Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 10:05 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,811,118 times

Advertisements

Short answer; YES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 08:03 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,290,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManziel View Post
Well, without a job meaning only working as an independent contractor for one of those ride sharing services to hold me over while I find actual employment.

My plan is:

Become an indie contractor for Uber/Lyft
Ship my car to Honolulu via Pasha
Get some roommates
Work at peak times like Friday and Saturday night
During dead times of the day, apply for service type jobs (I work in the fitness industry)

Is this a ridiculously stupid idea? I've contemplated moving for over 1 year, and have looked at 21 different states and have literally applied to hundreds of jobs, and have found that Honolulu is THE city I want to die in. However, without actual income will I die a few weeks (of starvation) without actual employment in a very expensive city?

BTW, I have money saved up. A few grand (not much, just over 5k). Is this enough to hold me over considering I actually will be making money doing the ride sharing?
Your plan will fail, you will quickly run out of money, you will be hungry and homeless. You may think that $5K is a lot of money. It isn't a lot of money and may all be gone in 30 days or less after shipping your car and paying for your airfare. Immediately abort your plan.

Instead, I suggest you look at yourself in the mirror. Service level jobs generally pay low wages. Have you thought about improving your job skills so that you could earn more money and improve your standard of living? Do you plan on working low pay, service level jobs your entire life? Have you even thought about the future? You haven't provided any details about your age and education. If you are not too old, it is possible to dramatically improve your future. You should be concentrating on improving your future, not moving to Hawaii.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,411,567 times
Can I just answer your question in your thread title?

Yes.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,475,211 times
You definitely need more savings than that. And not just for Honolulu, that'd go for any other city you were considering.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:31 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,921,988 times
You could likely fail and it's borderline stupid, but that said I have seen people go worse off then you and make it. You at least have a plan, if somewhat flimsy. You should at least have some income and have some money. I would second the renting a room on craigslist, and look for jobs like crazy. If you can find a part time job and make money doing the taxi thing you might not do too bad, but I don't see you living a high quality life ever.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I would second the renting a room on craigslist
On Oahu, people aren't renting rooms to people with no jobs. If this was 2008, different story. Getting a room on craigslist is very difficult with no job unless there are serious issues with what you are trying to rent. Why would someone rent to someone with no job?

The no job people need to focus on a hostel, airbnb (although they are despised by many people), or VRBO where you can pay by credit card.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:49 PM

181 posts, read 275,454 times
Actually, the best information would come from the people who have already done this.

There would be some online here, but very few refrigerator boxes have good WiFi.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:58 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,921,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
On Oahu, people aren't renting rooms to people with no jobs. If this was 2008, different story. Getting a room on craigslist is very difficult with no job unless there are serious issues with what you are trying to rent. Why would someone rent to someone with no job?

The no job people need to focus on a hostel, airbnb (although they are despised by many people), or VRBO where you can pay by credit card.
As someone who has rented out rooms in my house, I seldom ask for proof of income, if they have the rent they get the room. From my experience this is true everywhere for individuals renting rooms in their homes. If you can pay the deposit and pay the first month, I bet they will rent it out. Most room rentals are by month, they don't pay one month, they don't get to stay. It's not like renting an apartment or home, most of the people renting rooms aren't real professional about it. When I interviewed potential renters the main thing that concerned me was they had payment and they would take care of the room in a responsible manner.

In fact I had 2 great renters who never had jobs, neither missed a payment and keep their areas clean. Both had just relocated, I would also guess they didn't have lots of savings, each stayed 4-5 months before moving.

Hostels, airbnb, vrbo are all good options as well. But a blanket statement saying you can't rent rooms and don't even look is not good advice.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
I don't know. I guess my friends rent out nicer places. The problem without verifying income and only getting first and last is if they stop paying you have to evict them. Extremely time consuming. Just saying. They refuse to vacate you can't just lock them out.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:51 AM

1,587 posts, read 2,125,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
As someone who has rented out rooms in my house, I seldom ask for proof of income, if they have the rent they get the room. From my experience this is true everywhere for individuals renting rooms in their homes. If you can pay the deposit and pay the first month, I bet they will rent it out. Most room rentals are by month, they don't pay one month, they don't get to stay. It's not like renting an apartment or home, most of the people renting rooms aren't real professional about it. When I interviewed potential renters the main thing that concerned me was they had payment and they would take care of the room in a responsible manner.

In fact I had 2 great renters who never had jobs, neither missed a payment and keep their areas clean. Both had just relocated, I would also guess they didn't have lots of savings, each stayed 4-5 months before moving.

Hostels, airbnb, vrbo are all good options as well. But a blanket statement saying you can't rent rooms and don't even look is not good advice.
Agreed 100%. If you rent a room, you don't need a job. Most posters here on this forum are clueless to this. Just a slew of bad information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: