Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:36 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,792,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
See! We don't even know exactly when it is! That is how "big" it is!!!
Also, you may just ask yourself if you think CNY isn't big in honolulu or as big as it was in the past? Maybe you should ask why, if the majority of Hawai'i is asian?

You know viper, you may try going to the parade comming up? Who knows, you may enjoy yourself. Maybe your wife has some custems and traditions from her country she could share. You know it could never hurt to expand your experiences viper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezAloha View Post
This.

CNY here in Portland is BIG. We've got the hongbao ready for our girls, and will be eating dumplings and long noodles tomorrow. Lots of banquets coming up in the next month, as well as lion dances and other performances to attend.

Xi nian kuai le! Happy New Year! Welcome the Year of the Horse!
Oh bruddah, im envious, sound like great ono grindz? And if I remember correctly, hongbao = lucky money right? By living in Hawai'i i have learn to respect other cultures. And guys i really respect your asian cultures.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:04 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,731,375 times
I guess it all depends on WHERE you are in Hawaii. I have heard of CNY in Honolulu, but not on the neighbor islands. Here on the Big Island we have more Fillipino than Chinese or Japanese. No CNY on BI that I know of.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:58 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,841,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
I'd like to hear your experience with this. This guy is shipping fron the east coast. I would imagine $10, 000 would be the minimum shipping cost. You can buy a lot of NEW crap for that amount and probably double the amount of crap if you do craigslist. Plus I think it is more realistic to count shipping costs both ways if you think you are that attached to your crap that you'd take it with you when you leave.
The quote I've received for shipping furniture (no appliances) from Pennsylvania was $8400; and that was from Royal Hawaiian. We've used them before and trust them.

We have heavy stuff that we love; Rosewood Bedroom; Tansu, Armoires, Bombay Chests; two - > 40 inch Flat Screens, six-seater Dining room set, a large antique Asian sideboy; and tons of artwork. We've moved this stuff a lot back and forth to Hawaii and other parts of the world.

We love our stuff and wouldn't give it up; so we factor that cost into our moving calculations.!!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,552,905 times
Default Chinese New Year Big Island 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I guess it all depends on WHERE you are in Hawaii. I have heard of CNY in Honolulu, but not on the neighbor islands. Here on the Big Island we have more Fillipino than Chinese or Japanese. No CNY on BI that I know of.
There are a couple that I've heard of, per the Konaweb community calendar. In Honolulu last weekend was celebrated and Jan 31 will too, but on the Big Island everything moves just a little bit slower...

February 1, 2014
CHINESE NEW YEAR AT KEALAKEKUA RANCH CENTER - CAPTAIN COOK
Kealakekua Ranch Center in Captain Cook invites you to celebrate Chinese New Year - Year of the Horse, February 1 from 4-6pm. Bring the family down for the fun! Traditional Chinese Lion Dancers with drums, gongs, and small fireworks bring blessings, wealth, and prosperity for the new year. Shopping center shops, restaurants, and supermarket will be running specials and hosting giveaways including food samples and free chair massage. Kealakekua Ranch Center is located in Captain Cook with anchor stores ChoiceMART supermarket and Ace Hardware. For information call: 323-3188 or email kaukai@kealakekuaranch.com

February 8, 2014
12th ANNUAL CHINESE NEW YEAR FESTIVAL - HILO
From 10am to 3pm at Kalakaua Park in downtown Hilo. There will be food and craft vendors, live entertainment, information booths, live martial arts demonstrations, Lion Dance performance, and a fireworks show.

Funny thing is, organizers from Hilo Downtown Improvement Association had canceled the Chinese New Year Festival in Hilo last year because it got to be so large it was considered unmanageable, and because sponsor funding had dried up. Then because there was such an outpouring of upset and disappointment in the community they started it up again, but on a smaller scale. Here's an article about it. Keep in mind this is referring to last year's event:

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20...l-resurrected/

Quote:
Here on the Big Island we have more Fillipino than Chinese or Japanese.
I think Japanese are still the largest Asian group, by a little bit... the 2010 Census showed the Japanese population in Hawai'i County to be 18,086 ; Filipinos 15,834 ; and Chinese 1,656

However, when you look at the figure for "Chinese alone, or with another race" that figure jumps up to 22,646 who fight feel a heritage connection to Chinese New Year. And of course, there's a whole lot of us that just enjoy a good party. `

Last edited by OpenD; 01-31-2014 at 07:59 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Auntie I also think people get confused that CNY is just celebrated by Chinese. No its celebrated by asians from all regions and countries , some custems maybe different but not so bad to cause conflict. Its really a cool experience, if its big enough. You should try it sometime.

@OpenD

Mahalo for the great info OpenD.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:55 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,552,905 times
Part of the confusion is that the name Chinese New Year is inaccurate, and it's not what the Chinese call it. Their name for it simply means Spring Festival.

Since all of the Asian cultures use the Lunar Calendar and celebrate the beginning of the new lunar year in one form or another, Lunar New Year would be a better choice. And it's not a day, it's a 15 day festival period, starting this year on January 31.

The firecrackers are intended to scare away evil spirits. It's considered bad luck to buy shoes during this time. It is considered good luck to wear red underwear.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,703 times
Default OP is back...

Hi everyone,

OP here. Sorry I haven't checked on this thread in awhile. I saw 2-3 comments a day or two after I posted and had planned to write a post later, but never got around to it until now.

h2f42: Thanks for your advice. I think I will probably end up selling most (if not all) of my furniture. I do worry about bringing too much stuff and then not having anywhere to put it.

whtviper1: Thanks for your advice. I hadn't thought that I would be able to afford 1500 sq ft in downtown. However, for $3500 or so, that MAY be doable. I will look into The Pinnacle and other downtown rentals.

I'm also glad to hear you liked living in downtown, have you heard anything about Keola Lai or One Waterfront Towers?

SoloPilot: Thanks for your advice. Yes, last time I moved I packed things in boxes with post-its on top of them... which we lost some of in the trip. I hope to be more organized this time around. Currently, we are planning on selling all of our furniture if possible. I do plan to ship at least one car (they are both Rav4s, and not too big, but not really small either). My wife and I already did some scouting when I came out to interview, and I think we have an idea of where we want to rent (at least for the first year anyways).

Mikala43: Thanks for your advice. Honestly, my furniture, although new, isn't all that "high end". And while we will be taking a loss on it, I feel shipping it out there with the possibility of having nowhere to put it might end up being a higher loss. I'm reasonably familiar with the neighborhoods, and while probably want to live close to work (downtown) or Kakaoka, at least for the first year, hopefully within walking distance to work. Also, a lot of health care systems are in town as well, with a higher % chance that my wife will work in the same area. Other options would also be Makiki or Ala Moana.

Honobob: Thanks for your advice. Yes, my original plan was exactly as you said, to rent a vacation rental for the month and the whole family coming out. However, I think I would prefer to have everything in place before my baby came out here. I also did consider having a place on or walking distance to the beach. However, this last year I lived a 30 minute commute from work and my wife lived a 45 minute commute from work because I opted to live farther away. She sits in traffic for an hour sometimes and I feel bad about my decision, especially since we aren't staying. I felt the more prudent move (for the first year at least) would be to stay closer to work (downtown, Kakaoka, Ala Moana, Makiki).

In your later post about shipping and buying things from Costco and Home World, I agree. Most of my furniture will probably come from Costco.

M808: Thanks for your advice. I will send you a PM to discuss with you more.

Hunterseat: Thanks for your advice. Yes, my friend who moved to Hawaii (also a physician) came out lean and mean with just a carryon. No car, no luggage. He stayed in a hotel for a week, rented an apartment, and bought a cheap truck. No fuss no muss. I would do the same if it was just me. Things are different when you have a wife and baby though. Like I said above, we have two Rav4s, not too big, but not small either. I was planning to ship either one or both, kind of depending on where we ended up living. If I can walk to work, we'll sell one and only ship one.

PaliPatty: Thanks for your advice. Yea, like I said, our stuff is fairly new, but not high-end. All of it new probably costs less than $6000. In regards to room size, I also think some of the stuff we have may not fit because of the size differences in rooms mainland versus Hawaii as well. We will be giving both of our old LCD TVs to my in-laws (they aren't huge or expensive by any means). However, certain things like my computer, kitchen items, baby toys (these take up a lot of space), etc, what would be the most cost efficient way to ship them?

LOL. In terms of "crap" on the mainland, I think I know exactly what you mean. I don't think my wife and I need super high end furniture, an expensive German car, or things like that. I can't say for sure of course, but I think my wife and I understand the premium that even "average" items command on Hawaii. And I also realize this premium increases exponentially as the item quality increases.

Dreaming of Hawaii: Thanks for your advice. My friend out there has a truck, and he's pretty handy, so I think he would be able to help me out a bit.

hawaiian by heart: Thanks for your advice. Obviously, I haven't lived in Hawaii, but I think it has to do with priorities. I've lived on the on the West Coast and on the East Coast. The amount of money in my bank account, clothes I wore, car I drove, etc had no real effect on my happiness. I want to get back to doing the things I used to like doing and be more healthy. Additionally, the job I took I think provides a lower stress lifestyle. All in all, my wife and I made the decision together to prioritize lifestyle and family and I think Hawaii will provide that for us.

Off topic --- Regarding Chinese New Year -- I prefer the term "Lunar New Year" as well, since I'm Asian but not Chinese. However, I forgot all about the "bad luck to buy shoes" during this time, and I bought sandals recently, but I think I ordered them before the Lunar New Year, so I think I'm ok.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

AlohaOahu

Old 02-09-2014, 04:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaOahu View Post

I'm also glad to hear you liked living in downtown, have you heard anything about Keola Lai or One Waterfront Towers?
I've never been in One Waterfront Tower but you can't miss it as it is such a huge part of the skyline here in Honolulu. There was a listing on craigslist for $3,400/month - about 1,500 sq ft, with a $120 electricity credit. The views looked incredible, good sized units, nice kitchens - the only downside I see is the tower is quite a bit isolated from things.

Keola Lai looks nice with a good location - but the units are small ($3,100 for 1,000 sq ft)

Old 02-10-2014, 02:58 PM

160 posts, read 288,852 times
Default Chinese New Year Kaua'i 2014

If you think everything moves just a little bit slower on the BI for CNY...

FEBRUARY 22, 2014
CHINESE DAY
"100th Anniversary of the Kaua'i Historical Society"
From 6pm to 9pm at the Kaua'i Beach Resort in Lihu'e. Enjoy traditional Lion Dance accompanied by 10,000 firecrakers and clanging cymbals take place outside (lock your dogs up!). Free and open to the public, family oriented.
At 7pm, inside the Jamine Ballroom, there will be a seven course Chinese dinner buffet with Chinese music and Chinese dancers performing (pretty sure the dancers and music are from the Chinese Physical Association from O'ahu not from Kaua'i). Info at www. kauaihistoricalsociety.org

Me thinks this is the extent CNY celebrations are happening on Kaua'i. Due to the dwindling pake population over the years CNY is still held as individual family events.

"To celebrate Chinese New Years on Kaua'i, all the Chinese rice kings gave their workmen a three-day holiday. The haole principal of Kapa'a School, did the same for all the Chinese pupils. However, most of the Chinese families celebrated on the island for a week. Groups of kanaka serenaded our Chinese home and other pake homes with singing accompanied by their ukuleles, guitars, and drums as they called out, 'Kung Hee Fat Choy'..." - Kapa'a 1915
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu