Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post

I forget the commute option at at times because I live in town. Yesterday I was going the opposite flow of traffic to Kahala. (7:45am eastbound from downtown) As soon as I passed the university backup, it was easy going. I was a bit taken back by how many cars heading into town from Hawaii Kai were bumper to bumper.
I used to live in Hawaii Kai and love the area - but as bad as the traffic you saw yesterday, it is so much worse when public and private schools are back in session - especially UH. Right now is a cakewalk - which will end in about a month or so. But, still not as bad as the Ewa/Kapolei - although I heard they are going to re-stripe H1 westbound on the news this morning to add a lane and not do a zipper lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 03:22 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,480 times
Definitely glad I heeded the info I got from my first supervisor here. I got some sage advice when I was in the temporary place looking for a more permanent place to live.

I was looking for places further from town and asked if he had any experience or insight. He said he had lived in the Waipahu area previously and that he would never wish that drive on anyone. In 2009 he spent $400 a month in gas just to get to and from work. He said that even though the $400 in fuel did not make up the difference in price, he was glad he bought a condo in town because it was worth not having the drive. I imagine the drive is worse now than in 2009.

And I seriously can't imagine how bad the drive will be in just a couple years from now. Especially if the UHERO stats come to fruition:
Honolulu Median Home price appreciation - 2014 9.8%, 2015 8.9%
Honolulu Median Condo price appreciation - 2014 6.2%, 2015 6.2%
UHERO links - link to referenced document - link to referenced page

Old 07-12-2014, 01:29 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
I was looking for places further from town and asked if he had any experience or insight. He said he had lived in the Waipahu area previously and that he would never wish that drive on anyone. In 2009 he spent $400 a month in gas just to get to and from work. He said that even though the $400 in fuel did not make up the difference in price, he was glad he bought a condo in town because it was worth not having the drive. I imagine the drive is worse now than in 2009.
People actually don't realize how costly it is to drive so far every day. If you are spending $400/mo on gas, you are spending at least double that in real costs when you factor in maintenance, repairs, upkeep and vehicle depreciation as a direct result of putting all that mileage on a car. If you spend $400/mo on gas, you're really spending $800/mo to commute. Those are hard costs. If a couple resides in the home and both have to commute separately (which is WAY more common these days than couples carpooling), that's $1,600/mo in hard costs per month lost vs living in town. That will cover $320,000 in mortgage alone.

And this does not take into account the value of ones' time. If you sat in traffic just one extra hour a day over someone that lived in town, and you could work instead of driving with a paid salary of $75K/year, you are effectively losing $11K in earnings every single year. That's an additional $900/mo in lost earnings. So if you could work instead of sit in your car in traffic, you are effectively losing $800/mo in gas/vehicle depreciation and maintenance and $900/mo in lost work time. That's $1,700/mo for one person. If it's a married couple that both work and both made $75K, that's $3,400 lost every month. That will cover almost $700K in mortgage AND you can write off the interest AND about 1/3 of the $3,400/mo you pay actually goes back into your pocket (and that figure increases as you pay your mortgage down). That was obviously an extreme example but whatever the price disparity is, it's not close to what it should be. I don't think people that can afford to live in town but move to west Oahu put a lot of thought into their decision. I'm vastly oversimplifying on the time lost to commuting (e.g. some may say driving is relaxing) but when you factor the true cost of commuting alone, a home in town is comparatively dirt cheap.

I don't know... maybe I'm just weird. But for the people that can afford it, I can't comprehend why they won't spend at extra $500-$1,000/mo in a higher mortgage ($100-$200K in additional purchase price) so they won't have to be forced to, day in day out, sit in a painful one and a half hours of stop and go stop and go stop and go... traffic for miles and miles on end. People spend $500 on a a car payment alone. I don't think people clearly understand the value of that higher monthly payment... that 2/3 can be written off completely and the 1/3 goes right into your pocket.

Last edited by pj737; 07-12-2014 at 02:47 AM..

Old 07-16-2014, 06:54 PM

323 posts, read 428,552 times
$5000 in gas a year? Thats a paradise tax. But i hear the rail is going to take 2% of the cars off the road.................lol. So the rail will add say anothe $3000 to your commuting ............it will show up in your income taxes.

Old 04-08-2022, 12:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbennett29 View Post
On Oahu, the median sale price of a single-family home increased in June to a new all time record of $700,000. The previous record ($685,000) was set in June '07.
Just think -

Had you bought a median priced home on Oahu when this was posted in 2014 at then all time record highs you'd have 7-8 years of mortgage payments behind you with increased equity along with tax savings from interest deductions - and in theory, your median priced home is now worth roughly $1,060,000 - of course, had you been able to buy above the median, you'd be doing even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu