Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM

15 posts, read 51,605 times

Advertisements

I know bugs (roaches in particular) are an inseparable part of life in Hawaii. However, I am curious if the bug problem tends to be better in the Waikiki high rises. When I say better I mean relatively few roaches and no centipedes/cane spiders. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Nope - they climb up the walls of the building/staircases.

I was recently greeted on the 25th floor of the Sheraton Waikiki with a massive cockroach in the bathtub - I tied drowning it, crushing it with the drain, squeezing a towel around it - and then put it in the garbage. An hour or so later it was still alive trying to escape - I figured after so many near death experiences it deserved a reprieve and let it go on the lanai.

Centipedes are the same way - seem them crawl up the side of the building and make their way in. And, yep - spiders also.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM

15 posts, read 51,605 times
Are the centipedes/spiders common even in the high rises? That really surprises me. The other area I'm looking at is Hawaii Kai. Probably a condo complex. I'm sure the bug situation is the same there, but please enlighten me if I'm wrong... Where on the island are bugs the least issue?

Thanks again!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Common? I don't know - you may never see one - I've seen both centipedes and roaches in nice and upscale buildings in Waikiki. Personal opinion is more bugs/roaches in Hawaii Kai - I have a rental out there and they seem much more common - I'd think the leeward/dry sides of the island where it is more desert like would be the better area to avoid bugs/centipedes/roaches.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:51 PM

This site suggests roaches are more common in high rises.

"There are several things that will contribute to a roach problem too. Such as where you live. That is, if you live in a building with other people, such as apartments or high-rise buildings"

Cockroach Page

Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM

38 posts, read 73,144 times
Depends on the building and the caliber of the occupants. I lived in an upscale condo in Maikiki for years on the 24th floor and never once saw any bugs. I'm sure if I had lived in a high rise in, say, Salt Lake, things may have been different.

The critters crawl up down and sideways here. I once hung a wetsuit outside on a clothesline (not under a tree either) and the next morning there was a nice fat centipede sleeping inside of it. Clever guy -- he had to tightrope walk his way over to the suit after he climbed the pole. How'd he do that?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisski View Post
I know bugs (roaches in particular) are an inseparable part of life in Hawaii. However, I am curious if the bug problem tends to be better in the Waikiki high rises. When I say better I mean relatively few roaches and no centipedes/cane spiders. Thanks!
If having bugs showing up as uninvited guests is a "deal breaker" for you, then you should know from the get-go that you will find bugs about everywhere in Hawaii. Some buildings (offices, condos, etc) have a pest-control maintenance program that will keep the bug population down. (But, that also means having pesticides sprayed inside your home/office... some folks don't want that in their environment.)

If you realllyyy hate bugs, how will you handle having a 3 inch cockroach bombard you as you walk through the park, or the centipede scamper across your foot while in the parking lot, or the tiny scorpion crawl out of your closet (how did it ever get there??)? Hawaii has bugs, bugs, bugs. Even if you don't have them at work, it might be at home, or at the store, or on the beach, or hiking ....

Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM

152 posts, read 372,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
If having bugs showing up as uninvited guests is a "deal breaker" for you, then you should know from the get-go that you will find bugs about everywhere in Hawaii. Some buildings (offices, condos, etc) have a pest-control maintenance program that will keep the bug population down. (But, that also means having pesticides sprayed inside your home/office... some folks don't want that in their environment.)

If you realllyyy hate bugs, how will you handle having a 3 inch cockroach bombard you as you walk through the park, or the centipede scamper across your foot while in the parking lot, or the tiny scorpion crawl out of your closet (how did it ever get there??)? Hawaii has bugs, bugs, bugs. Even if you don't have them at work, it might be at home, or at the store, or on the beach, or hiking ....

Will not say where, since the "posting police" may have a heart attack, but there is a fun way to deal with bugs called a bug zapper. It uses an AA battery in the handle, which overall looks like a small tennis racket or racketball racket. The "voltage effective part" is a metal coated, "center interior mesh", between two exterior meshes, mounted in the plastic racket. Press the little button that turns a little light green on the handle. Then, just either sweep the air and hear a "pop-crack etc" and little "no see ums " vanish. Same for ANY flying invaders, bees, whatever. Or, a centipede, cockroach, spider, touch them gently with the racket mesh, and "pop-crack etc " and they are then part of history. Eliminates debris from squashing or smacking, just toss them into the toilet or trash, " fried". Wall climbers, just place UNDER them, and slowly embrace the object between the racket and wall. then, "pop-crack sizzle" goodbye. NO wall imprints or marred paint either. Battery seems to last quite a while. Try "budk"..OK?
If we cannot eliminate the total problem, at least we can have fun dealing with them .

Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM

242 posts, read 391,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Nope - they climb up the walls of the building/staircases.

I was recently greeted on the 25th floor of the Sheraton Waikiki...I figured after so many near death experiences it deserved a reprieve and let it go on the lanai.
Did you give it RedBull and see if it would grow wings as it fell/was tossed from the lanai?

Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM

I never said I tossed it. I believe I said it got a reprieve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu