Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 12:14 AM

69 posts, read 314,001 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I got another question. This is about a tenant, his son, his girlfriend, and her two children, who recently moved into my folks' house on the Windward side.

These are not the tenants I was talking about in my flying ant thread, as they are nice and live on our current property in Manoa area.

Anyhow, the guy recently moved in this past weekend. When I first met him to show him the Windward house, he seemed nice and friendly. He's a local Japanese guy. Same for his new girlfriend. I selected him to move into my parents' home based on his "selected" references. He signed the contract and pertinent paperwork this past weekend. My mother was there on the day he signed the lease paperwork, andd she didn't like him right off the bat because he seemed shady and very cold and standoff-ish. He only paid for the pro-rated rent for October, and told me that he will give me the security deposit in the middle of October. I found that weird.

Fast forward to yesterday, my parents and I went over to the property to trim the grass because it was growing pretty long, and we never trimmed it for almost two months. Same for branches that needed trimming.

Rather than coming out of the house to greet us, the guy and his son stayed in the house. We initially thought that they weren't home....although the running washing machine gave it away that the guy was doing laundry yesterday morning before we arrived at the property. When i was cutting the grass on the side of the house away from the washing machine, the guy quickly darted out of the house after the washing machine turned off, threw all of his clothes into the dryer, and darted back into the house without saying "hi" or acknowledging our presence.

I then went to the otherside of the house where there were long growing grasses, cut the grass, and the guy and his small son, closes the front door, locks it, and proceeds into the car without saying hi to me. He then took off with his son.

Two hours later, he came back home. He saw that I was cutting grass in front of the house. Rather than come out of the car, he stayed in the driver seat with his son seated in the passenger seat.

I didn't have any ugly Halloween mask on....so I don't know why he was frightened of me. My tenants in the past usually say hi, or at least give my parents and I water to drink if we come to maintain the yard.

He finally got out of the car 10 minutes (I kid you not) after arriving on the property.

He unloaded a mini refrigerator and took it into the house.

Half and hour later, the girlfriend arrives in her 'large' white SUV. You would think that she would greet my parents and me...right? Wrong! She got out of her car, and told me, "ey, where is XXXXX...tell him move his car." I was like "sheesh."

She went into the house and slammed the door.

After my parents and I were done cutting the grass with the weed wacker, as well as doing other yard work, we simply left. Since the guy and his girlfriend were very cold to us, we didn't even bother to tell them good bye.

Fast forward to today, I get my criminal background check result back from an online company I use to screen my tenants. When I did my background check on this tenant guy two days ago, the online company stated that he has good credit....etc. However, what's funny is that a different name shows up on the address history list. It has a Filipino person's name on the previous address list area of the report. So I am wondering if this guy has stolen somebody's SSN, and is using it?

Getting back to the online background check, criminal case section of the report, there was one hit of a criminal case against the guy - a class C felony of theft.

I got more curious about this new tenant so I Googled around on the internet, and came upon a website called Ho'ohiki. It is a website linked to the Hawaii Judicial system that has past criminal cases upon people in Hawaii.

There was a long LONG list that populated when I entered his lastname and firstname. ALL of them were linked to him.

First give cases were divorce cases. Can you believe this guy has divorced THREE different women?

Two of the three even filed TRO's against this guy. Now that is giving me the creeps.

Next, I look at the other cases, and they are linked to the Felony Theft Class C case that showed up on my internet background check. I don't know what kind of conviction this guy got.

Now get this. The next six links that populated under his name relate to landlords and apartment owners going to civil court to sue him for property damage. That's when i realized that "oh, I am f--ked."

This guy has LIED to me on his rental application about his previous resident addresses.

He has been sued by a large apartment company in downtown, which I will not disclose, and they're doing wage garnishment on him.

Two others are sole mom and pop type of landlords, like my family, who rented their houses to this guy,....all addresses in the Windward area.

So the question is guys........what can I do in this case? By looking at the DAMAGES he has done to previous landlords' property, I cannot risk having this guy wreck my parents house.....especially since it has been renovated very nicely couple of years ago.

His second job is an instructor at a gun-shooting school on Oahu.....so he's a type of guy you might not want to f--k around with. He also has prior army reserve training and bragged to me about shooting many kinds of guns.

His primary job is a security guard at a private school on Oahu....which I will not disclose.

My sole concern is that this guy and his girlfriend is going to do the same thing and damage my parents' home. What can I do??????!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Talk to an attorney.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousKapono80 View Post
My sole concern is that this guy and his girlfriend is going to do the same thing and damage my parents' home. What can I do??????!!!!!
In a situation such as this, it might be best to consider paying them to vacate the premises.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:17 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
He didn't have the security deposit. That was a clue that you ignored. He talked about shooting lots of guns. That was a clue that you ignored.

Not running a criminal background check until after they moved in was a mistake. Letting them move in without a security deposit was a mistake. And now their weird behavior and the background check shows that it was all a big mistake on your part.

Talk to an attorney immediately. This is going to cost you some money, but you're better off dealing with it now than later. Sorry, but it's not going to get any better.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:53 AM

100 posts, read 269,892 times
I think your best first move would be to watch the movie "Pacific Heights" several times just to get an idea of what to expect, and then consult with an attorney.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:49 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Landlord/ tenant laws in Hawaii are severely slanted in favor of the tenants. So I second the "lawyer" suggestion. If you unwittingly make a legal mistake, it is going to get very difficult for you. You want to do this exactly right.

If it is going to be bad no matter what you do, you might as well yank the bandage off and get it over with all at once, deal with the damage, and get on with your life. Waiting and hoping it gets better rarely works out well.

I hope that you will at least come away from it having learned a lesson about screening a lot tougher. Never let tenants in until all screening has been completed. You let that guy in and after he was in, you did the screening.

Never let a tenant in until all fees, rents, and deposits are paid.

By the way, I do not expect any tenants to come out and socialize while I do work around the property. We aren't friends. It's a business arrangement, not a social arrangement. The other things that you see as problems, are problems.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:07 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Landlord/ tenant laws in Hawaii are severely slanted in favor of the tenants. .
As a Honolulu landlord for over 30 years I don't agree with this. Perhaps you have some support. I think the better statement would be... Landlord/ tenant laws in Hawaii are severely slanted in favor of the tenants that have STUPID landlords.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:26 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
IF it is indeed the same person - and you need to be very careful about accusing him at this point - it seems odd that he is working at a school as a security guard after having several TRO's against him? Also, anyone with a TRO in force, in Hawaii, MUST turn in all of their guns to the police for "safekeeping" until the TRO is lifted.

IF he indeed did lie about name, previous addresses, etc. on his rental application with you, most likely that application can be considered null and void as it is fraudulent.

Contact an attorney, immediately.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousKapono80 View Post
When I did my background check on this tenant guy two days ago, the online company stated that he has good credit....etc. However, what's funny is that a different name shows up on the address history list. It has a Filipino person's name on the previous address list area of the report. So I am wondering if this guy has stolen somebody's SSN, and is using it?
Could be nothing. Maybe he lived with a different guy whose name was on the lease. But the key thing is, did you check his ID, so you know who you are dealing with?

Did you contact a lawyer yet?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Talk to an attorney immediately. This is going to cost you some money, but you're better off dealing with it now than later. Sorry, but it's not going to get any better.
The OP and the OP's folks might be dealing with a "professional tenant." A smart attorney would simply draft a "cash for keys" agreement for all parties to sign ASAP. Offer the tenants a couple of months' rent to leave the premises in good condition and vacate within a week. It might also prove helpful to make up some story about having to sell the property to avoid foreclosure or something to garner the tenants' sympathy. If the tenants don't go for the "cash for keys" offer, prepare to go through a somewhat drawn out eviction process and if they "lawyer up", they can probably manage to remain in the premises "rent free" for several months. Hopefully, these tenants aren't anything like Mark Newton of Newark, New Jersey...
Carter: Landlords say Newark man refuses to pay rent, trashes apartments, then ties them up in court | NJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu