Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 10,306 times

Advertisements

I find on this forum that a lot of people struggle with living in Hawaii. It's expensive, it's crowded, horrible traffic, poor paying jobs, hidden homelessness (ie. 40 year olds who live with parents still because on their own they could not afford a roof over their heads) and overt rampant homelessness. I love many parts of Hawaii, the sun, the beach, the lifestyle but it's not all it's cracked up to be. I lived on Oahu for 9 years and left back in 08.

For all those who struggle with moving back to the mainland don't give up. I did a lot of research and found a wonderful area called Tri-Cities, WA and I moved there. I took a huge leap of faith but I have absolutely no regrets. We have over 300 days of sunshine a year here. Yes, it's cold in the winter but the sun is shining. This is desert topography, not the rainy northwest of Seattle. It starts getting in the 80s in May through end of September. They call it the Palm Springs of Washington. Only 7 inches of rain a year. The people here are so friendly, truly, way more friendly than in Hawaii. The kindness of strangers here has truly blown my socks off sometimes. I have had flat tires fixed for free, bags of produce from home gardens given to me from coworkers, opportunities to volunteer in community events, etc. It's in the middle of 3 major rivers and fishing from the bank is a lot of fun. I've learned to love fishing. This area grows a lot of grapes, lots of vineyards. Wine is plentiful and cheap

I was able to buy a 2 bd condo 1000 sq feet for $88,000. Crazy, right? Some women want to have a baby when they're 35 but I wanted to BUY a place to live, a roof over my head that I OWNED. It was a scratch that I NEEDED to itch (and by the way, I still don't have baby fever and don't think I ever will, which is totally fine with me). I am a saver, not a spender, and I have managed to pay it off in 4 years! But that's what you can do when your mortgage is 464 a month! That would be IMPOSSIBLE to say in Hawaii. I found a job that pays good for here ($15/hr to start but now I'm up to 18) but would be considered barely getting by in Hawaii and is a lot less than I was making when I left Hawaii. However, here I pay $1.99 for a gallon of milk, $2 for 1 lb of butter, whole chickens 98 cents/lb, pork chops 1.38/lb, 2.49 for 12 pack of pepsi, 32 cents/lb bananas, $1.78 for 18 large eggs, (I don't eat bread but it's about 1.49 loaf for the good kind and 99cents for the fluffy white kind). You get the idea. I eat very well (low carb) for $50 a week, if that. I can afford to entertain, have people over for nice dinners.

In the 5 years I have lived here, not making a fortune by any means, but working steady 40 hours/week and not eating out a lot I have managed to pay off a home and a car and (added bonus) lose 30 lb. I am debt free, have money in savings for emergencies and have discretionary income. I can even finally give money to causes I believe in and locally here to charities who help those who have not had my fortune.

Above all I thank God for giving me the courage to leave and leap without looking. I love Hawaii, God loves Hawaii too but Hawaii is not for everyone. I thought I'd live there forever, and a part of me always will, (I watch Hawaii Life and anything Hawaii related) but after I got laid off I realized how hand to mouth I was living and I was literally months away from being homeless myself! If you need to move, take that leap of faith.

Well, that's my story. I hope it will help someone who needs some words of encouragement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 03:53 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayWA View Post
I find on this forum that a lot of people struggle with living in Hawaii. It's expensive, it's crowded, horrible traffic, poor paying jobs, hidden homelessness (ie. 40 year olds who live with parents still because on their own they could not afford a roof over their heads) and overt rampant homelessness. I love many parts of Hawaii, the sun, the beach, the lifestyle but it's not all it's cracked up to be. I lived on Oahu for 9 years and left back in 08.

For all those who struggle with moving back to the mainland don't give up. I did a lot of research and found a wonderful area called Tri-Cities, WA and I moved there. I took a huge leap of faith but I have absolutely no regrets. We have over 300 days of sunshine a year here. Yes, it's cold in the winter but the sun is shining. This is desert topography, not the rainy northwest of Seattle. It starts getting in the 80s in May through end of September. They call it the Palm Springs of Washington. Only 7 inches of rain a year. The people here are so friendly, truly, way more friendly than in Hawaii. The kindness of strangers here has truly blown my socks off sometimes. I have had flat tires fixed for free, bags of produce from home gardens given to me from coworkers, opportunities to volunteer in community events, etc. It's in the middle of 3 major rivers and fishing from the bank is a lot of fun. I've learned to love fishing. This area grows a lot of grapes, lots of vineyards. Wine is plentiful and cheap

I was able to buy a 2 bd condo 1000 sq feet for $88,000. Crazy, right? Some women want to have a baby when they're 35 but I wanted to BUY a place to live, a roof over my head that I OWNED. It was a scratch that I NEEDED to itch (and by the way, I still don't have baby fever and don't think I ever will, which is totally fine with me). I am a saver, not a spender, and I have managed to pay it off in 4 years! But that's what you can do when your mortgage is 464 a month! That would be IMPOSSIBLE to say in Hawaii. I found a job that pays good for here ($15/hr to start but now I'm up to 18) but would be considered barely getting by in Hawaii and is a lot less than I was making when I left Hawaii. However, here I pay $1.99 for a gallon of milk, $2 for 1 lb of butter, whole chickens 98 cents/lb, pork chops 1.38/lb, 2.49 for 12 pack of pepsi, 32 cents/lb bananas, $1.78 for 18 large eggs, (I don't eat bread but it's about 1.49 loaf for the good kind and 99cents for the fluffy white kind). You get the idea. I eat very well (low carb) for $50 a week, if that. I can afford to entertain, have people over for nice dinners.

In the 5 years I have lived here, not making a fortune by any means, but working steady 40 hours/week and not eating out a lot I have managed to pay off a home and a car and (added bonus) lose 30 lb. I am debt free, have money in savings for emergencies and have discretionary income. I can even finally give money to causes I believe in and locally here to charities who help those who have not had my fortune.

Above all I thank God for giving me the courage to leave and leap without looking. I love Hawaii, God loves Hawaii too but Hawaii is not for everyone. I thought I'd live there forever, and a part of me always will, (I watch Hawaii Life and anything Hawaii related) but after I got laid off I realized how hand to mouth I was living and I was literally months away from being homeless myself! If you need to move, take that leap of faith.

Well, that's my story. I hope it will help someone who needs some words of encouragement.
That was an inspiring story. Many good wishes for your continued success! Thanks for sharing it.
I hope all of the people who want to move to Hawaii to "live off the land" will read it before they make the jump.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:00 PM

152 posts, read 372,054 times
I urge any/all that consider moving to Hawaii, live where you are first, as "IF" you lived in Hawaii with the lower wages, or not, but, the expenses of getting to Hawaii, and, "setting up" and afterwards. That means setting aside the SAME funds as though being spent in Hawaii. Do not touch them for a year. "IF" the funds and variables of life in Hawaii too, still attract you, go for it
knowing at least monetarily, it can work or not. Practicality can save you a LOT of later regrets. Accept " reality" and place
" denials " in a container marked " preserved regrets". Think about it. Tons of folks will have their perceptions, but, YOU are the one that will have to deal with YOUR decisions.

A superb story above and well stated !! Surely everyone will thank you for the information about your decision!

Old 10-12-2013, 09:17 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times
Thank you for your story. Good information for anyone wanting to make a change, and working hard to achieve that life. The information you provided in your story will help people if they are interested in making a move. It might help improve their outlook in life.
Best continued Luck, in my home State of Washington.
Scott

Old 10-13-2013, 12:58 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Thanks, thanks, thanks. I, too, have found that there is "Life After Hawaii".

Old 10-13-2013, 07:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,306 times
Default Life After Hawaii - what's your story?

Eureka, I really mean it literally, what a great idea for the title of an HGTV show that should air right after Hawaii Life Yes, well put, there definitely is life after Hawaii and it's that sentiment that was the marrow of the rather long posting, but hey it was my bone I created and my story to tell. I would love to hear other stories of people who actually improved the Quality of Life quotient after moving away from Hawaii. No bashing whatsoever, but it's kind of the antithesis of what is discussed here, and I just haven't seen a lot of stories from prior malihinis. I'll put it out there, talk story!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:20 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Thanks, thanks, thanks. I, too, have found that there is "Life After Hawaii".
Life After Hawaii - I believe I would call it; The After Life...

Old 10-14-2013, 03:13 PM

174 posts, read 349,184 times
Just adding to the OP forum name, it should be: JustSayWA

That was the dumbest tourism advertising slogan the State of Washington forked out big bucks for.

I do kid around and say: "Just Say Waah" though to my son a lot, and that gets a smirk from him.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM

7 posts, read 11,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
I urge any/all that consider moving to Hawaii, live where you are first, as "IF" you lived in Hawaii with the lower wages, or not, but, the expenses of getting to Hawaii, and, "setting up" and afterwards. That means setting aside the SAME funds as though being spent in Hawaii. Do not touch them for a year. "IF" the funds and variables of life in Hawaii too, still attract you, go for it
knowing at least monetarily, it can work or not. Practicality can save you a LOT of later regrets. Accept " reality" and place
" denials " in a container marked " preserved regrets". Think about it. Tons of folks will have their perceptions, but, YOU are the one that will have to deal with YOUR decisions.

A superb story above and well stated !! Surely everyone will thank you for the information about your decision!
Great advice here, very practical.

And to the OP, great perspective and so glad you found life in WA to be so agreeable. You live on the dry side of the state, to be sure! I'm over on the wet-dark-gray-eight-months-a-year side which is a beautiful, breathtaking, and amazing place to live exactly 2-4 (ish) months of the year.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 AM

872 posts, read 1,263,219 times
That's one heck of a story! Glad everything worked out for you. As they say, you must take big risks to get big rewards - you got your reward. Enjoy life! It sounds great up there. I'm not in HI, but even I want those grocery prices, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu