Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 12:30 PM

18 posts, read 26,843 times

Advertisements

Read this today in the Star. This was surprising to me. Off and on I see a few Europeans topless at the beach, but more figured they were naive to breaking the law. Turns out they are not breaking the law.

Topless sunbathing legal under state and city laws

By Christine Donnelly

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Aug 28, 2015

Question: My son told me that there was a topless woman at Ala Moana Beach Park. They went up to her to tell her that it was not legal. She told them that she had asked the lifeguard and she was from a foreign country and so it was OK. This has been bothering me. Is this correct? There were children there.
Answer: Yes, the visitor was correct. There is no legal requirement that females wear bathing suit tops in Hawaii, although community standards generally prevail to keep women covered up on public beaches, even those visiting from countries where topless sunbathing is common.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 12:55 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Default Nude Beaches on Oahu

Polo Beach (Mokulea) – It’s on the popular North Shore, and is where many of the local nudists go, but it’s not always nudist-friendly. West of Wailua, toward Farrington Air Field.

Two other beaches mentioned on Oahu to try are Kahuku Beach (on Route 83, 2 miles north of Laie) and Kaneane Beach (off Hwy 93, on leeward shore).

Old 09-01-2015, 01:42 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Turns out they are not breaking the law.
why would you assume they were? Because no one else does it? I mean when was the last time you looked to see if it was against the law if it bothered you enough?

so leave the children at home? I mean, well... you can't "punish" them since it is legal, might as well accept it and learn to deal with it. The kids will eventually learn about it anyways, at least if you take the initiative, you can direct the conversation instead of them

Old 09-01-2015, 02:29 AM

258 posts, read 421,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Polo Beach (Mokulea) – It’s on the popular North Shore, and is where many of the local nudists go, but it’s not always nudist-friendly. West of Wailua, toward Farrington Air Field.

Two other beaches mentioned on Oahu to try are Kahuku Beach (on Route 83, 2 miles north of Laie) and Kaneane Beach (off Hwy 93, on leeward shore).
*Mokuleia
*Waialua
*Dillingham Air Field

nit picky, I know, but one letter can make a difference and put you on a completely different island.

~Katy

Old 09-01-2015, 07:04 AM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
I have been going topless on Waikiki Beach and Ala Moana Beach for years and no one has ever said anything about it. Hehehe

On a separate note, I personally feel "topless" and "nudist" are significantly different. But generally pleased that the norm in Hawaii is not "European" style.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:46 AM

140 posts, read 188,806 times
Quote:
There were children there.
OMG, the horror of it all, children seeing women's breasts. However shall we protect them? Just think of all the damage it will do. Anyone who requires proof need look no further than the countless millions of children that have been deeply scarred by seeing topless men. Perhaps the poor woman who wrote into the newspaper can protect her children by not taking them to the beach so they won't be exposed to such horrors.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:09 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,169 times
Then there's this...
[pic removed]

Last edited by Administrator; 01-03-2017 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: rules violation

Old 09-01-2015, 11:25 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
I like the pic! You could put some eyebrows on the fabric and have a real winner. It might not be prudent to depend too much on factual information from a newspaper. You could always call the police and ask them, if it's that big of a deal for you. But then I wouldn't depend too much on factual information....you get the idea. Each area has it's own vibe, so go w/ the flow. Right on! Power to the people!

Sorry, I had a senior hippie flashback moment. Peace.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:27 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
It should be pointed out to the wannabee tourist who want to start totally nude sunbathing, totally nude sunbathing is illegal, but often permitted with a blind eye at Polo Beach. Topless sunbathing is not illegal.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:11 PM

210 posts, read 250,609 times
Topless sunbathers are overrated. Usually downright ugly to ogle...............hahahaa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu