Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 01:29 PM

181 posts, read 175,585 times

Advertisements

I have lived in both locations. I live in Santa Barbara for six years from 1989 until 1994. The cost of housing is significantly more expensive and depending on what part of the city you live in, you are always keeping up with the Joneses, putting on airs, going to the best restaurants. There is a ton of culture in Santa Barbara. For a while I was a provisional docent at the Santa Barbara Museum of Art. Now loading on the big Island, it’s a much slower pace. However if I had to compare living in Honolulu versus living in Santa Barbara, I would take Santa Barbara. Probably because in terms of traveling it’s easier to get to other parts of the country if you wanted to do that. But the beaches and activities are pretty spectacular in Santa Barbara. The reality is that I just cannot afford to own a home there and have an ocean view. When I was living there, I was renting. I moved south to the Ventura area to buy my first home but if I had to do it all over again I would stay in Santa Barbara and save and scrimp until I can afford to buy something. From an investment potential that city cannot be beat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 01:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
But the beaches and activities are pretty spectacular in Santa Barbara.
They may look nice - but as I write this, the sea temp in Santa Barbara is 56 degrees - the sea temp around Kailua-Kona is 77 degrees. Personally, I can't swim in 56 degree ocean temperatures.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 PM

7 posts, read 9,483 times
Just as a side note. The ocean off the California coast is cold because of upwelling, cold deep water coming to the surface.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upwelling?wprov=sfti1

Old 04-21-2019, 12:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton View Post
Just as a side note. The ocean off the California coast is cold because of upwelling, cold deep water coming to the surface.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upwelling?wprov=sfti1
And the current is coming from......Alaska.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:02 AM

108 posts, read 81,078 times
Honolulu as long as it means I can live in Hawaii Kai... or at least upper punch bowl area.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 PM

129 posts, read 118,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWorx View Post
Hi Honuman, I lived in Kona for 4 years and wondering if SB has a simular community feel? Kona has a small town feel where most know everyone and a natural community concern for others which is a beautiful thing and I'm seeking something simular to that calmness too. Lived in Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, Los Angeles and both Oahu and east/west big island too. Thank you kindly for any advise.
Ha! I was randomly browsing the Oahu forum, saw this thread, didn't pay attention to when it was created, saw a post by a person who attended a grad school based in SB, assumed it had to be the same one I attended, read the name of the poster... and saw that it was me! I dropped off of City-Data for a while starting in 2014, and when I tried to log back in as Honuman, I received an error saying that no such account existed. So I tried to recreate it, and I received an error saying that the account already existed. I decided that the easiest thing to do was register under a new name.

Anyway, I'm not qualified to answer your question, sorry. I only spent those few days in SB and haven't been back since, and I don't know anyone who lives there. I've visited Kona several times, but the place I know best is Hilo, my wife's home town. That definitely has a community feel. On every vacation we take to Hilo, we always make an overnight trip or two Kona. I resurface on the Hawaii forums when we think we'll be able to move to Hilo, but we always reach a financial stumbling block. My wife retired last fall, and I have a job from which I can telecommute. Unfortunately, my company's health-insurance policy doesn't extend to Hawaii, and I can't afford what I'd have to pay through HMSA or Kaiser. I still have a few years before I'm eligible for Medicare. And so we remain in remain in Oregon and visit Hawaii every couple years.

I, too, lived in San Diego, Los Angeles, and the Bay Area as a kid, then lived in Atlanta for 25 years (my parents moved there for work), and have lived in Portland for the last 20 years. The quality of life here has declined over the past few years due to drugs, homelessness, city-government stupidities, and too many people moving here for what the infrastructure can support -- i.e., the same problems facing many cities today, including Honolulu. I love Honolulu, though, as well as the rest of Oahu, and of course the Big Island. When I turn 65, we'll reevaluate our moving options one last time.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:45 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
Ha! I was randomly browsing the Oahu forum, saw this thread, didn't pay attention to when it was created, saw a post by a person who attended a grad school based in SB, assumed it had to be the same one I attended, read the name of the poster... and saw that it was me! I dropped off of City-Data for a while starting in 2014, and when I tried to log back in as Honuman, I received an error saying that no such account existed. So I tried to recreate it, and I received an error saying that the account already existed. I decided that the easiest thing to do was register under a new name.

Anyway, I'm not qualified to answer your question, sorry. I only spent those few days in SB and haven't been back since, and I don't know anyone who lives there. I've visited Kona several times, but the place I know best is Hilo, my wife's home town. That definitely has a community feel. On every vacation we take to Hilo, we always make an overnight trip or two Kona. I resurface on the Hawaii forums when we think we'll be able to move to Hilo, but we always reach a financial stumbling block. My wife retired last fall, and I have a job from which I can telecommute. Unfortunately, my company's health-insurance policy doesn't extend to Hawaii, and I can't afford what I'd have to pay through HMSA or Kaiser. I still have a few years before I'm eligible for Medicare. And so we remain in remain in Oregon and visit Hawaii every couple years.

I, too, lived in San Diego, Los Angeles, and the Bay Area as a kid, then lived in Atlanta for 25 years (my parents moved there for work), and have lived in Portland for the last 20 years. The quality of life here has declined over the past few years due to drugs, homelessness, city-government stupidities, and too many people moving here for what the infrastructure can support -- i.e., the same problems facing many cities today, including Honolulu. I love Honolulu, though, as well as the rest of Oahu, and of course the Big Island. When I turn 65, we'll reevaluate our moving options one last time.
Thank you for your response, and update on yourself. Understand how had to change name on City-Data.
Best of luck in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu