Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:03 PM

22 posts, read 32,982 times

Advertisements

My partner is going to start a job as a professor at the University this fall. His position will initially pay about 80-90k, (and could go up to 130k as he advances). We have two children, ages 4 and 6. We also have considerable debt. I do not have a job lined up, and depending on if we end up in an area that has good schools, I may homeschool our kids. If I don’t homeschool, then hopefully I’ll be able to bring in something too.

Obviously, our financial situation makes us poorly suited to live on your beautiful and insanely expensive island, but here’s the thing - it’s his dream job… the thing he has been working towards forever. So, we are going to try to make it work.

We are currently in the Pacific North West and we LOVE it here. I love the cool rainy weather, the beautiful rain forests and ocean and the wild space. My main concern is finding an area on Oahu that has a sense of wildness and space. I do not like living in big bustling cities. Since my partner will be at the university, it has to be within a reasonable commuting distance to Manoa (if not in Manoa…). A strong presence of nature in our neighbourhood is very important to us.

What do you recommend? I love the sound of Kailua, but am worried about the commute and the schools, and, of course, the price. Manoa would be convenient, but I worry it’s too urban and busy and cramped. I hear such mixed things about the school system and of private schools are out of the question.

I have not been to Hawaii since I was a little kid, so I am really flying blind here, and cannot afford to go for a visit to suss it out. Any thoughts about any of this would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank-you! Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 02:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
What is your housing budget - let's start with that.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:46 PM

It's hard to know what everything else will cost, but I think ideally 2500 max... but living in the right neighbourhood means a lot to us, and it looks like for a 3 bedroom anything in Kailua, it's 3,000 min. I'd rather start with the right place and try to make it work somehow rather than choosing based only on money. We are a young family and kids are noisy so a townhouse or condo isn't ideal (for our neighbours) but I doubt we could afford a single home.
I'd love to hear peoples descriptions of possible areas, and thoughts of schools would be great. (If paying more in rent for a good school catchment area means not homeschooling, and thus me being able to work, it's probably worth it.)

Old 02-25-2016, 03:06 PM

I'd cross off single family homes.

I'd try Kaneohe - or see if some of the town homes in Hawaii Kai fit the budget. Kailua and Manoa aren't going to be options. The commute gets much worse, but if those areas won't work I would explore Aiea.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the tips. From what I am reading, Hawaii Kai is more suburban feeling and homes have larger properties? I like that it's near the nature reserve.
If you live at the top of any of the communities that back onto the mountains, are there trails that you can access to hike in the mountains? (i.e. If we lived high up in Aiea, could we actually access the mountain?) Are there bike trails? Walking paths?
What do you think of these neighbourhoods?
We are "granola" types (hate that term!), but it sounds like all of Oahu is pretty granola-friendly...

Old 02-25-2016, 03:45 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
The back valleys of Kaimuki, or possibly Palolo. Manoa itself would work, although you'd not be able to find something there within that price bracket. Nuuanu back in the valleys?

Can you take a trip over there and look around? Otherwise, try Google Walking (Google Street View) the different areas.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:32 PM

I don't have time for the detailed questions but Hawaii Kai is a fairly upscale community - with the major difference to Kailua in terms of housing being Hawaii Kai has many more townhouses and condos - you might be able to afford a townhouse on Kawaihae St to rent....

Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 PM

I am seeing a number of decent looking (laminate floors, clean, updated) places in Kailua for rent for 3,000 ish, on craigslist... is this somehow false advertising or does that sound about right?
Reading more about Kawaii Kai, it sounds like it has some potential for us, (although it also is described as hot and dry, which we don't love.) There are more town homes etc. Thanks for the recommendation.
What's the difference in "vibe" between Palolo and Manoa? It sounds as if Palolo is a bit more affordable... why?
Thanks.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:36 PM

$3,000/month in Kailua will likely in some way be rough around the edges - you'd have to see it in person to see if you can deal with the issues.

Palolo is nothing like Manoa. Palolo is very unlikely to meet your budget unless it was extremely rough - the proximity to downtown makes it expensive not necessarily how nice (or not nice, although there are many remodels out of your price range).

Manoa is high end - think high end suburbia from the mainland - Main Street USA. Very expensive.

Hawaii Kai isn't more "hot" than most of the island which especially in the summer can be brutally hot. The past couple of years really require AC, so think $300-500+ electric bill.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:43 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,260,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
$3,000/month in Kailua will likely in some way be rough around the edges - you'd have to see it in person to see if you can deal with the issues.

Palolo is nothing like Manoa. Palolo is very unlikely to meet your budget unless it was extremely rough - the proximity to downtown makes it expensive not necessarily how nice (or not nice, although there are many remodels out of your price range).

Manoa is high end - think high end suburbia from the mainland - Main Street USA. Very expensive.

Hawaii Kai isn't more "hot" than most of the island which especially in the summer can be brutally hot. The past couple of years really require AC, so think $300-500+ electric bill.
Agree with the Elecric bill in summer. Especially last summer was a record breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu