Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,650 times

Advertisements

So here is a summary of the situation:

I recently got a job offer for $85k in Honolulu (this job WILL be there if I accept, but I will have to decide quickly and be on-island in a little over a month)
Wife- stay-at-home mom.
Kids- 3 (all under 11 years old)
Current residence- Denver, CO
Current pay- $75k

We have never been to Hawaii, and given the timeframe a vacation there to see if we will like it is out of the question, so although my questions could fill several books, I will start with just a few.

We understand that the raise from the new job will NOT make up for the difference in cost-of-living in HI, but based on folks experience who actually live there is the wage listed above even feasible for a family of 5? Some sacrifices are expected, but would they outweigh the experience and fun of living on HI?

Schools, we are very worried about the school system (which seems to have very unfavorable reviews), are there any good schools in HI? How can we make sure that our kids get the education they need?

Commuting and picking a place to live, the job location is near the airport. Of course most of the house/rental prices that seem even remotely reasonable are more to the western side of the island. We have heard nightmare stories about HI traffic, so if I wanted an average commute of a little less than an hour, about how far from the airport can I reasonably look for housing?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
For a family of 5, no way.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneeker View Post
I recently got a job offer for $85k in Honolulu (this job WILL be there if I accept, but I will have to decide quickly and be on-island in a little over a month)
Wife- stay-at-home mom.
Kids- 3 (all under 11 years old)
Current residence- Denver, CO
Current pay- $75k
Sorry to say, according to standard Cost of Living figures, Denver is 41% cheaper overall than Honolulu is, and an $85K income in Honolulu will only give you a standard of living equal to about $50K in Denver. So it appears it would be a large step down for your family.

"Never been to Hawai'i" is a red flag. The cultural difference is large, and many just can't adapt to it, and move back to the mainland in a year or two.

Three young kids is a red flag. Schools are a challenge. Private schools are expensive.

Moving so far on short notice is a red flag. It's very stressful, on multiple counts.

If you had done previous research and decided the adventure was worth the cost? If you didn't have kids? If you had longer to plan? Those factors, if different, all might tip the balance another way, but looking at your current situation, the way you laid it out, I can't recommend it.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:57 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,712,700 times
I agree with whtviper1 and OpenD. While your kids are in school, take some vacations to Hawaii. Maybe visit a different island each time. Start saving your money for retirement -- that is, if there's any left after sending three kids to college. Then, after you retire, you can move to your dream island. Until then, enjoy the beauty of the Colorado mountains!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,389,565 times
Where is your job? How long before you get a raise? Is it a proven/secure company? My other half worked at a place near the airport. Right after we left they started laying off.
Are they paying to move you?
Is it remotely possible for your wife to homeschool?
We found a place in a high-rise that really looked okay except we had dogs.
I had never been in Hawaii before (except in the terminal at Hickam on my way to Japan) and took a job offer there. We stayed a year. I don't regret it but we had a decent cash reserve to keep us from stressing out as he looked for work. There were 3 of us and we totaled right around 6-figures. We lived pretty lean - paycheck to paycheck. Of course, I also boarded 3 horses in Kentucky... There's a bit of a chunk.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:47 PM

17 posts, read 28,447 times
I agree with everyone else. I lived on Oahu previously and I think the only way you could make it work is if you don't have any bills, your company paid for you to relocate, and your wife can homeschool all three kids. My daughter attended kindergarten in Kapolei, and there were 38 five year olds and one teacher! No funding to hire another teacher to split the class into two smaller classes. The quality of education is poor. The commute to the airport/Honolulu/Waikiki is worse.

With that said, I just moved to Denver and I find it incredibly expensive!

Good luck, and feel free to message me if you have any specific questions from someone who's been there.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:58 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,267,462 times
I have to agree with everyone. Sorry to say that is too much of a rush, move your famlily in one month, and to have never been to Oahu. I make around $73, 245.00 a year, not counting military retirement. I Cannot afford to buy a home. My wife does not work due to arthrits in her knees. I Rent. Your looking at a minium of $2,000 depending on the area, if your lucky.
Most people who live here and are Married, both work full time jobs. Even some of the older children work to help out.
Can't comment on the schools but its common knowledge about the schools are bad, there are a few good ones. Just depends where you live.
The only reason i stayed and did not move back to the mainland. My last duty station in the Navy was at the Naval Shipyard and i was asked if i wanted to work in the Shipyard. After i retired. I just got lucky in that department.
Best of luck in your decision.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:16 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,837,802 times
Well, I'm going to be a little bit of a contrarian and say, yes you can make it on that salary as long as:
- your relocation is being paid by your employer;
- you have additional savings >$10,000;
- you are planning on public school (and yes there are decent public schools, you have to do your homework on location);
- you are renting (unless you have a sizeable down payment saved already);
- you're not big foodies who must eat out often; and
- you take full advantage of Costco, Walmart and possibly military commissaries.
You can do it. The salaries are not that high here, so there are plenty of folks with families living and enjoying life, while making considerably less than you. But as others have stated, don't plan on beachfront living - wait unless you rent a place in Ewa Beach at that Waterfront at Puuloa, then you might even have beachfront.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
Shall we try a budget?

$5,400 net pay per month assuming 5 deductions. This is probably wildly optimistic.

$2,500 rent/month (might not be possible - and very likely probably not possible).....

$350/month electric (hopefully)

$200/month water (hopefully)

$1,000/month food (I'm getting hungry thinking about $33/day for 5 people)

$40/month car insurance (optimistic)

$200/month gas (coming from the West Side - I'm on the low end)

$200/month clothing (5 of you)

$50/month cable/phone/internet (bare bones and not possible)

$50/month cell (not a family plan)

$250/month - day to day necessities (soap, deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, cleaning supplies, detergent)

$250/month entertainment (good luck with that with 5 of you)

$100/month medical (I guess we can hope for perfectly healthy)

Of course, I've not accounted for savings - college savings - something happening (illness, kids needing glasses, kids events, etc), flights to mainland (it would never happen), emergencies.....

But, hey - go for it. (expenses off the top of my head - I'm sure I missed a lot)

Old 05-20-2014, 09:33 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,837,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Shall we try a budget?

$5,400 net pay per month assuming 5 deductions. This is probably wildly optimistic.

$2,500 rent/month (might not be possible - and very likely probably not possible).....

$350/month electric (hopefully)

$200/month water (hopefully)

$1,000/month food (I'm getting hungry thinking about $33/day for 5 people)

$40/month car insurance (optimistic)

$200/month gas (coming from the West Side - I'm on the low end)

$200/month clothing (5 of you)

$50/month cable/phone/internet (bare bones and not possible)

$50/month cell (not a family plan)

$250/month - day to day necessities (soap, deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, cleaning supplies, detergent)

$250/month entertainment (good luck with that with 5 of you)

$100/month medical (I guess we can hope for perfectly healthy)

Of course, I've not accounted for savings - college savings - something happening (illness, kids needing glasses, kids events, etc), flights to mainland (it would never happen), emergencies.....

But, hey - go for it. (expenses off the top of my head - I'm sure I missed a lot)
This is a good list, perhaps if you are good shopper your food bill may be a couple hundred less; and I would add:
$250+/month for school lunch (unless they will be taking their lunch)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: