Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No. Better. At least in the areas I've lived and areas to which I travel regularly. I've only been here for 25 years though.
So the stories of manhole covers popping off, flash flooding and slides are wrong? I still haven't heard that they replaced the ancient infrastructure in honolulu that we had in the 70s? I still remember that a few hrs of heavy rains in kakaako would really flood alot of streets and thats with only half the population using its system. Now im not saying your wrong its just odd thats all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I still haven't heard that they replaced the ancient infrastructure in honolulu that we had in the 70s?
Now you have

Kakaako has had more than 40 projects and $200 million worth of infrastructure improvements completed since 1988 in preparation for its full emergence as Honolulu’s new swan.

Kakaako’s Building Boom | Hawaii Business Magazine

Old 04-09-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Now you have

Kakaako has had more than 40 projects and $200 million worth of infrastructure improvements completed since 1988 in preparation for its full emergence as Honolulu’s new swan.

Kakaako’s Building Boom | Hawaii Business Magazine
well improvements but not replacements. Obviously the 200 million isn't enough according to business owners, residents and politicians in kakaako.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zVdRCfEzyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7WXpDueB20
^^^^^^
Ala mo recently.

What about the news articles of flash floods, manhole covers popping off, slides.

Are all these false, fake also etc?

To me i don't care about win or lose i just want the issues to be presented and not covered up, poo poo away or spun 1000 times.

But how much more money has been spent so developers can make billions?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 04-09-2015 at 10:03 PM..

Old 04-09-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Yes, aging infrastructure is a big problem on Oahu, however, not any more particularly serious here than it is anywhere else on the planet.

Taxes will go way up (everywhere) to fix all the aging infrastructure built in the post-war era. Everything from publicly owned bridges to sewer lines to buildings will all need to be either rehabilitated or replaced entirely over the next couple decades.
What im wondering is why are we not requiring developers and investors to pay for there own infrastructure upgrades? Other cities require developers to do that, why do taxpayers of oahu have to pay for it? Unless im wrong and they do?

Old 04-09-2015, 10:40 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,052 times
Quote:
What im wondering is why are we not requiring developers and investors to pay for there own infrastructure upgrades? Other cities require developers to do that, why do taxpayers of oahu have to pay for it? Unless im wrong and they do?
Investors pay large development fees that go to the city. But more importantly, improving infrastructure to enable development is an investment by the city. And they get exponentially larger returns in terms of tax revenue then they spend on the infrastructure.

Basically the city is making an investment that allows the development which in turn results in much greater income to the city in terms of all those new condos paying taxes forever forward.

It's not charity. It's not a back room deal to give money to developers. It's an investment by the city to make a calculated profit off their infrastructure investment. Nothing more or less.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Investors pay large development fees that go to the city. But more importantly, improving infrastructure to enable development is an investment by the city. And they get exponentially larger returns in terms of tax revenue then they spend on the infrastructure.

Basically the city is making an investment that allows the development which in turn results in much greater income to the city in terms of all those new condos paying taxes forever forward.

It's not charity. It's not a back room deal to give money to developers. It's an investment by the city to make a calculated profit off their infrastructure investment. Nothing more or less.
Ok mahalo, yeah sorry if i sound so against big money, its not that im opposed to being rich or making profit. Its just if anyone has abused the system more its been politicians and big money in Hawaii. JMHO

Old 04-10-2015, 12:14 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
What im wondering is why are we not requiring developers and investors to pay for there own infrastructure upgrades? Other cities require developers to do that, why do taxpayers of oahu have to pay for it?
I realize you haven't been here in 40 years, the developers of Kaakako are paying for infrastructure upgrades - why would someone developing luxury condo's in Hawaii who has done business in Hawaii for decades not do that?

"Keeping tabs on it all is the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA), the state agency established in 1976 to coordinate the redevelopment of Kakaako."

"HCDA’s compliance assurance officer Lindsey Doi says the infrastructure concerns are misplaced. “Capacity studies are done by the developers and individual providers before the plans are ever taken to HCDA,” she says. For instance, she says, “Board of Water Supply has to approve it, or tell the developer what additional capacity is needed.”

She acknowledges that additional capacity will likely be needed, but in those cases, the developers are on the hook. “Howard Hughes has already been told it will need to install a new sewer line near the theatre for its future buildings,” she reports.

The economic benefit to city and state coffers is hard to ignore. Striph says the Waiea building now pays $171,000 a year in city property taxes as an empty lot, but is forecast to pay $2 million a year once complete. The project’s construction is slated to generate $55 million in excise taxes, create 5,000 temporary jobs and generate a total economic benefit of $925 million. “And that’s just one building,”

“One guy told me he’d been on unemployment for 19 months. Now he’s got good, consistent work for the next four to five years. That’s a step in the right direction.”

He is excited about Kakaako’s future. “I’m a Hawaiian kamaaina, and I don’t see the problem. This isn’t the North Shore, where we’re ripping out trees and destroying nature,” he says. “It’s about time this part of town got refreshed.”

Kakaako: Remade for the 21st Century | Hawaii Business Magazine

Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,052 times
Quote:
Ok mahalo, yeah sorry if i sound so against big money, its not that im opposed to being rich or making profit. Its just if anyone has abused the system more its been politicians and big money in Hawaii. JMHO
I agree with this.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I agree with this.
We kinda agree on alot of things. CoOl.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:05 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I realize you haven't been here in 40 years, the developers of Kaakako are paying for infrastructure upgrades - why would someone developing luxury condo's in Hawaii who has done business in Hawaii for decades not do that?

"Keeping tabs on it all is the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA), the state agency established in 1976 to coordinate the redevelopment of Kakaako."

"HCDA’s compliance assurance officer Lindsey Doi says the infrastructure concerns are misplaced. “Capacity studies are done by the developers and individual providers before the plans are ever taken to HCDA,” she says. For instance, she says, “Board of Water Supply has to approve it, or tell the developer what additional capacity is needed.”

She acknowledges that additional capacity will likely be needed, but in those cases, the developers are on the hook. “Howard Hughes has already been told it will need to install a new sewer line near the theatre for its future buildings,” she reports.

The economic benefit to city and state coffers is hard to ignore. Striph says the Waiea building now pays $171,000 a year in city property taxes as an empty lot, but is forecast to pay $2 million a year once complete. The project’s construction is slated to generate $55 million in excise taxes, create 5,000 temporary jobs and generate a total economic benefit of $925 million. “And that’s just one building,”

“One guy told me he’d been on unemployment for 19 months. Now he’s got good, consistent work for the next four to five years. That’s a step in the right direction.”

He is excited about Kakaako’s future. “I’m a Hawaiian kamaaina, and I don’t see the problem. This isn’t the North Shore, where we’re ripping out trees and destroying nature,” he says. “It’s about time this part of town got refreshed.”

Kakaako: Remade for the 21st Century | Hawaii Business Magazine

Yes, build more ultra-luxury high rise buildings. The more the better. I hope most of the 30 new condos planned are as luxurious as Waiea. I've ALWAYS been a huge advocate for these ridiculously opulent towers. Great money makers for us lowly locals and we're too darn blind to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: