Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 02:17 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by telizabeth View Post
Wow, I am very surprised to hear that is has been so hot as to require A/C; I have been reading all about how Hawaii never gets brutally hot because of the wind. Good to know!
"Brutally hot" is very subjective. As is "requiring" ac. Many, many homes in Hawaii do not have any ac units. And some may only have ac in one bedroom or just the living room. Since you're from the Pacific Northwest, 80 degrees might be uncomfortable. If you come from Texas or Florida, 90 degrees might be just fine. Our recent heatwave, as anomalistic as it was, didn't really break a significant number of temperature records. But it was accompanied by abnormally high humidity and unseasonably stagnant winds... which made it uncomfortable even for those that reside in well-designed homes with sufficient cross ventilation.

I would stay away from Kahaluu (the monster trucks are even bigger in Kahaluu) or Palolo. If your home-schooling concept doesn't pan out (as it likely won't as $80K will be extremely difficult for a 4-person family), you'll be putting your little ones in some of the worst performing grade schools on the island.

Whatever your expectation is in a home, you should lower it further. As long as you have low expectations on a home (small size, tiny rooms, undesirable layout, old and dated finishes, etc) you could land a place in a location that you find desirable in the "high $2,000" range. These homes will definitely be more the exception to the rule, but they aren't impossible to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 02:19 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Most of your amenities if you're past Kaneohe will be in Kaneohe. It's not a bad town, it is just a bit more of a 'working' town than Kailua. Kailua has that long white beach and tons of tourists. Kaneohe doesn't have the big white beach so it's a town of folks who live in Hawaii instead of locals with loads of tourists.

Well, Oahu isn't that big, so find a place for several weeks as a temporary landing spot and wander around and see which areas you like. You may choose somewhere completely different.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Our recent heatwave, as anomalistic as it was, didn't really break a significant number of temperature records.
What's a "significant" number?

Sizzling temperatures during record-setting summer - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

"The soaring temperatures and humidity have produced about 50 high temperature records statewide this summer, according to the National Weather Service."

"It really is significantly warmer than what we typically have," said meteorologist Chris Brenchley of the National Weather Service. "The top tier of the warmest summers that we've seen."

Old 02-27-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What's a "significant" number?

Sizzling temperatures during record-setting summer - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

"The soaring temperatures and humidity have produced about 50 high temperature records statewide this summer, according to the National Weather Service."

"It really is significantly warmer than what we typically have," said meteorologist Chris Brenchley of the National Weather Service. "The top tier of the warmest summers that we've seen."
My point is it has been hotter in the past but you wouldn't know that because you weren't living here. 50 records sounds impressive but it's over 5 reporting sites across the state over nearly 100 days. That's nearly 500 records that can be broke. 1 in 10 records being set is impressive but by no means historical.

From Wunderground -

Honolulu experienced six record daily highs in July and four in August including a 93° reading on August 12th which ties their all-time August monthly record (set on 14 other occasions however!). Honolulu’s all-time record high is 95° registered on September 19, 1994. On August 22nd the minimum temperature of 81° set a new all-time (any month) record high-low. The previous record of 80° has occurred before on six different days, the most recent being August 1, 2004. July was the warmest such on record with a 83.3° average (previous July monthly record being 83.2° in 1995). Despite, all the warmth the all-time warmest single month nor warmest summer was achieved: the monthly record being 84.3° in August 1994 and the warmest summer being that of 2005 with an 83.1° average. This summer averaged 82.5°. Temperature POR for Honolulu begins in 1890.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:51 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
My point is it has been hotter in the past but you wouldn't know that because you weren't living here. 50 records sounds impressive but it's over 5 reporting sites across the state over nearly 100 days. That's nearly 500 records that can be broke. 1 in 10 records being set is impressive but by no means historical.
If they indicated what the corresponding dew point was when those records were set the info would be more applicable to today. Whenever the dew point gets to be over 70, and the temp is in the high 80's, you may as well forget about getting by without AC. And last summer, with all the near miss hurricanes, the dew point was over 70 for days on end.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:39 PM

22 posts, read 32,936 times
Well, all of it sounds hot to me, as you noted I am used to cool and temperate! I suppose we could always buy a stand alone A/C tower if we are miserable and the house does't have it built in.
I guess I will have to get there and see, renting something temporary initially. Is google maps traffic total BS? (It says 40 minutes to get from kalahuu to UH Manoa by 9 am on Monday morning...)
I am not fussy about needing to live in a fancy modern-feeling home. We currently live in an older, small townhouse (less than 1000 sq ft) with all four of us and a dog, so I am fine with a older home, as long as it's not unhealthy (i.e. mold etc.). I just want a sense of space in my surrounding, with trees and access to green spaces very nearby.
Hurricanes.... ? oy.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
You need AC TODAY and it's only February! No wind + Vog today.

Google Maps is very rough in Honolulu - take it with a grain of salt. If all stars align after rush hour (as in it's really over) AND no accidents, you "might" make it in 40 minutes.

Photo below today at 245pm near downtown

Old 02-27-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You need AC TODAY and it's only February! No wind + Vog today.

Google Maps is very rough in Honolulu - take it with a grain of salt. If all stars align after rush hour (as in it's really over) AND no accidents, you "might" make it in 40 minutes.

Photo below today at 245pm near downtown
You must live in a poorly designed home. I live in the Punchbowl area (stone's throw from downtown) and I haven't turned on my ac in months. Ceiling fans have been adequate.

And you might want to get your thermometer fixed. It was definitely not 88 degrees today. The weather has been gorgeous for quite some time... in the upper 70's to low 80's.

Last edited by pj737; 02-27-2016 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telizabeth View Post
Well, all of it sounds hot to me, as you noted I am used to cool and temperate! I suppose we could always buy a stand alone A/C tower if we are miserable and the house does't have it built in.
I guess I will have to get there and see, renting something temporary initially. Is google maps traffic total BS? (It says 40 minutes to get from kalahuu to UH Manoa by 9 am on Monday morning...)
I am not fussy about needing to live in a fancy modern-feeling home. We currently live in an older, small townhouse (less than 1000 sq ft) with all four of us and a dog, so I am fine with a older home, as long as it's not unhealthy (i.e. mold etc.). I just want a sense of space in my surrounding, with trees and access to green spaces very nearby.
Hurricanes.... ? oy.
Most people that migrate from colder climates acclimate over time. While it can get a bit hot here during the summer months, it's generally mild most of the year. And it never gets hot or humid like it does in many parts of the mainland. When the thermometer breaks 90 degrees on Oahu or dips below 60, it's a big deal. No other state comes even remotely close to our incredibly temperate climate.

Being comfortable in a <1,000 SF home is definitely helpful in finding a home in your budget.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
If they indicated what the corresponding dew point was when those records were set the info would be more applicable to today. Whenever the dew point gets to be over 70, and the temp is in the high 80's, you may as well forget about getting by without AC. And last summer, with all the near miss hurricanes, the dew point was over 70 for days on end.
Agreed. But some people don't understand what anomalies are. An unusually hot summer is not a harbinger of similarly hot summers to come. Global warming is definitely real... but that last incredible heatwave we experienced was essentially the perfect storm (unusually warm sea surface temp, tropical cyclones and low pressure systems stalling and one time literally boomeranging back to park and block prevailing winds and creating an environment of very high humidity). During that same period, Hawaii was threatened by more hurricanes than any other time in history. Records were completely shattered. And jaw dropping images of three massive Cat 4+ hurricanes spinning simultaneously in the Pacific made global headlines.

Of course nobody can predict the future, I just don't see those kinds of long and uncomfortable heatwaves occurring often in the near future. At least that's what I'm hoping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu