Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:30 AM

199 posts, read 707,618 times

Advertisements

Hello Hawaii peeps! DH and I used to live on Oahu 21 years ago. We've been back to Hawaii (Maui mostly) a few times since then but haven't been to Oahu since we lived there. We are coming to visit in a few weeks and I have been compiling a list of places I want to go, to show my kids, who have never been to Hawaii. I saw that Holiday Mart is now a Don Quijote (?!). We'll be staying in the east Waikiki area. I also hear that Star Market is no longer, is there a market on University Ave. where that location was? I just thought the university area is kind of easy to get to from where we are staying, and we'll have a car.

Also trying to find out where the best place to get omiyage is (souvenirs). I know Costco can have a good deal on a "suitcase" of Hawaiian Host chocolate covered mac candy, but I can also get into Sam's Club. Would love to know where your favorite deal places are. Please tell me that crack seed store in Kaimuki is still there. I see it on Yelp, but those reviews can be pretty old!

What is fun to bring to Hawaii these days for omiyage. I have some family there and would like to bring a little something but due to weight restrictions these days it will be pretty small. I was thinking of Texas Trader Joe's reusable grocery bags. They are light weight, inexpensive and easy to return if I don't see everybody! What do you think of that. Mahalo for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 12:00 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Aloha swap meet should have all sorts of baubles. Once you get outside of Waikiki, most of the basic level retail (Longs, Walmart, etc.) should have a Hawaiiana section with Hawaii branded things. It's hard to find Made in Hawaii souvenirs, though.

If you're bringing omiyagi from Texas, is there any dry (lightweight) BBQ powder or something very Texas you can bring? BBQ in Hawaii is very different from mainland BBQ.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:46 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
@abner463

Aloha, Your in for a shock, Most crackseed stores are closed including The crackseed center in ala moana, but never fear you can still get crackseed https://www.crackseedcenter.com/Default.aspx you can always call them too for information about any possible locations still open. Plus there are a few ma & pa places open. Don't be shocked that local places you loved are gone or changed in the last 21 years. Most drive inn restaurants are gone, so is holiday mart and ala moana center is no longer local. The international market place is gone. Some things still remain like Leonard's Bakery Liliha Bakery and Rainbow Drive-In. Alot of local business are gone or disappearing in Oahu.

As for omiyage try all the stores common to mainland(costco, wal mart) and try trusty ol' Longs Drugs, i also like Shirokiya which is still at the mall.

Good luck if i can help in anyway direct message me.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:10 PM

Yeah I know things change, it's sad! I can't believe Macy's took over Liverty House. I worked there for a while. Crazy. Looking forward to showing my kids where we used to go way back when. ��

Old 06-27-2015, 03:18 PM

246 posts, read 649,927 times
Don Quiote has tonnage of omiyage. Pretty much a one-stop-shop. You'll have to elbow your way through the japanese tourists thou.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Don Quiote has tonnage of omiyage. Pretty much a one-stop-shop. You'll have to elbow your way through the japanese tourists thou.
Mahalo lost_traveler1 for reminding me, how did i totally forget holiday mart (Don Q)? Great choice.

+1

Old 06-27-2015, 11:50 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,734 times
You still have Times Super market and Food land down in Honolulu. July 1st no more plastic bags for Grocery shopping, and Longs Drugs. Have to provide your own shopping bags or pickup non perishable bags. Lots of change's in 21 years.
Enjoy your vacation.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
You still have Times Super market and Food land down in Honolulu. July 1st no more plastic bags for Grocery shopping, and Longs Drugs. Have to provide your own shopping bags or pickup non perishable bags. Lots of change's in 21 years.
Enjoy your vacation.
Good to know, thank you! I thought that might be a thing there in Hawaii. We have that in Austin, which I don't always remember when I go there but since I have about a million reusable shopping bags, it's not a big deal.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:43 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
The most popular item I brought as a gift this summer was SPAM Macadamia nuts.

Got them at the commissary, but they have to be sold elsewhere.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-06-2015, 07:10 PM

133 posts, read 182,314 times
THose Spam macadamia nuts can be found at Longs, Don Quixote and ABC stores also. People do love them especially since everyone thinks of HI as Spam capital. I just came back from the mainland and people loved the Aloha Hershey's kisses. I only bought small bags. I wish I had bought the giant bags from Costco. The other big hit was Kona coffee glazed mac nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: