Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:07 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,093,487 times

Advertisements

Well, gee, maybe I'll have to go watch some of this, it sounds like a hoot! I usually ignore the TV, it's more fun to play with the keyboard. When does it come on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 02:36 AM

431 posts, read 941,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, gee, maybe I'll have to go watch some of this, it sounds like a hoot! I usually ignore the TV, it's more fun to play with the keyboard. When does it come on?
Check your local listings. If Oahu is any indication, it will be broadcasted ad nauseum.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:12 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,460,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I enjoy watching the Hawaii Life series. It's interesting to see the different housing options available. Sometimes its surprising which houses are selected by the clients. The show is geared for the people that are still in their working years, many have several kids and usually a dog or two.

It's true that that they don't talk about the daily commute between leward oahu and Honolulu. A lot of other negatives are not mentioned. One walk through any grocery store is a huge negative. But there are many positives about living in Hawaii. I think it works best when you are retired, have a high net worth, and a retirement income stream over $100K. You don't have to rich to live in Hawaii, but it helps if you're not poor!
I agree. My wife and I watch Hawaii Life (Home & Garden TV) as well as Buying Hawaii (Destination America). We've never been to Hawaii, and we enjoy the scenery as well as the various houses/condos that are featured on the two shows. Buying Hawaii does a much better job of pointing out some of Hawaii's less desirable features, like long commutes and all the bugs!

We look at these shows as entertainment only. If we visit Hawaii sometime in the future (and we both want to), we may have a better idea of the sights we want to see, and the places we have no interest in seeing, based in part on some of what we've seen in watching the shows.

We toyed - briefly - with the idea of moving to Hawaii. We're both retired with good pensions and health insurance, and we could afford to live there. But when we weighed the pros and cons, it was clear that, for us anyway, visiting Hawaii would be far better than living there. However, we'll continue watching the shows. The scenery really is spectacular, and it's fun trying to guess which house is picked - we're almost always wrong!

Old 02-23-2014, 01:09 PM

87 posts, read 133,589 times
besides roaches I never noticed bugs in HNL

Old 02-23-2014, 04:52 PM

317 posts, read 749,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
besides roaches I never noticed bugs in HNL
Do rats count? I use to see a lot of rats.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:56 PM

431 posts, read 941,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
Do rats count? I use to see a lot of rats.
You mean like these?

Rats run wild in Honolulu Chinatown market - YouTube

But that's an older video. I'm sure the problem has been taken care by now.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,272,756 times
Anyone know any websites to watch some of the episodes online? For free?

Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 AM

293 posts, read 362,859 times
I lived on Ohau for a year in 1965, I still miss it and enjoy watching both those shows. Though I can afford to move over there and live a confortable life, not sure that I want to do it. I will be coming over there either later this year or early next year to spend about fifteen days exploring the possibility of making a semi-permanant move. Where I maintain a home there and here on the mainland. OR, just make it a full move.

Since my family and I can fly there and back for free, it makes it a lot easier if we want to maintain two homes and just fly back and forth every few months. I am retired, but, I have a three year old to think about. This might help in the decision making process. Anyone have a better idea?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,077,495 times
Because of the Polar Vortex

It's supposed to be -7 in Chicago on Tuesday.
I have my three flat screens showing Hawaii life on each wall of my closet and a beach towel on the floor. I spend one hour a day there with the brightness turned way up and eating a dole whip.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:54 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,352,972 times
If the show is put together by a real estate company, then they ain't gonna mention ANYTHING negative. Watching realtors react (or act) when I was looking at housing was a weird experience. They would clam up and pretend to be deaf if you asked about anything that might seem like a negative about their property.

That was a wonderful answer WaikikiBoy. Thanks for the good read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu