Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 08:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

And you might want to get your thermometer fixed. It was definitely not 88 degrees today. The weather has been gorgeous for quite some time... in the upper 70's to low 80's.
Hmmm, let's see how the iPhone temp and the car compares at 510pm (it's still 81 in Kailua at 510 so I'm not surprised it was upper 80's downtown at 245). Anyway, car looks pretty accurate to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 04:03 PM

22 posts, read 32,942 times
Global warming will certainly impact Hawaii, as everywhere else, which is worrying, of course. And water catchment systems will probably be a good idea! I am surprised at the dearth of eco-features in homes on Hawaii... with so much sun, wind and rain, you'd think there'd be more. (Sounds like the power company gauges people, so all the more reason too!)

From what I have read, there are many microclimates on the island... perhaps this partly explains the difference in perception of heat/weather of different posters?

Old 02-28-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telizabeth View Post

From what I have read, there are many microclimates on the island... perhaps this partly explains the difference in perception of heat/weather of different posters?
Not many microclimates on Oahu - wet side/dry side and only a small area where elevation makes a difference near downtown. That's about it.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:27 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
But at least Oahu is small enough that there's pretty much always a beach nearby. Gets really hot, swimming is good.

A lot of Oahu is getting covered in asphalt and concrete, though, that heats things up and keeps rain from getting to the aquifer as well.

There are a lot of folks putting solar water heating and solar electric panels on the roof. A lot of Hawaii Island relies on rainwater for their household water. I know of a few folks on Oahu who do, too, but they are a fairly small minority.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:30 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telizabeth View Post

Of course, rather than relying on the difference in perception of the weather from different posters, you could always check one of the official weather reporting stations in Hawaii. You could go to NOAA's National Weather site, which lets you enter specific city or zip code information. Or Weather Underground. I'm sure there's more.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Of course, rather than relying on the difference in perception of the weather from different posters, you could always check one of the official weather reporting stations in Hawaii. You could go to NOAA's National Weather site, which lets you enter specific city or zip code information. Or Weather Underground. I'm sure there's more.
You should spend some time on Oahu - the sites are on very unrealistic places and don't reflect reality (for instance, Honolulu Airport being the official reporting station).

You really need to live here to get a sense of the weather and not judge by weather reporting sites that don't take into account the Vog this weekend or wind speeds, etc.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:42 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You should spend some time on Oahu - the sites are on very unrealistic places and don't reflect reality (for instance, Honolulu Airport being the official reporting station).

You really need to live here to get a sense of the weather and not judge by weather reporting sites that don't take into account the Vog this weekend or wind speeds, etc.
That's right! It can be 82 degrees and sunny at the Airport at noon, with winds light and variable, clear skies, and, 12 hours later, be 74 degrees, winds gusting to 15 mph, with passing clouds, at Waimanalo!!!! It's a night and day difference.

Uuurrrppp, e kala mai i'au

Old 02-29-2016, 01:59 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
That's right! It can be 82 degrees and sunny at the Airport at noon, with winds light and variable, clear skies, and, 12 hours later, be 74 degrees, winds gusting to 15 mph, with passing clouds, at Waimanalo!!!! It's a night and day difference.

Uuurrrppp, e kala mai i'au
And viper's 88 degree reading in downtown compared to the airport's 81 degrees is likely the result of him parking near his Pinnacle building where the sun's rays bounce off Capitol Place's reflective windows significantly increasing the temperature. Everyone knows standing in the sun with a mirror reflecting the sun's rays on you will increase temperature. Downtown has reflective windows EVERYWHERE. So temperatures can vary wildly within just a few city blocks.

At least most people have enough common sense to not go off personal and anecdotal "evidence" of our weather to draw any kind of realistic conclusion.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:21 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Well, if you mean that I need to live "here" as Oahu, then you're right, I don't. However, I'm going on six years living in Na'alehu on the Big Island, so I do live "here" as in Hawaii.

Telizabeth was having trouble trying to figure out the differences in opinion regarding the weather in various places. I thought that it may be more useful for her to consult some weather reporting sites. Yes, the weather in my zip code may vary depending on elevation and time of day, but at least being able to look at some data should be useful.

My husband is part of a national organization called CoCoRahs. It is made up of local, every-day people in scattered locations who report 24-hour rainfall accumulations every morning at 7:00 a.m. It is another way to get some real-time weather information.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 PM

18 posts, read 28,245 times
You are correct that you will need to readjust your criteria for Oahu. I know you are not looking for an apartment but I thought I would go ahead and throw in my two cents. We moved here Sept 2015 and decided to try living in an apartment. We live near Moanalua Golf Course. It's nice and clean and even though there are several kids that live near us, it's relatively quiet. We rent a 2bd, 1ba for under $1700 month. No air conditioning but you get used to it. Nice elementary school right up our drive too. I drive to Diamond Head everyday for school and it usually takes about 15-20 get to the exit for UH Manoa. I always leave 1 hour before school and very rarely does it ever take me more than 40 minutes to get to Diamond Head. Also, if you are bringing your dog, start the quarantine process early on the mainland. That way when the time comes, you can bring your dog over with you or soon after. Good luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu