Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:09 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

^^^^

Uh ha uh ha uh ha! Prob some dam mainland hillbilly "Im going to do whatever i want to do itz me constitutional right" Me love snakes, the hell with anyone else.

I have to agree, throw them in the volcano or better yet, have the state government keep a huge boa in captivity and feed it with the dumb guys who get caught trafficking snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:01 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Can you imagine if one of these begun to reproduce in the wild, with no enemies or predators? You could just kiss all the birds in Hawai'i goodbye.
Considering that coqui frogs are an alternative food source for snakes, the birds in coqui-infested areas probably wouldn't be wiped out.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:47 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Ahhhhh, Ellwood. You have just demonstrated one of the dangers of posting without reading the thread. Sometimes it is just painfully obvious that you haven't read the other posts, like this time.

In other news, besides the two kinds of snakes known to live in the wild in Hawai'i, there are are also a handful of idiots who think it is fun to smuggle snakes in and keep them, despite the fact that it is not only illegal, but an enormous risk to our fragile environment. I'll have to dig for the article, but I recall a story from the north end of the Big Island about someone being busted with an 11' python in their home when it got loose and they needed help to find it.

About 5 years ago a 6' boa constrictor was found, on the loose, hiding in a garage in Keaau. A while back a snake was found out for a stroll on the sidewalk in Honolulu's Chinatown. And only last year a "mildly venomous" tree snake was caught up at Pōhakuloa military base off Saddle Road, having apparently hitchhiked in from Guam on one of their planes. Can you imagine if one of these begun to reproduce in the wild, with no enemies or predators? You could just kiss all the birds in Hawai'i goodbye.

The current penalty for possession of a snake in Hawai'i, a Class C Felony, is up to $200,000 fine and up to 3 years in prison. I don't think that is nearly harsh enough, because the Invasive Animal team reports confiscating over 100 snakes since the year 2000. My suggestion is that anyone caught with a snake in Hawai'i should be hanged by their heels, suspended under a helicopter, flown over the volcano, and dropped in. And do it all on live TV. That level of stupidity deserves to be rewarded appropriately.

PS, thanks for the suggestion, JJ. Yes, doubling down does seem to work. I appreciate your vast experience in this arena.
After years spent in HI the "average" person will not experience seeing a snake in HI. Yes, there are idiots like you stated, however, the chances are very slim to come across one, as you would in many areas on the mainland. Some one who has a fear of snakes does not appreciate hearing the "few" cases as you stated.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:22 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
........... there is another snake, even rarer, the yellow-bellied sea snake.......
Yellow bellied see snake... isn't that the one where the venom is so deadly?

Maybe you don't know anyone who has seen one because the people who did, never made it back to shore.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:58 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Maybe you don't know anyone who has seen one because the people who did, never made it back to shore.
What a group of "helpful, insightful and intelligent" posters.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
The teensy ones were sometimes spotted where I lived in Ewa Beach. Aren't they sometimes called flower pot snakes? They are hardy bigger than worms. What creeped me out were the scorpions.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:04 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
I think OpenD meant to type "non-native."

Ramphotyphlops braminus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Found one of those when digging up a palm..... I'll admit it, I FREAKED.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2014, 04:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, they are quite venomous, but fortunately they can't survive long on land. Having the widest global range of all snakes, and found throughout the Pacific, they live their whole life in the water. When they get tossed up on land by wind or waves they typically don't last long. You really only have to worry in the water, but honestly they're pretty rare. And even there, they eat fish, not mammals, so they are unlikely to show any interest in you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The teensy ones were sometimes spotted where I lived in Ewa Beach. Aren't they sometimes called flower pot snakes? They are hardy bigger than worms.
Yep, that's them. Matter of fact, that's how they apparently spread to Hawai'i and move around, by taking up residence in flower pots, which then get transported to different places. They don't bite, and they look like big worms, and they are completely harmless, but they do freak some people out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Found one of those when digging up a palm..... I'll admit it, I FREAKED.
As I was saying.

Anyhoosits, the real worry factor, other than the idiots, is the stowaways. Reports of brown tree snakes from Guam being found on (and off!) military planes which have come from Guam have been on the rise. So far the military claims to have contained them all, but we've been lied to before, eh?

But even plain vanilla cargo containers can be a problem. Just the other day a 2' long gopher snake was killed in Kea'au after being discovered in a container that was being unloaded at a store there. It apparently hitched in from California,

Keaau Store Workers Discover Snake in Shipping Container | Big Island Now

If you look at the bottom of this article is a picture of a Hawaiian Blind Snake, AKA flowerpot snake, curled up in the palm of someone's hand. Clearly it's no threat, except to some people's nerves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu