Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 03:20 PM

12 posts, read 14,909 times

Advertisements

I booked a 20' container. They will drop off the container Friday March 28th at a secure storage facility near the 110/91 Freeway in Gardena for us. I didn't want to deal with street permits and I wanted the container to be secure and not worry about someone picking the donut lock.

We have 72 hours not including the weekend to load the container. They will pick it up Monday April 1st or Tuesday April 2nd. It will arrive at the Honolulu Port the following week. We will then have a truck deliver it to Kaneohe.

I was trying to find someone to share since I know we won't have a full container and make the expensive worth it. If you need ship some items and help us offset the cost, please post or email me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 04:19 PM

941 posts, read 1,968,530 times
Nice of you to post this on the forum, I hope you find someone.

If you don't, an idea I had was to load your excess space with cheap ikea furniture to resell in Hawaii. There is no ikea here and the alternatives aren't always that great (teak furniture from Indonesia seems to be the substitute, but it's not as cheap). I brought a whole home-office setup in my container (2 desks, 4 bookshelves), as well as 2 bookshelves for a friend, which they really appreciated. My stuff is the honeycomb cardboard and particleboard construction (Expedit line: EXPEDIT Workstation - birch effect - IKEA) and it's held up well even in this climate. The IKEA quality is a few steps above the Kmart particleboard and pressboard in looks and construction.

I think the ikea stuff could sell at a 50% markup here (but don't trust me, do your own little research on craigslist and any other online retailer), though maybe that's just on the neighbor islands. Plus the ikea furniture is well packed in boxes that are easy to pack in tightly into the container (like playing tetris). It is heavy, but DIY containers are unlimited in weight to my knowledge. So all in all, it MIGHT be possible to spend 2K at Ikea, use your rental truck to take it to your loading zone, and sell it all for 3-4K in Honolulu. Just a thought I had.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 PM

19 posts, read 33,342 times
E-mail sent.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 PM

174 posts, read 349,407 times
My suggestion would be Ikea stuff too!

Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times
Problem is, where are you going to store that stuff once you arrive? In your carport?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:55 PM

19 posts, read 33,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Problem is, where are you going to store that stuff once you arrive? In your carport?
Who needs a bed frame when you have a pile of flat pack furniture to put your mattress on? Sofa? Another pile of flat pack with some throw pillows. Etc.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:55 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,829,502 times
blurgirl, it appears we're out for now. I know you'll find someone. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: