Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:03 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,121,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Be careful, it's known that a lot of the farmer's get their stuff from Costco and then sell at farmer's markets. Just keep an eye out, it's pretty easy to tell when something is grown here.

The tomatoes and spinach I grow at home look nothing like what is shipped in. They taste like a completely different food.

Which farmers buy their food from Costco and then sell and label them at farmer's markets as locally produced? I'd like to know. If it did happen, it's an extremely isolated event and in no way should dissuade anyone from supporting these critical shopping options.

I agree. There is a HUGE difference from local produce and imported. For one, the food is MUCH fresher. The stuff from the mainland or other countries has been sitting in a refrigerator for 4+ weeks. Gross.

I can get a bag of kale from a farmer's market and put it in my fridge. 3 weeks later it's still in perfect condition. Imported would be disgusting and inedible after 5 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
The addition to the mortgage would be significantly less than a retail space. Not sure on the commercial property tax, I'm sure it is not much different than having a home business without the business "front."

They seem to be selling well, and not all of them are with the business space. They are mixed with a wide range of townhomes, some as small as 750 sq ft. That size is a welcome addition for single people looking for their first home.

I'm pretty happy with the changes and growth I've seen. Hawaii was long past due for some of these ideas.
Are you saying people can conduct business (i.e. customers coming and going while marketing/selling products out of their residential homes)? That's illegal anywhere.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@pj737

pj737 I appreciate you saying what ive been trying to say for along time, you have better use of words thou. Yes its sad, whats going to happen when people do finally realise the damage is too extensive for the aina and it can't be recovered? Eh, sorry you were right? or what are we going to say? We told you so?

Honest i really don't think anyone has an ideal of a solution to the issues faced on oahu except build up or more. If you challenge that ideal then your "the bad guy". Maybe find ideals that work with nature then conquering it.
Mahalos HBH. Sadly, the local people are the ones that are least likely to support real sustainability measures - they don't care, they just want cheap housing. I see overwhelmingly it's the haoles (particularly those that move from liberal cities/states - they are younger and generally more educated) that strongly support preserving our agricultural lands. These people are, by far, the most outspoken and vocal advocates of viable sustainability options regarding food-production autonomy and independence.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:51 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,783,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Mahalos HBH. Sadly, the local people are the ones that are least likely to support real sustainability measures - they don't care, they just want cheap housing. I see overwhelmingly it's the haoles (particularly those that move from liberal cities/states - they are younger and generally more educated) that strongly support preserving our agricultural lands. These people are, by far, the most outspoken and vocal advocates of viable sustainability options regarding food-production autonomy and independence.
No biggie uncle. When we talk about locals we must understand that we are not talking the same
Locals, locals I often refer to are the older generation who protestted the bombing of kahoolawe, who faught to keep communities local and small. Who wouldn't go to sleep if someone they knew in the community was hungry, they the ones who watch your house when you leave door unlocked. It's no surprise that things are way different today. This current generation has been drowned in marketing, everyone has pretty much lost to big business and profit and we are becoming one world

Old 07-05-2015, 07:56 PM

48,590 posts, read 35,070,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Are you saying people can conduct business (i.e. customers coming and going while marketing/selling products out of their residential homes)? That' s illegal anywhere.
"Featuring D.R. Horton's popular "FLEX" Homes with room for a retail space, home office, or extended family suite"

New Homes in Kahiku At Mehana | Kapolei, Hawaii | D.R. Horton

Can you expand on your comment bolded above?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-05-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
"Featuring D.R. Horton's popular "FLEX" Homes with room for a retail space, home office, or extended family suite"

New Homes in Kahiku At Mehana | Kapolei, Hawaii | D.R. Horton

Can you expand on your comment bolded above?
You can convert any room in a home anywhere on the island into an "office". But retail, that's another story.

If these townhomes have retail spaces on the ground floor, how is this going to impact the AOAO's insurance? What about parking? Are these homes coming with 3-5 parking stalls each to accommodate these converted residential to retail establishments and the city's LUO ordinance requirement of 1 stall per 300 SF of space + one oversized ADA accessible stall with side van access? What if I want to cook and serve food? Venting requirements? Grease trap? Can I only serve cold sandwiches? How is the city addressing property tax on the units? Assuming 3 floors or equal size, is the bottom retail unit going to be taxed at the commercial rate and top two floors at the residential rate (33/66 split)? You cannot have a property that is legal for commercial use and not be taxed at the very high commercial rate. This is not an option for the developer or the AOAO.

These units are wildly popular because that ground floor "flex space" can be converted into a separate ohana unit (per the developer). It's like buying a single family home with a legal ohana unit - or getting two homes in one. That greatly increases the value of the home. It's a great concept to sell units but I would surmise most of these flex spaces will simply be occupied by residential tenants that the owners will collect rent from to help offset their mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: