Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM

950 posts, read 692,461 times

Advertisements

Does anybody else remember these Honolulu talk-show hosts from radio in the 1960s?

Most of the 1960s talk-radio was on KTRG. They had:

(1) Old Ironsides
(2) Howard Hanson
(3) Tom Slattery
(4) Jeff Burnside

And on KIKI, it was Jimmy Walker. His show was my favorite because he discussed UFOs and Bearded-Ladies.

But the very first talk-show host I heard was Sam Fisk who appeared on KGU. He did the midnight show.

I might have missed a name or two. If I did, then, by all means, add to the list.

Also, what are some unusual memories you have of those hosts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 04:20 PM

Who was that Honolulu talk-host who tried to undergo hypnotic regression right on the air in order to find his previous Reincarnation? I don't remember his name but I'm at least certain that he was None of the hosts already listed. Unless I'm mistaken, he eventually decided against it because several in his radio-audience called him up to tell him it's too dangerous. I don't know whether it's dangerous or not. All I know is that some therapists use hypnotic regression to help cure some emotional problems.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Who was that Honolulu talk-host who tried to undergo hypnotic regression right on the air in order to find his previous Reincarnation? I don't remember his name but I'm at least certain that he was None of the hosts already listed. Unless I'm mistaken, he eventually decided against it because several in his radio-audience called him up to tell him it's too dangerous. I don't know whether it's dangerous or not. All I know is that some therapists use hypnotic regression to help cure some emotional problems.
That practice of hypnotic regression was also used once by Honolulu radio-host Michael W. Perry when he featured hypnotist Alonzo DeMello. Dr. DeMello hypnotically regressed a lady back to a previous-reincarnation. Then they said they would try to verify whether the person from the previous life had actually existed. But I never heard about it afterwards. Maybe I missed the subsequent show which mentioned the verification.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:24 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
I am getting sleepy.... I am getting sleepy...I am sleepy...Very sleepy.....sleepy...sleeeeeeeeeepy................ ....

Uuurrrppp

Life is bitchin

Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
@Monastic555

Aloha Uncle,

Wow before my time and probably most on here, i only go back to the early 70s and i remember listing to the Islander Games on radio or UH football when small kid time with my ohana. I remember the big named local sportscaster who did the play by play of the games, his voice clear as day in my mind but name slips by.

But i know a group of Kama'aina who would love to talkstory with you Uncle about this subject and others.

Midlife Crisis Hawaii

Your more then welcome to comeby and say aloha and share your memories.

But radio wasn't big for me at this age with cable t.v and atari etc just startted.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,587 times
I was in the USMC on Oahu in 1964. I remember waking up in the middle of the night with the am radio playing. I heard some music and the voice said to call in. I figured it was to request a song or such. When the host got on the phone, I said, "Do you play requests?" He answered, "No, but we do request that you give us your name."

I gave him my name, told him I was from West Palm Beach, FL. He began telling me some of the history of Palm Beach County, including the so-called "Celestial Railroad". I was amazed at his knowledge of the area. I asked him if he had eidetic memory, and he replied, "Well, it is a bit of a bother at times."

That was Sam Fisk and the show was the University of the Air.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:50 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Do Perry and Price still do a drive-time show?

Old 07-26-2015, 05:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Do Perry and Price still do a drive-time show?
yes, mornings

Old 04-29-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtom42 View Post
I was in the USMC on Oahu in 1964. I remember waking up in the middle of the night with the am radio playing. I heard some music and the voice said to call in. I figured it was to request a song or such. When the host got on the phone, I said, "Do you play requests?" He answered, "No, but we do request that you give us your name."

I gave him my name, told him I was from West Palm Beach, FL. He began telling me some of the history of Palm Beach County, including the so-called "Celestial Railroad". I was amazed at his knowledge of the area. I asked him if he had eidetic memory, and he replied, "Well, it is a bit of a bother at times."

That was Sam Fisk and the show was the University of the Air.
Goodness Gracious, you are the only one besides me who remembers Sam Fisk! I wish there were more of us who remember those 1960s radio hosts.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Monastic555

Aloha Uncle,

Wow before my time and probably most on here, i only go back to the early 70s and i remember listing to the Islander Games on radio or UH football when small kid time with my ohana. I remember the big named local sportscaster who did the play by play of the games, his voice clear as day in my mind but name slips by.

But i know a group of Kama'aina who would love to talkstory with you Uncle about this subject and others.

Midlife Crisis Hawaii

Your more then welcome to comeby and say aloha and share your memories.

But radio wasn't big for me at this age with cable t.v and atari etc just startted.
Thanks for the link on Midlife Crisis Hawaii. I found it enjoyable. Very nostalgic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: