Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 AM

11 posts, read 22,150 times

Advertisements

General opinions & thoughts ---> which side has the better living and why: Town or Windward? All things considered...

Mahalo for your time and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 02:29 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,810 times
Assuming you want to know so you can make a decision yourself? If so we need more info. Where do you work? Where do you play? Where do you frequently shop or run errands? Need to be close to the beach? Are you social or a hermit? Do you like to go out at night? Do you mind sitting in traffic and spending more on gas? Kids? Where do they attend school? Do you want more sun or less sun? More rain or less rain? Are you particular about demographics of surrounding neighbors? What's your monthly rent or buy budget? Do you want to live in a condo, townhome or SFH? If SFH, do you need a large yard?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Assuming you want to know so you can make a decision yourself? If so we need more info. Where do you work? Where do you play? Where do you frequently shop or run errands? Need to be close to the beach? Are you social or a hermit? Do you like to go out at night? Do you mind sitting in traffic and spending more on gas? Kids? Where do they attend school? Do you want more sun or less sun? More rain or less rain? Are you particular about demographics of surrounding neighbors? What's your monthly rent or buy budget? Do you want to live in a condo, townhome or SFH? If SFH, do you need a large yard?
Hi pj737, I'm just wondering what others in the community think based on their experiences of living in or visiting these two sides of the island...or more specifically these five different real estate sections. I've looked at many open houses over the past year or so in all of these areas, sometimes just for fun and other times to try to gauge the many different neighborhoods' pros & cons in comparison to all the others for future potential moves / home buying. Some answers to your questions though specifically for myself: work mostly in the Kailua area, play at the surfing beaches island wide, tend to use the military installations or places like Foodland/Target/WalMart/etc for groceries and shopping errands, within reasonable commuting distance to multiple beaches with quality surf is somewhat important, maybe a bit more of a hermit in relation to the nighttime hours, hate traffic and of course don't want to spend a fortune on gas like most people, no kids at the current time (maybe in the future), i'd probably send them to 'at least' public elementary PK-6th, prefer sun for sure but maybe a reasonable mix with good tradewind flow so we can minimize A/C use and mostly rely on open windows and fans (definitely can't do very rainy all the time with the mold issues, mosquitoes, etc), only concerns about neighbors is reasonable quietness and upkept properties, buy budget I guess lets stick with less than a million, single family home, and at least 5000 sqft land with some kind of decent mostly flat backyard (bigger the better of course), the side of the cliff terraced lot homes don't appeal to us since they usually lack a yard even though the views are often fantastic. I have dogs also. Thanks everyone...

Old 05-14-2014, 11:42 PM

451 posts, read 411,637 times
Honestly, OP you and your family should make a recon trip. Your questions cast a net far and wide, and I don't think can be adequately answered on a forum such as this one. If you plan to spend less than a $1mil on a house or condo, you should look at what that will buy in your particular areas of interest. Don't be stunned by what you find. Carefully research the schools. This is stuff you personally need to do. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2014, 12:09 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Hmmm, hate traffic. Work in Kailua. Windward seems an easy choice.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:56 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,810 times
I would agree with viper that the Kailua area would be the best location for you since you work the most there. One consideration is that the public elementary schools in Kailua are not quite as desirable as those in Manoa or Nuuanu. But I do believe there are at least a couple that rank closely in the Kailua area. Hawaii Kai has some great schools too. I attended Kamiloiki myself and didn't turn out half bad . If traffic drives you bonkers though you'll want to live as close to the place where you work. Traffic is a major quality of life issue on Oahu.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I would agree with viper that the Kailua area would be the best location for you since you work the most there. One consideration is that the public elementary schools in Kailua are not quite as desirable as those in Manoa or Nuuanu. But I do believe there are at least a couple that rank closely in the Kailua area. Hawaii Kai has some great schools too. I attended Kamiloiki myself and didn't turn out half bad . If traffic drives you bonkers though you'll want to live as close to the place where you work. Traffic is a major quality of life issue on Oahu.
Thanks all. Yeah, it seems that its more of a Kailua v.s. Hawaii Kai <or possibly the Diamond Head area> battle at this point. Nuuanu, Manoa, Kaneohe are a bit too rainy for us i think (used to live in Temple Valley, beautiful and lush but rains very often / some mosquitoes / and many personal items got moldy quick - even inside bedroom closets). Also lived in Moili'ili years ago, fun but I dont think most of Town really has what we'd truly be looking for at this point. I've heard good things about the schools in Hawaii Kai, especially the high school. I dont think Kalaheo is too bad in Kailua, but mixed reviews of Kailua HS for sure. It seems like quite a few of the elementary schools in the area are decent though and rave reviews of LeJardin Academy and most other private schools. The commute from/to Hawaii Kai and to/from the Kailua area would probably be reasonable if taking Kalanianaole Hwy I would think. I'm a bit concerned about the extra heat in the Hawaii Kai area during the warmer months, but not much else. Sections of Aina Haina and Niu Valley are quite nice also for that price point, but a bit longer drive i'm sure with more traffic. Tough one, lots of nice neighborhoods to consider.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:17 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbennett29 View Post
. The commute from/to Hawaii Kai and to/from the Kailua area would probably be reasonable if taking Kalanianaole Hwy I would think.
I wouldn't count on that.

Hawaii Kai from where I live - Keolu Hills, is 30 minutes without traffic. Not bad, and really scenic.

But....

Often I'll see cars backed up on Kalanianaole Hwy just past Keolu Drive, which means traffic is backed up until the first stoplight in Waimanalo, which makes for a long drive.

And, an accident on Kalanianaole, (they happen a lot) - good luck, you aren't getting home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu