Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,876,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
console TV.
You have a console TV? Newer model?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 PM

48,580 posts, read 34,966,648 times
Don't forget the point Viper made, shipping is a tax write-off, buy stuff is not.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,769,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You wanted to once how Hawaii differs from the mainland? Less random crime is definitely one of the differences.

Why? One if I had a chance to yell, my neighbors from multiple houses would have been there in a flash and pounded them, and 2) there's a hella good chance I'm related to them either by marriage or hanai. You may scoff, but these are a lot of the reasons you don't get a lot of random crime, too many people know you who probably know the person your gonna rip off.

And yes, we have a lot of property crime here, but more of the b and e, not come over and beat someone up to take console TV.
I just can't say how much you are right auntie. Keep it up. I really believe money, property issues are important when considering moving to Hawai'i. But god is that all there is? Got to remember that Hawai'i is also gorgeous, has great culture and great people. Wish there was more balance on CDF Hawai'i.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
If the money issue isn't working, no amount of lovely scenery is gonna offset it.

We don't have to tell folks about the gorgeous scenery, great culture and great people, there's tons of TV and HVB to do that for us. I think a lot of the "negative" here is to offset the unreal "positive" put out by the folks trying to lure in tourist dollars or sell TV ratings.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If the money issue isn't working, no amount of lovely scenery is gonna offset it.

We don't have to tell folks about the gorgeous scenery, great culture and great people, there's tons of TV and HVB to do that for us. I think a lot of the "negative" here is to offset the unreal "positive" put out by the folks trying to lure in tourist dollars or sell TV ratings.
Excellent!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

I agree for some people, but thats a value thing. The problem with this country is too many people believe there poor or lacking because they can't afford to live the lifestyle they envision for themselves or try to live a higher lifestyle then what they can afford. Maybe, living a simpler way financially, could free up time to enjoy the scenery.

Shoot some think they are poor and need goverment aide if we own a car, have a labtop, smartphone etc.

My point and ive said this before, really the truth is that people tend to want to move to Hawai'i for the ideal of paradise, thats mostly there motivation. 1/2 pages

Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM

2/2

I just happens to be that Hawai'i is the most expensive place to live. So its an issue but not the motivation. If cost of living wasnt an issue I think some of you wouldn't have anything to say. So being that most people want to move to paradise because its paradise, i don't see way an more balanced point of view can't happen.

My mother even to this day calls Hawai'i a magical place, it can be with the right attitudes. Me personally i believe we can be a dreamer but still have our feet on the ground. Culture, People, Lifestyle are just as important.

Also the cost of living in Hawai'i is no secret, all anyone has to do is do some research online, call a housing agent. Read local newpapers etc, to find out the cost of living.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-30-2014 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 05:40 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,691,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I just can't say how much you are right auntie. Keep it up. I really believe money, property issues are important when considering moving to Hawai'i. But god is that all there is? Got to remember that Hawai'i is also gorgeous, has great culture and great people. Wish there was more balance on CDF Hawai'i.
Just curious as to what you mean by "balance". Of course the reasons that people want to move to Hawaii are the gorgeous scenery and the great culture and great people. The people who come on to City-Data already know that by either visiting a time or two or watching HGTV. They already have dreams of spending their days lolling on the beach and eating shave ice.

However, they come to us who live here asking for a dose of reality. Can they really afford to live in Hawaii? They (most of them anyway) want to know what it is really like to get a job and and can they find a nice place to live and have a decent quality of life. And that's where we are trying to help them out. Do you really think that we should "help" them by giving them the Tourist Bureau rose-colored-glasses version, especially if they are considering moving their school aged kids and coming without any idea of whether or not they can find work? Wouldn't that be cruel?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 PM

@Dreaming of Hawaii

Your assuming im suggesting the tourism slogans. No im not. Im suggesting tell them how expensive it is and how to find a job. But also telling them the differences between the mainland and Hawai'i culture, attitude and lifestyles. It would be cruel to pretend that Hawai'i is like everywhere else except more expensive, which for the most part your doing when 95% of your threads are just money related.

A good example of how differnt Hawai'i is, is the celebrating of chinese new year, which is comming up Feb 1, a few days from today. With the exception of maybe San Francisco and New York on the mainland there is probably no more popular or bigger celebration. Why is that? Whats the customs, What are the rules for firecrackers, Why celebrate chinese new year. What foods and events happen during this festivals?

Im surprised Hawai'i is one of the most diverse areas in the country, but you appear to be so closed minded and ridged in your thinking.

page 1/2

Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 PM

page 2/2

You say people are comming here for a dose of reality, but really you appear to not be giving reality without a balanced view. Just my opinion.

Just my opinion, it just happens that Hawai'i is the most expensive place to live and is thus an issue. But I have a question? If it wasn't expensive, would you have anything to talk about here on CDF Hawai'i for people wantting to move? And if no, why not you live on Hawai'i?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu