Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

"After hearing testimony on why Oahu’s rail tax should be made permanent, the Senate Transportation Committee voted 8-0 Thursday to extend the surcharge to the state’s general excise tax another 25 years."

"Caldwell said the rail project is about transportation equity for residents of the Ewa plain and admitted the 20-mile system from East Kapolei to the Ala Moana Shopping Center has hit a rough patch with a projected budget deficit of $910 million. However, the mayor said the half-percent rail surcharge is the fairest way to generate money to complete the system without having to raise property taxes as much as 40 percent."

Senate Transportation Committee votes to extend rail tax 25 years | More Local News - KITV Home

I guess we shouldn't be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 11:30 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
It's rare for politicians to give back a tax once they've got it so that part is not surprising.

Raising property taxes by 40% might be interesting. That would cause all kinds of chaos. Separate the haves from the have nots even more, possibly cause a drop in property prices from folks having to sell, etc. etc. The fall out from that sort of thing could get politicians lynched so I doubt they ever actually seriously considered it. To me, the idea of "raise property taxes by 40%" sounds like some sort of scare tactic and it seems a pity the politicians resort to that sort of tactic.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:45 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It's rare for politicians to give back a tax once they've got it so that part is not surprising.
Yup. Anyone that thought the tax was only temporary has the mental equivalent of a toaster. Unfortunately that's well over 50% of our population.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Raising property taxes by 40% might be interesting. That would cause all kinds of chaos. Separate the haves from the have nots even more, possibly cause a drop in property prices from folks having to sell, etc. etc. The fall out from that sort of thing could get politicians lynched so I doubt they ever actually seriously considered it. To me, the idea of "raise property taxes by 40%" sounds like some sort of scare tactic and it seems a pity the politicians resort to that sort of tactic.
Having lived in California - I find property taxes ridiculously low. Lower than they should be. I'd have no problem with property taxes going up 40% if it was directed at the poor education system in Hawaii. If my home was in California, I'd be paying well over $20,000/year - here, roughly $6,000 - something doesn't make sense with those figures. And since property tax is tax deductible, you wouldn't feel the full impact of the 40%.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
If i understand the rail system is already way over budget and behind schedule? Is this because the price of raw goods is more expensive? Or is this another example of poor management and not doing careful planning for the future? Just wondering. And how do you measure success for a project like this? Do you compare it to similar projects from other areas?

Is it reasonable to continue taxing or raising taxes in an area the has the highest cost of living? For a rail system that some speculate that won't really solve the traffic congestion issue. Whats even more scary is by the time its done. How much will they have to charge to ride lightrail to balance costs?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-13-2015 at 12:36 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Having lived in California - I find property taxes ridiculously low. Lower than they should be. I'd have no problem with property taxes going up 40% if it was directed at the poor education system in Hawaii. If my home was in California, I'd be paying well over $20,000/year - here, roughly $6,000 - something doesn't make sense with those figures. And since property tax is tax deductible, you wouldn't feel the full impact of the 40%.
You're kidding right? Real property tax is lower than it should be? That's like saying Nevada should have a sales tax because 0 is pretty darn low (Hint - nobody in Nevada says that).

Hawaii has the highest state income tax in the country.

Hawaii has (by far) the highest effective "sales" tax in the country. It's disguised at GET.

Not a penny of real property tax revenue goes to our education system.

Real property tax is the only area that we have some relief.

And if you aren't aware, as of 2015, all single family and two-family homes on Oahu that are not owner-occupied and are worth over $1M now incur a real property tax rate which is 71.5% higher than it's been for decades.

There are better methods of keeping our population in check.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
If i understand the rail system is already way over budget and behind schedule? Is this because the price of raw goods is more expensive? Or is this another example of poor management and not doing careful planning for the future? Just wondering. And how do you measure success for a project like this? Do you compare it to similar projects from other areas?

Is it reasonable to continue taxing or raising taxes in an area the has the highest cost of living? For a rail system that some speculate that won't really solve the traffic congestion issue. Whats even more scary is by the time its done. How much will they have to charge to ride lightrail to balance costs?
The rail is a carefully crafted land development scheme. Period. It has NEVER been about solving traffic because it will only make it worse. Much worse.

Since 2006 I've been saying this project will run $2B over budget once it's all said and done. I'm right on track (pun intended). In 2006 I said the city will lie through their teeth to convince voters to support it. Then they would start construction, get far enough along the process where it's "too late to turn back", then reveal to the voters we are way, way over budget. As stated, exactly as I predicted.

All I can say now it to move into the urban core as fast as you can. The next steps will be GPS based toll roads and high gas taxes. Commuting by car is going to get very, very expensive over the next decade. It will be so cost prohibitive to drive any far distance it will force people to ride the train. That's the plan.

Sorry for the horn tooting but this was so ridiculously obvious from day one. You didn't have to be smart at all to see this coming.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
You're kidding right? Real property tax is lower than it should be? That's like saying Nevada should have a sales tax because 0 is pretty darn low (Hint - nobody in Nevada says that).

Hawaii has the highest state income tax in the country.

Hawaii has (by far) the highest effective "sales" tax in the country. It's disguised at GET.

Not a penny of real property tax revenue goes to our education system.

Real property tax is the only area that we have some relief.

And if you aren't aware, as of 2015, all single family and two-family homes on Oahu that are not owner-occupied and are worth over $1M now incur a real property tax rate which is 71.5% higher than it's been for decades.

There are better methods of keeping our population in check.
I said - I'd support higher property taxes if it went to education. The state income tax brackets aren't bad until to get to the top rate. Even then, one should feel fortunate to be there.

This site suggests our burden is only #20 in the nation.

Release of Annual State-Local Tax Burdens Rankings | Tax Foundation

Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
@pj737

Isnt that about par for Hawai'i government on most redevelopements or big projects from what im told?

Old 02-13-2015, 08:29 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
the Senate Transportation Committee voted 8-0 Thursday to extend the surcharge to the state’s general excise tax another 25 years."
Wheeee! This has to guarantee the Oahu-Maui line. MAUI 2040 T-shirts on order now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu