his requirements except for the 120-day quarantine (rabies test received by lab on 5/2/2012).he has completed all requirements: filled out form, got shots, microchip, vaccine, registered w/ animal hospital, and health certificate.

We are flying Alaska Air, and I booked him in cargo not knowing that they accept pets on cabin now.

1. Do animals that fly in the cabin need to be eligible for direct release or 5-day-or-less program? The airline reservation person seemed confused when I asked.

2. Do the quarantine people pick up the animals directly from baggage/cargo and take them to the quarantine station in Aiea?

3. For the 120 day program, they said to meet pet at the quarantine station... or do you go to the holding area near to airport first?

4. What do you think of the kennels in the quarantine station?

5. Do you tell the pilot/flight attendant that you have a pet in baggage/cargo and ask them to make sure the temperature and pressure is OK in baggage/cargo area or do you assume they know?

6. Any other advice you could give to me in general?

MAHALO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 AM

29 posts, read 62,109 times
Waiting eagerly for these comments. My cat is with my daughter in Texas waiting out her 120 days. So I wanted to try to take her in cabin, I was wondering as well can it be a soft sided carrier for that? That would be great! I think we have completed all except the waiting now. Good luck!!!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:22 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelee View Post
6. Any other advice you could give to me in general?

MAHALO!
My wife brought a cat a long time ago before direct release - and since direct release we've brought other pets but waited out the 120 days. All my wife keeps talking about is how much her cats personality (for the worse) changed being boarded up in a kennel. She said it took nearly a year for her cat to calm down and stop fighting/hissing - it was previously a very docile cat. I'd try to exhaust all options by paying people to look after your cat during the waiting period before putting your cat in a cage for so long.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:36 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,055,668 times
Although I do not have experience, I've heard the same, that long time kennel boarding is really tough on cats' and dogs' personalities. If I were you I'd really look hard for a good catsitter. That shouldn't cost you any more than the state quarantine.

Check with local veterinarians and groomers, they all know people who do petsitting. Also, small local foster-based rescues all know people who do petsitting. It really shouldn't cost any more than the quarantine fees.

If you must bring her into quarantine, please promise that you will visit as frequently as possible.

Best wishes. Sorry, I can't help with the other questions.

Jim, in-cabin pets can go in soft-sided carriers. We use Sherpa backpacks for our cats and dogs. I've heard very good things about Sturdibags as well; many people who show small dogs and cats use them.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice.

I heard lots of kennel stories, too. Kind of hesitant to do this... but it may be better if I could see him almost everyday.

I think most airlines require animals in either baggage or cargo on Hawaii-bound flights. Alaska air is one of the only ones I found the allows Hawaii-bound pets in the cabin. Which is weird bc the quarantine website says THEY have to pick up the pets and take them to the quarantine office.

Either way, the quarantine people have to transport the animal to the holding facility so I wonder if they meet you at the gate if you fly your pet in the cabin.

Last time I flew with my 13-pound cat, I used a small sherpa bag. It just fit under the seat in first class on Hawaiian air. He did really well. I didn't feed him much or give him much water before the flight and he was totally fine for about 5-6 hours. I think if you check your animal in cargo/baggage, you have to provide food, water, and put something absorbent in the crates like a newspaper or puppy pads.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:22 PM

The quarantine people just emailed me (on a Saturday... and they work for the state... so impressive)... the total cost for having him in quarantine for 60+ day is actually cheaper than boarding him long-term. Plus I could see him everyday.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
The quarantine people just emailed me (on a Saturday... and they work for the state... so impressive)... the total cost for having him in quarantine for 60+ day is actually cheaper than boarding him long-term. Plus I could see him everyday.
You asked for advice - don't underestimate how much your cats personality can change when you see your cat in a cage everyday.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,055,668 times
Quote:
Plus I could see him everyday.
Please promise your kitty that you WILL do this.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 AM

941 posts, read 1,969,190 times
My wife and I have brought 2 cats over, twice, once in cabin and once in cargo. We had done the waiting period correctly and qualified for direct release, but it sounds like the first part, up until we got to pick up our pets is the same. When in-cabin, a flight attendant will take your pet from you before landing (if I recall correctly) and hand it to the state employee who will be waiting on the jetway when the door is opened. For in cargo pets, they get transferred automatically, usually within 30 minutes. Then you walk over to the airport facility and do your paperwork and talk to the state employees.

When you carry the pet in-cabin, you obviously tell the attendant that you have a pet, and they will tell you how it has to be placed under the seat in front of you and that you should never, ever, open the carrier. They should also let you know when to expect them to come by to pick up the pet. When we flew with the cats in cargo, we asked the attendant to notify the pilot that we had pets in cargo and to please make sure the temperature down there was not too hot or too cold. No need to really insist, there's nothing you can do about it really.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Thank you all for the wonderful information, very much appreciated and very helpful to ease pre-move anxieties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu