Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:45 PM

26 posts, read 70,229 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find the most reasonably priced means of shipping my 1 br from the mid-Atlantic to Hawaii. Reasonably priced means that I would rather avoid loading a container or pallets with Matson, but that I also want to stay at around $3,000. The items I need to bring with me are two power-reclining armchairs (3 large boxes), TV (1 large box) a full size bed, books, LCD screen, printer, and kitchen and clothing items.

I've read this forum quite a bit and will consider some suggestions such as flat-rate USPS shipping boxes, additional airline baggage. UPS charges (large) 18x18x24 boxes holding 60 pounds $237.

Can I ship items in bubble wrap with any of the carriers or would I need supersized cardboard boxes? The bed disassembles to 3 beams (80x7) a head board (60x36x3) and a footboard (50x36x3). Any ideas on the best way to ship that?

Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
I'll be honest, I don't think UPS or USPS or carry-on luggage will help much in your situation. It seems unlikely to me you'll be able to move those big items from the mid-Atlantic on your budget.

You can check with the sub-container shippers PODS and ReloCube, but I think something in this equation will need to change... ship less, or pay more.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 PM

21 posts, read 31,093 times
I have actually been researching similar things this week - as we would love to bring one larger piece of furniture and some household goods if we could, but are just fine getting rid of all the rest. Matson apparently doesn't do partial loads anymore, and you might as well pay for a full 20 foot container from them than doing ReloCube/U-pack (PODS doesn't go to Hawaii) - as it actually costs more to do a tiny ReloCube than it would to load up a 20-foot Matson container.

That said, according to the representative I talked to at Matson, you would still need to pay a couple hundred extra for them to truck the container off of the dock to a parking lot nearby (you would have to call the parking lot place ahead of time and see if that's okay with them), due to some newer homeland security protocols. (Even with these extra charges, for us it was still cheaper to do a 20-ft container with Matson (about 2700 total - plus 126-180 dollars for a uhaul trailer - and we'd have a lot more space to ship whatever we want that we wouldn't have to re-buy in Hawaii) than u-pack/Relocube (about $3700 - convenient, yes, but you spend more and get much less space)

I think the whole homeland security docking rule is a little weird because you can drive your car right onto the dock to have it loaded, but you can't bring a u-haul in and load up a container on the dock. Go figure.

My talk with the representative wasn't completely fruitless, though: He referred me to a company that uses Matson shipping who apparently do partial loads and then drive the container for Matson to ship: Forwarders.com I submitted an inquiry a couple of days ago and haven't heard from them yet, so who knows? The next thing I'm going to try is the other thing he suggested: "Google 'LCL load Hawaii'." LCL stands for "Less than Container Load."

Honestly, if you and I can't figure out the LCL stuff, I can't think of any more options. MAYBE we could figure out something through shiptohawaii.com, but it will quite likely cost an arm and a leg, as shipping two small ikea couches directly from the ikea store to them than to Hawaii costs about $350 on top of the ikea shipping costs to them. I don't know if they would even be open to receiving a drop-off of furniture, and you'd still have to drive your stuff to California - as that's where they're located. :P

Anyhoo - I hope this helps! Best of luck to you!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Ok. I'm the queen of shipping and I've had a couple of gosh-awful blueberry beers (??!!) so let me advise you. Right now or yesterday, whichever comes first, go on U-ship. It's the best place to ship A.N.Y.T.H.I.N.G. If there's a will there's a way and there are some very hungry people out there. Granted, I've never used them to ship over the water. In fact they may not do that at all. I've shipped three horses from CO to TX, two horses from TX to MS, one Great Dane from TN to TX. (do you see a pattern here?) I digress. U-ship allows you to log in, enter your trip (IE: one big horse from Dallas to Memphis) and that's it. Before you know it there are several shippers offering to ship your stuff for X-amount. If no one bids on your trip then - look somewhere else. But if anyone in the world takes care of those kinds of shipments, you'll get a bid. It's free. No muss. No fuss. *now where's that bottle opener*

Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbliss View Post
(PODS doesn't go to Hawaii)
PODS has an office and facility in Honolulu, which handles shipping from and to the mainland, and also does inter-island shipping.

Hawaii Moving and Storage

Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
There is a third option and that is static deck cargo. Pasha Hawaii has the ability to handle static deck cargo inside their ships. You will need to obtain an approved shipping container, (metal, wood, cardboard) and it should be palletized (with runners) to lower the handling surcharges. The lowest cost is to buy a used wooden crate or a new DW or TW cardboard container with attached runners. Since there are several options from them picking it up, you delivering it to them, them delivering it to you and you picking it up, it's best to contact them to get a quote based on the size, weight and handling option.

Although we have shipped our products to Hawaii in containers, the bulk is shipped as static deck cargo because it may be the size of a stove or as big as 6 refrigerators. Anything below 100lbs (dishwasher box size) probably is cheapest via UPS. The best bargain is the 40' container, followed by the 20' containers. After those two, the rates may end up as much as the 20' for so much less weight and dimensions.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I wonder if you could partner up with someone on a 40'?

Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Thanks to everyone for your help. Here are the dimensions of the larger items. I can do $4000 max.

Armchairs: = 2x (42.5x39x29) = 2x115 lbs. These break into two pieces, but the largest piece is about 40x30x29
TV: (60x35x11) 91 lbs with insurance $597
Bed frame: ~70 pds, 3x side and center beams 80x7x2, headboard 60x36x3, footboard 50x26x3
The mattress is optional it's two boxes 43x19x24, each is approx 69lbs

It seems so bizarre that shipping larger items is so difficult. I'll investigate and let people know. One of the problems with doing a Matson container is picking up the items in Honolulu where I will be carrying items on my own.

Any further ideas are appreciated.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:05 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You can't buy a bed and 2 armchairs new after you reach Hawaii for $4000?

Old 04-28-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You can't buy a bed and 2 armchairs new after you reach Hawaii for $4000?
The money is to meet relocation costs not to buy new stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: