Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 07:45 PM

26 posts, read 70,299 times

Advertisements

It seems that the Hawaii Kai area brings together the best elementary-to-high public school system on Oahu, offer slightly bigger homes for the prices, and have the least amount of rain and wind.

Would people here agree that for someone working in Town the Hawaii Kai would be the best place to buy a home.

I guess the traffic isn't planned to improve on that side of the island, but nothing is perfect.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ystasino View Post
It seems that the Hawaii Kai area brings together the best elementary-to-high public school system on Oahu, offer slightly bigger homes for the prices, and have the least amount of rain and wind.

Would people here agree that for someone working in Town the Hawaii Kai would be the best place to buy a home.
"offer slightly bigger homes for the prices" Compared to where? As of today, 7/23 - median sq ft price of houses for sale in 96825 (Hawaii Kai) is $463 vs. 96734 (Kailua) which is $474 so not much of a difference. Bang for the buck is really Kapolei, at $332/sq ft.

"and have the least amount of rain and wind." Hawaii Kai gets a fair amount of rain - according to NOAA, the Hawaii Kai Golf Course has received over 15 inches of rain since Jan 1. Compare that to the Honolulu Airport which has received about 12 inches. Depends on where in Hawaii Kai. I used to live in Hahaione Valley, and you'd get a fair amount of rain.

As far as wind goes, that really depends on the house - the ridge houses (up on the hills), can get a lot of wind. Depends on where in Hawaii Kai.

With that said, if you can afford it, Hawaii Kai is a great place to live - but it definitely is a pricier area of the Honolulu County.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:02 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ystasino View Post

I guess the traffic isn't planned to improve on that side of the island, but nothing is perfect.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
If you want dry, want the best bang for your buck (square footage wise) don't mind a long commute and want to live in Hawaii Kai, I suggest you move to Kalama Valley. It's literally a desert. When we get Kona winds, the vog out there can get pretty bad though. It's also a long trek into town but houses out there are the most affordable in East Honolulu. Kalama Valley will get you into Kamiloiki Elementary, Niu Valley Middle and Kaiser High. All top performing public schools.

With the exception of deep into Hahaione Valley as viper mentioned (where I also lived at one point), Hawaii Kai is very dry. It's not dry like Kapolei or Ewa but compared to other areas of Oahu, it's one of the driest communities.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
You have to be really careful about buying a home in Kalama Valley - when I was looking at homes there I thought I was in a fun house in most of them - many are still settling and a lot of uneven floors. Also a pain to get to grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: