Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:54 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,113,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTS2015 View Post

When you say an hour to go 9 miles, do you mean on average on weekdays?
As bad as traffic is here on this tiny island, 1 hour to travel 9 miles is anomalistic.

Stalled vehicles blocking lanes, traffic accidents, construction projects, etc can definitely make 9 miles take one hour - or much more. But there are very few 9-mile single point destinations that will take an hour to complete under normal conditions - even during rush hour.

Having said that, the commute times from West Oahu (Kapolei, Ewa Beach, etc) into downtown/Waikiki during rush hour (morning and afternoons) can easily take 80-90 minutes without any anomalies (accidents, etc). But the commuting distance is typically 20-25 miles, one way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 01:23 AM

430 posts, read 640,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTS2015 View Post
Well, I commute 6 miles, and it takes 30 min here on NE coast of mainland. If there are traffic diversions, or accident, yes it can take up to an hour or more. At least where I live, the rush hours traffic is overflowing into outside of rush hours. Weekends are also becoming more and more like rush hours in terms of traffic so in my humble lowly opinion, the traffic affects people's ability to make a living because the choice of employment becomes limited due to traffic unless you can afford to quickly move all within about 30 mile radius.

When you say an hour to go 9 miles, do you mean on average on weekdays?
Average is about 45 minutes. If there's an accident on the highway it pushes drivers onto the side road (note the singular) and it takes an hour

The NE is also overcrowded, but at least you have options with the large number of small towns with jobs and housing. Oahu is a small city with a bunch of suburbs and inadequate infrastructure. They are building rail but it seems to be decades away from completion.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 PM

181 posts, read 274,450 times
What part of "The Gathering Place" requires explanation?

Old 09-21-2015, 03:48 AM

234 posts, read 162,354 times
you'll have long waits in line at places like Costco and Walmart perhaps, but grocery store/library/etc aren't too bad. like others have said tho - you can see just how overcrowded Oahu has become from the traffic...especially 'pau hana' time or on weekends at many beaches.
I don't even go surf on the weekend and almost NEVER in Waikiki....too choke full of people and good luck finding decent parking on the streets there.
My uncle was born and raised here...lived his whole life on the island. in his 60's now and he has finally decided to move. One of the major reasons?????? -----TOO MANY PEOPLE

Old 09-21-2015, 10:48 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,672,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
BASICALLY, large cities have more people, but they also have more establishments absolutely everywhere to cater to the more people. In general, I find cities to more efficient at people moving about.
If you're in Waikiki and have need of basic grocery items or other sundries, you're never more than a block or so from an ABC Store. And I don't think I've ever had more than 2 or 3 people in line ahead of me in one, either.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:48 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,296,017 times
I live in Boston (have my whole life). Twice in the past few years I visited Oahu/Honolulu for 3 week stints each time. I didn't notice any differences in the lines there versus any other city I've been to.

Now the traffic - that rivals Boston at its worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu