Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,675 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone,

I'm a physician and I recently accepted a job in Oahu to begin in early spring. I will be working in downtown Honolulu. My wife (also a physician) and my daughter (8 months old) will coming with me. Currently, my wife has not yet received a job offer in Oahu but is in the process of interviewing. We currently live on the East Coast.

To be honest, I've been kind of overwhelmed with what to do about moving to Oahu. I've tried to research this forum and other websites on the best way to move to Oahu, but I still feel I am coming up short.

----

My initial plan was to move the whole family out to Oahu at one time. However, after doing some more research, and not knowing the area that well, I am considering coming out by myself first and traveling light. Then I could settle into my new job, learn the area better, and find a place to live with a year lease before having my wife and daughter come out. I have a good friend who lives in Oahu who can help, but I think his little studio is probably too small for me to crash with him.

That said, any recommendations on where to stay short-term (1-4 weeks) in downtown Honolulu for a reasonable price?

Should I use a "relocation expert" to facilitate things? Or is it not really necessary?

How long do you think it would take me to find (and secure) an apartment in downtown? I realize that space comes at a premium in Honolulu, but I think I would need at least a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, and 2 parking spaces (or 1 space and ability to buy another). My wife and I currently live in a 1500 sq ft 2bd/2ba and realize we will need to downsize. We had lived in a 1 bd/1ba 790 sq ft place before, but that was kind of small for us, although the layout didn't make great use of the space. I think a 2 bd/2ba with ~ 1000 sq ft would be ideal. We would likely rent for 1-2 years before buying a house. Any suggestions welcome.

In terms of moving, is it better to sell all my furniture, etc. and ship "unreplaceable" items? I think we could probably pack all of our things into a Relocube from U-pack if we needed to.

We have two vehicles which are dependable and I had planned to ship both. I see from research that Matson, Horizon, and Pasha are the most common shippers. I had read that Matson is not good for sending vehicles to the other islands, because their inter-island transport does not have the vehicles shipped in containers and arrive rusted. I am unsure if this has changed. However, since I am having my vehicles shipped to Oahu, it shouldn't be a problem right? Or should I just use Horizon or Pasha?

I have also already looked into finding child care for my daughter and placed her on a few waiting lists. Any suggestions for a good preschool for a 1 year old in the downtown area would be great. The one I found so far is Cole Academy. There are others (like Central Union) but they start accepting kids later (usually 18 months or 2 years).

Also, any recommendations for pediatricians in the downtown area would also be great.

Thanks in advance.

AlohaOahu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,671 times
Default bugs in Alaka

Someone wrote that the bugs in Hawaii do not compare to the bugs in Alaska. I do not know where they got there information, but we have hardly any bugs in Alaska. We have huge and millions of mosquitoes, but they are not creepy crawling bugs like, spiders, centipedes, cockroaches, ants, praying mantis, tarantulas. We have spiders but they do not get huge and there are not millions of them. This is one of the reasons I live in Alaska. And why I would never want to live where there are lots of bugs. Also for the most part, we do not mice or rats. We do not have snakes. We occasionally have shrews, a kinda of furry mouse, but mostly in the woods.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:19 PM

87 posts, read 115,889 times
Don't worry about which shipping Co. I have used them all and they are all the same, just pick the cheapest that works with your schedule. As far as shipping your stuff, don't bother. Put your stuff in a storage unit there and only bring what you absolutely need. Deal with it later, even if it sounds like it could cost more, you will be glad you did. Bringing stuff means you need a bigger place to live or storage here. That Will Cost a lot more. After you are here 4-6 months you'll understand. If all works out you can get it later

Old 01-24-2014, 04:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Im not sure why you feel you need to downsize from 1,500 sq ft. You can find places like that downtown. Be on the lookout for a 1/2 floor unit at The Pinnacle, a bit over 1,500 sq ft, central air, private elevator access that opens into your unit, 2 car parking, pool, etc. Right downtown. Figure 3,500+ per month with parking depending on how high you are and view.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 PM

181 posts, read 273,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2f42 View Post
Don't worry about which shipping Co. I have used them all and they are all the same, just pick the cheapest that works with your schedule. As far as shipping your stuff, don't bother. Put your stuff in a storage unit there and only bring what you absolutely need. Deal with it later, even if it sounds like it could cost more, you will be glad you did. Bringing stuff means you need a bigger place to live or storage here. That Will Cost a lot more. After you are here 4-6 months you'll understand. If all works out you can get it later
I would add that you should pack things in numbered boxes, and keep a list of what is in each box. That way, if you find that you need something (but not everything at the same time), you can have just those boxes shipped.

Have a really really really good moving sale. Get rid of anything you can find at Walmart. It's not worth the cost of shipping (or storing) stuff like that.

Don't be too eager to ship your cars over, especially if they're big ones.

My best advice is to have all of you come over, scout around and find an area that you like, then let your wife and daughter go back to finish the prep for the move while you batch it for a few weeks and learn more about the place.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Personally, I would move your good furniture with you (any solid wood, higher end couches, etc.) as it is expensive to replace here, and you won't have the same selection). You need to start becoming familiar with the neighborhoods and which will work for you, Pacific Heights, Nuuanu/Pali, Kaimuki, etc. and the drive time to your office. Maybe you could rent a furnished room while you scout things out before the family arrives? If you are part of a medical facility maybe they can help?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-25-2014, 03:13 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,504 times
I think I would stick with the plan to all come out. Find a vacation rental for a month. Then look together. Good rentals move very quick and do you really want to sign a year lease without the wife's input? Start now booking a vacation rental and getting to know the neighborhoods. Your friend should be able to give you input if you know what you're looking for. I could not imagine living in downtown even in the fanciest of places. Where's the beach? But then I'm giving up square footage and newness to be able to hear the ocean and be an elevator ride away from the beach and a 15 minute walk into Waikiki. I would also reconsider the square foot requirement. Most living is done outdoors. Seldom are you trapped indoors by the weather. You'll also see 2 bedroom in less than 800 sf.

There are some nice 2/2 condo's in Pualei Circle than rent for around $2500 when available but those are barely over 1000sf but within walking distance to the beach. One bedroom & studios on the beach at the Gold Coast will run you $2200-$3000. Two bedrooms and you're looking at up to $7000.

Check Craigslist and you'll probably be able to replicate any furniture just for the cost of shipping your stuff here. I would also consider the costs of shipping your cars from the east coast. I don't see how it would be cost effective unless you're driving to California.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
I could not imagine living in downtown even in the fanciest of places. Where's the beach?
I have to disagree with you there. I LOVED living downtown. Walking distance to Chinatown restaurants, supermarkets, 5 minute walk to work, 15 minutes to Waikiki, 20 minutes to Kailua. Downtown is great.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:39 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I have to disagree with you there. I LOVED living downtown. Walking distance to Chinatown restaurants, supermarkets, 5 minute walk to work, 15 minutes to Waikiki, 20 minutes to Kailua. Downtown is great.
What in the world happened to China Town and the whole clean-up thing. We ate at Du Vin, and walked one block down and there were homeless lying every where on the sidewalks including one passed out guy with his wanker out and a river of urine running down the sidewalk. It's like the area is reverting back.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-25-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What in the world happened to China Town and the whole clean-up thing
You have to know where to go and where not to go. Certain street avoidance including Waikiki is prudent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu