Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 04:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,957,158 times

Advertisements

Nice comeback.....

Nene geese nest on Oahu for first time since 1700s - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

"Endangered Hawaiian geese have been spotted in the wild on Oahu for the first time in centuries.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Monday a pair of nene have nested and successfully hatched three goslings at a national wildlife refuge near Kahuku on the North Shore. The agency says this is the first time the birds have been seen on Oahu since the 1700s."

Last edited by whtviper1; 03-24-2014 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,485,146 times
Wonderful news. Glad to hear it. After years of intense conservation efforts they've made a remarkable comeback at Volcanoes National Park, where signs in the parking lot at the Kilauea overlook warn people not to feed them, because then they will just hang around the cars all the time and get run over. And at Volcano Country Club the nenes are a familiar natural hazard on the fairways and greens. And nesting colonies have been reestablished in other areas.

But this is the best of all possible developments, wild birds repopulating their old range without human intervention. I hope they are successful.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:56 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,771,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Nice comeback.....

Nene geese nest on Oahu for first time since 1700s - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

"Endangered Hawaiian geese have been spotted in the wild on Oahu for the first time in centuries.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Monday a pair of nene have nested and successfully hatched three goslings at a national wildlife refuge near Kahuku on the North Shore. The agency says this is the first time the birds have been seen on Oahu since the 1700s."
Awsome, im so happy, needed good news. Gee whtviper1 keep this up i may have to change my opinion of you, which would be good. Aloha.

Now if we could do the same for the poor green turtles.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I think we've done what we could in Hawai'i. They are federally protected as an endangered species, and they have fairly well protected natural ranges along the Ka'u coast on the Big Island and up in French Frigate Shoals. The black sand beach at Na'alehu where they heave up on shore to bask in the sun is one of the natural wonders of the world, and is a personal favorite of mine. In our corner of the world I think their biggest threat is that sharks like to eat them, and the shark population has been on the rise in our waters.

There was some very interesting news recently, that researchers have finally solved the longstanding mystery of where the green turtles disappear to when they are very small, not to be seen again until they are much larger. It turns out that they get on top of floating mats of vegetation and just stay there for long periods, rather than swimming around. The algae they eat grows profusely there, and they maintain a warmer body temperature than they would just swimming around in the cold water, so they grow faster. It isn't until they are adolescents that they are too big for the floating mats anymore and have to become full time swimmers, when they aren't ashore on the beach.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:35 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,771,331 times
@OpenD

Did they solve the tumor issues that was killing the turtles lately? It was a mystery to what the cause was the last time i read about it.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
@OpenD

Did they solve the tumor issues that was killing the turtles lately? It was a mystery to what the cause was the last time i read about it.
Nope. Unresolved at present. It's a chronic disease caused by a virus, first described by scientists in the 1930s, and sometime it is very serious, sometimes relatively minor. Not a lot is known, unfortunately.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:05 PM

941 posts, read 1,970,338 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I think we've done what we could in Hawai'i.
Not as long as people continue to drive their trucks on the beach. Maybe it's a Kaua'i thing, but it seems to be a growing phenomenon in several places (Polihale, east side).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu