Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 09:52 AM

209 posts, read 314,694 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have grown up spending the school year in New York City and summers in Hawaii (parents divorce). I know what New York City is like and what Honolulu is like. However, I have little experience with Los Angeles and San Diego. However, from what I have seen:

LA and San Diego have some beaches that look more Hawaiian then New York.

LA and San Diego have mountains like Hawaii

Some overlap between Hawaii and Los Angeles/SD in terms of Jack in the Box, plate lunches and even free refills

Hawaii Kai and Kahala look more Southern California than New York.

So for anyone who has experience with Honolulu, New York, and Southern calfornia:

1. In your experience, is there more cultural overlap between Honolulu and Southern California compared to New York?

2. Does the scenery of SD/LA appear more similar to Honolulu you compared to New York.

3. Suppose someone wanted to live in a place that was a hybrid between New York and Honolulu, would LA/San Diego fit the bill?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 10:24 AM

18,438 posts, read 19,093,822 times
San Diego/LA area is probably the closest you'll get and stay in the US

Old 11-30-2015, 10:53 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,592,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
But, you just can't beat the good old TOH

Old 11-30-2015, 05:57 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,838,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
You meant to say, and stay on the Mainland U.S.

For the OP, in my view, San Diego is closer in "feel" to Oahu. You have the beauty of the ocean and you have mountain views as well. The city iitself is fairly clean and laid back.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:02 PM

33 posts, read 157,208 times
I don't think soCal comes close to Hawaii in terms of beauty. The beaches are really quite different. The backdrop in LA and SD is dry, semi arid mountains. The soil and cliffs are a sandy color and there are few rock formations. Hawaii is semi-tropical and the land is created from lava, so vegetation and topography couldn't be more different. The ocean is warm in Hawaii (probably due to currents) whereas soCal oceans can be pretty cold. Yes, both have mountains and beaches, but then so does Iceland. That is where the similarity ends. New York is a different kettle of fish.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:52 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,268,352 times
The drive to and from Waianae on Farrington Hwy to me. Looks like I10 on the California/Arizona boarder with the rock formations of both places. Both places are in Semi-Arid Mountains areas, with Waianae the driest area on Oahu. Not counting the Ocean!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu