Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
It's supposed to hit Oahu by six this evening, last I heard.
Yes, with the peak around 9pm. Still sunny at the airport (11am) but the wind has picked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:12 PM

431 posts, read 939,602 times
Mix of sun and clouds in Kailua with brief light showers. Warm and STEAMY.
Took down the hanging baskets and anything that could fly around the yard.
Heading out to town in a few minutes then I'm coming home to hunker down and hope for the best.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Oh man just u and your ohanas be safe now!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:54 PM

431 posts, read 939,602 times
Sunny, cloudy, rainy in town, all at once. And STEAMY.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:12 PM

106 posts, read 230,039 times
Thought maybe I could get a little beach time in this afternooon at ala moana park, but I guess not. Its raining off and on downtown.. I was looking at the Sheraton Waikiki web cam and no one is in the water (they were an hour and a half ago) and it looks rainy over there too.

oh well, no swimming for me.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
1:30 pm Waikoloa/West Hawaii. Some short heavy showers, totally overcast, humid, little wind. The birds are coming out between rain bursts. The rain is needed and great. I am thankful there are not destructive winds. I hope the other islands have the same good luck.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Hilo feeling it now: 1:30pm

Hilo side of Big Island feeling Flossie's effects - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

You can also see a webcam of Hilo Bay from hawaiinewsnow

HILO, HAWAII (HawaiiNewsNow) -
Big Island residents are reporting high winds, flying debris and trees snapping as Tropical Storm Flossie moves across the island chain.

Forecasters say the heavy rain has begun to fall on the Big Island and is expected to begin shortly over Maui County. Flossie is expected to produce rainfall amounts of 2 – 4 inches over the Big Island with isolated amounts up to 6 inches, according to the National Weather Service.

At 11:53 a.m., the National Weather Service recorded a 32 mph gust at Hilo International Airport.
Big Island officials say route 132 between Nanawale and Lava Tree park is closed due to down trees and power lines. They recommend using Leilani Avenue to bypass. There is also a report of a power outage in Pahoa.
Kaumana rssident, Tyler Knorr, tells Hawaii News Now "the wind is blowing trees taller than 80 feet around like it's nothing."
High surf is also a factor, affecting east shores of Maui and the Big Island.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:35 PM

258 posts, read 421,667 times
Thanks for the updates! I can see the concern about the flying coconuts, I get concerned about the apples from the tree we have when we get storms here. Coconuts are so much bigger!

I suspect some of the poeple on the mainland who are overly concerned maybe have never gone through a tropical storm? We had a couple tropical storms here and one low category hurricane since I moved here, and the concern is flooding more than anything and other than that they're really not a huge deal. Yeah there's strong winds and can be strong rain, but nothing worse than a strong thunderstorm.

Sounds like this one has some of the stronger winds hitting the islands though than we usually get here from ours!

~Katy

Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 PM

106 posts, read 230,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
Thanks for the updates! I can see the concern about the flying coconuts, I get concerned about the apples from the tree we have when we get storms here. Coconuts are so much bigger!

I suspect some of the poeple on the mainland who are overly concerned maybe have never gone through a tropical storm? We had a couple tropical storms here and one low category hurricane since I moved here, and the concern is flooding more than anything and other than that they're really not a huge deal. Yeah there's strong winds and can be strong rain, but nothing worse than a strong thunderstorm.

Sounds like this one has some of the stronger winds hitting the islands though than we usually get here from ours!

~Katy
Im guessing storms are storms regardless and people on the mainland experience bad rains and winds just as much as we do. In fact, I dont think it gets that bad here. At least in Honolulu, I can seemingly count the number of torrential downpours on two hands that come to mind in the past 8 years. I may be wrong, and there very well may have been more, but rainy Honolulu is not a description I would use. Although this year has been odd weather wise.,..but I sort of wish we got to experience some something as depicted in Somerset Maugham's novel "Rain and other South Seas Stories". lol yes, Im a visionary...

I am guessing coconuts in urban areas are pretty much denuded or denutted, what ever it is called. I don't ever recall seeing one in town or anywhere that I can recall? Are there a variety of coconut trees which have no nuts? I know in the south pacific, where its impossible to remove the nuts for the most part, (except maybe in Papeete or Suva or Nadi.., more urban areas) you will always hear the unmistakeable sound of the coocnut falling to the ground, Thump. Thump. thump. I just don't see to see the average coconut nut laying randomly on the ground.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post

~Katy
Yes katy, some of us mainlanders are former Hawai'i residents. For me i was in the big storm in 80 in oahu. Nothing is more scary for a kid then feeling the skyscraper u live in rock back and forth from the heavy winds. And the flash flooding is terrible there. I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu