Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM

892 posts, read 2,393,343 times

Advertisements

Can someone help me out with a newbie question? I'm trying to determine how public school selection works for a family living on Oahu, and according to what I can find of Hawaii state law it sounds like students attend specific schools based on the "service area" location of their primary residence (similar to most places on the mainland, makes sense to me).

What I can't seem to locate are any clear/concise maps or diagrams showing just how these "complex areas" and "districts" work exactly? Specifically, I'm looking at the Windward district and trying to determine where the geographic boundaries are that separate the service area of Kailua High School from that of Kalaheo High School. I apologize if this is a really basic concept or if I'm getting the terms wrong, but for whatever reason my Google skills have been failing me in figuring this out.

PLEASE resist the urge to derail this post with discussions of public schools versus private schools or comparisons between these two high schools, that's not what I'm asking about. I'm just trying to learn how exactly public school attendance/selection works and where the official resources are online that explain which street addresses, or blocks, or neighborhoods go with which schools. Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Apparently the same question was asked on here a few years back - and nobody then had any luck either.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/oahu/...ic-school.html

Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
I've noticed, at least on Maui, if you look up a residential condo listed on the Multiple Listing Service, you can check right there to see which schools serve the address. Not sure if that might help you on Oahu?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM

You can do that on Oahu also but there apparently is no public map of school boundaries which is kind of odd.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,828,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Can someone help me out with a newbie question? I'm trying to determine how public school selection works for a family living on Oahu, and according to what I can find of Hawaii state law it sounds like students attend specific schools based on the "service area" location of their primary residence (similar to most places on the mainland, makes sense to me).

What I can't seem to locate are any clear/concise maps or diagrams showing just how these "complex areas" and "districts" work exactly? Specifically, I'm looking at the Windward district and trying to determine where the geographic boundaries are that separate the service area of Kailua High School from that of Kalaheo High School. I apologize if this is a really basic concept or if I'm getting the terms wrong, but for whatever reason my Google skills have been failing me in figuring this out.

PLEASE resist the urge to derail this post with discussions of public schools versus private schools or comparisons between these two high schools, that's not what I'm asking about. I'm just trying to learn how exactly public school attendance/selection works and where the official resources are online that explain which street addresses, or blocks, or neighborhoods go with which schools. Mahalo!
Unfortunately, Hawaii's DOE does not have a requisite site for parents to type in their address and find out the geographic school associated with that address. What they do have for each island is an overall map keyed to the high school(s) in a geographic area. Maybe this will help you.

Find mySchool on O'ahu

Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,612 times
http://doe.k12.hi.us/myschool/complexareas_about.htm

This map can be used to find the general boundary lines for the complexes statewide, and for more specific information you can call the complex office. According to the DOE, they are working on an interactive map to launch in June 2013 or so.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 PM

MAHALO everyone! Such wonderful feedback, you folks are the best!

I'm glad I wasn't going crazy or doing a horrible job of searching, sounds like what I'm looking for just doesn't really exist (yet). Kind of reminds me of when I was looking for a system wide map of the bus system (and eventually found out they were in the process of updating it so it wasn't available online).

Fingers crossed that my wife's employment situation comes to some certainty soon (things are looking good). If everything pans out and we start making our plans for the late summer then I'll start calling up offices and getting as much detail as I can. In the meantime in case anyone else comes across this thread trying to answer a similar question I'll post that not-so-detailed map image since it's "as good as it gets" for now:

Perhaps what I'll do for the time being is blow that up and lay it over a detailed map of the southern windward side of Oahu to see where that Kalaheo/Kailua border appears to lay down. If it seems like the squiggles match up with a series of streets or geographical formations on a real map, I'll try to Photoshop something useful and post it back here. Wish us luck, and thanks again to everyone. Aloha for now...

Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 PM

From the look of the map - the Kailua zone ends at the Kaneohe city limit on the West and includes Waimanalo on East......The South boundary doesn't matter since that is mountains/no houses.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
In the meantime in case anyone else comes across this thread trying to answer a similar question I'll post that not-so-detailed map image since it's "as good as it gets" for now:
Sorry, I know you meant well, but there is a copyright notice at the bottom of that map which reads:

Quote:
© Hawaii State Department of Education, P.O. Box 2360, Honolulu, HI 96804; Physical address: 1390 Miller St, Honolulu, HI 96813; phone: 808-586-3230; fax: 808-586-3234. All rights reserved. For problems/questions concerning this web site, please email the webmaster. Links to other web sites should not be considered an endorsement. DOE is not responsible for the content of external web sites.
That means you've violated the Terms of Service here, which prohibits posting copyrighted material.

It's OK to post links to copyrighted material, but not the material itself.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sorry, I know you meant well, but there is a copyright notice at the bottom of that map which reads...
If a mod needs to cut it, that's fine. This forum doesn't let a user edit a post after a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
From the look of the map - the Kailua zone ends at the Kaneohe city limit on the West and includes Waimanalo on East......The South boundary doesn't matter since that is mountains/no houses.
It's not so much the perimeter of the "Windward District" that interests me (the brown region in the map) as the little squiggly border running between Kalaheo and Kailua "service areas" inside that district (hope I'm using all that terminology correctly, I think I am).

It took me a minute to notice it, see the "Kalaheo" written out in the water? I take that to mean that the part-of-the-brown that's above the thin black line is Kalaheo High and the part-of-the-brown that's below the thin black line is Kailua High. Of course, I could be misinterpreting the map.

It looks to me like that line follows either some roads, or the inlet of water that crosses Kailua east/west, or some combination of both and then hooks around the golf course near the coast. When I sit down at my other computer and play with Google Maps and Photoshop a it might become more clear.

Last edited by khyron; 02-14-2013 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu