Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 PM

431 posts, read 940,592 times

Advertisements

And another thing.
Are you happy with "crap" on the mainland? Crap car, crap housing, crap education for your kids?
If not, the "it's okay we can put up with anything, we're in HAWAII!!!" stuff might wear thin, sooner than you think.
We never subscribed to that mentality but it works for some.
But more often than not, I've seen folks go with it for a year or two and then throw up their hands and leave.
Just sayin.'
:::Crawling back under blankets:::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 03:50 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,874,656 times
Relocube size. The standard ABF uPack ReloCube is a 6'3"D x 7'W x 8'4"H That's roughly the size of a tract home 9X5 full bath! At $6,000 that's about $16 per cubic foot! It would cost over $336 to ship a dresser that I got at Costco for less than $400.

It's not only size that makes some furniture inappropriate for Hawaii. I'd strongly consider how the furniture will deal with the salt air, humidity, and sand/volcanic grit. From what I've seen leather doesn't do well. I'd also be concerned about termites. Where are you guys buying this expensive furniture? Between Home World and Costco you can do some nice NEW furnishing. C.S. Wo, no unless it's on sale.

I'm not against shipping. I shipped a wall bed here from CA that I could not purchase here. I also found a new washer/dryer on a 12/31 sale that I got for $500 less than I could ever get on island. I used Honolulu Freight for a 40"x48" pallet for about $500 so I got the bed here for free with the w/d. I also stuffed the remaining space with new Costco stuff that was $2-10 cheaper in California. If this was used stuff I would have been charged about $200 more.

Shipping can make sense but you need to be aware of the actual costs and need.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostelDweller View Post
Both areas have different pluses for me. So...what are the 3 areas?

Thanks
Realtors generally divide Waikiki into Diamond Head probably started at Liliuokalani, Central from there to Lewers/Saratoga and Ewa from there to Ala Wai. I think the Hobron area is definitely a NBHD by its self and some would argue that anything on the Ala Wai to Kalakaua is different living than anything fronting Kuhio or Kalakaua.
plus these NBHD's are changing with the new infill condos.

I stayed in a beautiful condo in the Banyan about 8 years ago. Are the elevators still horribly slow?

Old 01-29-2014, 05:42 PM

431 posts, read 940,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Relocube size. The standard ABF uPack ReloCube is a 6'3"D x 7'W x 8'4"H That's roughly the size of a tract home 9X5 full bath! At $6,000 that's about $16 per cubic foot! It would cost over $336 to ship a dresser that I got at Costco for less than $400.

It's not only size that makes some furniture inappropriate for Hawaii. I'd strongly consider how the furniture will deal with the salt air, humidity, and sand/volcanic grit. From what I've seen leather doesn't do well. I'd also be concerned about termites. Where are you guys buying this expensive furniture? Between Home World and Costco you can do some nice NEW furnishing. C.S. Wo, no unless it's on sale.

I'm not against shipping. I shipped a wall bed here from CA that I could not purchase here. I also found a new washer/dryer on a 12/31 sale that I got for $500 less than I could ever get on island. I used Honolulu Freight for a 40"x48" pallet for about $500 so I got the bed here for free with the w/d. I also stuffed the remaining space with new Costco stuff that was $2-10 cheaper in California. If this was used stuff I would have been charged about $200 more.

Shipping can make sense but you need to be aware of the actual costs and need.
Artful packing makes all the difference.
That dresser? You don't ship it empty!! You fill the drawers with small kitchen appliances, power tools, lamps, electronics, etc.
We have two bookcases that cost $900 each. Those bookcases can be stuffed with other items. One rolling tool chest (cost of chest: $500) full of tools (cost of tools, etc: >$1000). King mattress set: $3000. 65" TV: $2700. Sound system: $600. Another couple of flat screen TV's: $600. Two LR chairs: $1700. Cookware set: $700. Stand mixer: $350. Etc, etc, etc.
And this doesn't even begin to cover other furniture that can be stuffed into a relocube. I wouldn't sell this stuff for pennies on the dollar to the "MOVING SALE" vultures here and then have to replace it if we moved.
Again, REPLACEMENT cost.
We didn't ship anything when we moved here---our mainland furniture was just so wrong, LOL. We had people on the mainland who were willing to pay us very fair prices for our furniture (much of it was bought by the buyer of our home) and we also had friends and family whom we were happy to give stuff to.
I wouldn't put anything on Craigslist here---way too many dirtbags answer those ads in Hawaii and I'm really not up for some creep scoping out my home and belongings as they "check out" something I have for sale.
But if we ever moved back I think we'd do the relocube thing. I know quite a few who have done it and they've been very happy with their decisions.
If your stuff isn't worth that much then no, it's not worth shipping. If you don't have belongings whose replacement costs would not warrant the cost of shipping than it's a no-brainer. Have a garage sale, dump the stuff, and move on.
You really just have to do the math and decide whether it's worth it to you.
JMHO, of course.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,682,760 times
Craigslist is nice, so are estate sales, moving sales, etc. BUT you need a truck to take with you every time, even just to look, because you may or may not end up buying. We brought over a smaller, fuel efficient car, so borrowing a friend's truck to pick up furniture only works on a few occasions.

And then you have to set aside the time to traipse around looking at all this stuff. How many weekends do you want to spend driving from one garage sale to another, looking for something that you'd even consider bringing into your home?

Old 01-29-2014, 06:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
I wouldn't put anything on Craigslist here---way too many dirtbags answer those ads in Hawaii and I'm really not up for some creep scoping out my home and belongings as they "check out" something I have for sale.
I'm also in this camp - there isn't any scenario where I would want strangers coming to my home scoping out my house - that is way to dangerous to me.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:27 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Meh. After my husband passed I sold over 5K worth of stuff on Craig's List, and that's as single female. Never had a single problem.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-29-2014, 07:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Meh. After my husband passed I sold over 5K worth of stuff on Craig's List, and that's as single female. Never had a single problem.
Or this....

Craigslist 'robberies by appointment' turn violent - NBC News.com

Craigslist iPhone deal turns into $10,000 armed robbery | KOMO Crime Blotter | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Craigslist 'a cesspool of crime': study

Police Warn Maryland Residents Of Craigslist Crime Wave « CBS Baltimore

Craigslist users fall prey to robberies - SFGate

Old 01-29-2014, 07:26 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
You wanted to once how Hawaii differs from the mainland? Less random crime is definitely one of the differences.

Why? One if I had a chance to yell, my neighbors from multiple houses would have been there in a flash and pounded them, and 2) there's a hella good chance I'm related to them either by marriage or hanai. You may scoff, but these are a lot of the reasons you don't get a lot of random crime, too many people know you who probably know the person your gonna rip off.

And yes, we have a lot of property crime here, but more of the b and e, not come over and beat someone up to take console TV.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
I wouldn't sell this stuff for pennies on the dollar to the "MOVING SALE" vultures here and then have to replace it if we moved.
Again, REPLACEMENT cost.
We didn't ship anything when we moved here---our mainland furniture was just so wrong, LOL. We had people on the mainland who were willing to pay us very fair prices for our furniture (much of it was bought by the buyer of our home) and we also had friends and family whom we were happy to give stuff to.

But if we ever moved back I think we'd do the relocube thing. I know quite a few who have done it and they've been very happy with their decisions.
If your stuff isn't worth that much then no, it's not worth shipping. If you don't have belongings whose replacement costs would not warrant the cost of shipping than it's a no-brainer. Have a garage sale, dump the stuff, and move on.
You really just have to do the math and decide whether it's worth it to you.
JMHO, of course.
PaliPatty,
I think we're making the same point although I think you are making a stronger case to not bring your crap to Hawaii. My motto, "Friends don't let friends bring crap". A lot of the crap ends up here because the military pays for it or it's part of a job relocation package. If I had free shipping I'd probably bring way more crap. I don't think the OP has returned but this should be good information for anyone thinking of shipping to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu