Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:47 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Considering it was 88 degrees when I was at Moon Shadows in Malibu yesterday, I need to come back to Hawaii to cool off.

But, to be serious, the sheer variety of things to do around and about LA isn't even close in Hawaii. See you at Universal Studios later.....
Southern California's coastal climate is sublime - probably the best in the country overall. Even up north its pretty good. I worked in Monterey with a woman of Samoan background who was raised on Oahu. I asked her if she ever missed Hawaii and she said only her family that was still there. She said there was no way she'd give up the cool, marine climate of the Monterey Peninsula. "I don't like to sweat" she said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 05:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The massive earthquakes and regular wildfires that are commonplace in LA County are almost unknown in Hawai'i.
Surprisingly, Hawai'i is #3 in both frequency and magnitude of earthquakes, after #1 Alaska and #2 California:

Top Earthquake States

Old 01-19-2014, 05:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Surprisingly, Hawai'i is #3 in both frequency and magnitude of earthquakes, after #1 Alaska and #2 California:
We've had some bad quakes the past 10 years, not the size and scope of Nothridge or the Bay Area quake during the series. But bad enough to cause damage and power outages.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 AM

17 posts, read 30,355 times
Default Liking Oahu

Moved here last summer after living in Los Angeles for eight years. I can say that I actually like Honolulu better than LA for many reasons. I am happy with my choice. You have to do your homework before moving here. Be aware of the cost for basic things (milk, electricity and other living staples) is quite high. You will live in a smaller place. Traffic is quite thick but the scenery makes it tolerable for me.

LA can be a very rude city. Bad drivers. Status obsessed for the sake of being so. Arrogant, pushy...could go on for quite a while. Some of the kindest, most generous people I have met are here on Honolulu.

In my opinion, Oahu seems to be is where it is at in Hawaii. There are almost 1 million people here and this is the hub for industry, business and government. The best job opportunities are here. Not been to the neighbor islands yet but opportunities there seem to be quite limited. Oahu has it all. Urban, suburban and rural. A major airport, University of Hawaii at Manoa and generally good shopping.

There is indeed crime but not with the same level of frequency, brutality or randomness. It is heavily concentrated in specific parts of Oahu. If you know what you are doing, you should be fine. Mind your business.

NO snakes, black widows here. Centipedes and ants can be a bit of a problem. Get Raid.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 AM

431 posts, read 939,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M808 View Post

NO snakes, black widows here. Centipedes and ants can be a bit of a problem. Get Raid.
One snake, a blind one that is totally innocuous, and looks more like a worm than a snake. And the occasional smuggled snake.
Totally wrong about the black widows. There are indeed venomous spiders here.

Venomous Spiders Native to Hawaii | Animals - PawNation

Oh, and scorpions too. A centipede bite, BTW, can be extremely nasty and they are so incredibly ugly.

Poisonous toads (bufos) whose poison can kill a dog in fifteen minutes if the dog mauls it with its mouth. The poison is exuded through the toad's skin. They are the slowest moving toads in the world---they don't move unless you stomp your foot right next to them and then they might react with a hop or two. They are on my lawn at night and in my garden. My dog has no interest in them.

No seagulls (except for the rare one that has hitchhiked on a boat) and sadly, no hummingbirds.

LA is one of my least favorite towns in the universe so I would vote for Honolulu over LA any day, for reasons far too numerous to list. Total no-brainer.

Last edited by PaliPatty; 01-20-2014 at 03:58 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 12:21 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:

Top Earthquake States
Look a little deeper at the numbers, and what they represent...

1973 to 2003 California had 4895 quakes, and 23.2% (1135) of them were of magnitude 3.5 or larger.
1973 to 2003 Hawai'i had 1533 quakes, and 7.3% (111) of them were of magnitude 3.5 or larger.

In simple terms, we get a lot of little quakes that don't do much.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:33 PM

24 posts, read 34,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We've had some bad quakes the past 10 years, not the size and scope of Nothridge or the Bay Area quake during the series. But bad enough to cause damage and power outages.
I've been told that we're a lot more susceptible to power outages in Hawaii because it's a stand-alone system as opposed to the interconnected grid that the mainland has. So even if it's a somewhat weak quake, they have to shut everything down then slowly bring the transformers or whatever back online one by one.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:39 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:

Top Earthquake States

The islands practically have earthquakes every day, but mainly small ones that are all but unnoticeable around the Big Island.

I've been here since '89 and the only one I can remember is the 6.8 and the slightly smaller once right before it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-05-2014, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,729 times
The general cost of living is higher on Oahu then in LA, there are just as many natural disasters in HI and CA and crime rates are probably pretty comparable.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:04 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I think from a safety perspective, Oahu is a better choice. Although there are problems with the supply chain for Hawaii, with food and other essentials. I understand that Oahu has about a one week supply of food on hand at any given time. If the food supply is cut off suddenly without warning, it could be a serious problem for some people that don't prepare and live hand to mouth on a daily basis. You can survive for years on rice and canned food if you keep a supply of food on hand just in case it is needed.
This is a strange implication. It implies that LA is somehow better, comparatively, if there was a 'sudden cut of the food supply'.

If such a said scenario were to occur, than living in LA over HNL isn't going to somehow provide manna from heaven. You'd basically have to be a rural farmer with a diverse set of food stocks to weather out such a scenario. Not choose LA over HNL and be 'safe' from such a said scenario.

Than, in your final sentence, you suggest rice and canned foods. Both HNL and LA readily sell both throughout all their stores. So, the food chain argument being argued, basically become a complete pointless argument altogether.

Sorry for picking that apart. But, the entire 'food chain' topic, which I've occasionally heard before, seemed worth addressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: