Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,801 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Oahu. My wife and I are looking to purchase our first home. And as the title states, we cannot for the life of us figure out why people don't care for their homes.

Homes that are listed for a million plus and the owner can't be bothered to clean up the dirty laundry or dishes for the photos. Homes that the owners have not put a dime into for decades. Whole neighborhoods where pride of ownership seems to have never caught on. Even in "nice" neighborhoods.

Maybe I've never noticed because I wasn't in the market but, what's the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 02:42 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,115,115 times
As a local, you should know that people in Hawaii are a humble kind. Their properties may be worth a million+ but they often come from humble labor-based upbringings where having an overly nice home is seen as arrogant and obnoxious; they feel it's an insensitive display to those people that share their roots. They generally don't feel the need to keep up with the Joneses like every other person from every other place in the mainland with a high cost of living. It is one of the things that make Hawaii unique. And it would be a shame to see that change.

Outside of the cultural aspects, it's also very expensive to properly maintain a home and to maintain its original condition. High cost of labor and materials makes it impractical for many local families with middle class incomes to maintain their homes like they do in the mainland where labor and material comes at a much lower price point.

Last edited by pj737; 05-24-2016 at 02:51 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 05:34 AM

18,543 posts, read 18,797,913 times
Actually I think the opposite I come from what is seen by others as very humble beginnings and still live in the same area where I grew up... I dont like in a big or grand house and never will... but if someone was viewing my house it would be tidied to perfection and poorer people or as you say humble.... make more of an effort I think...but then I cant talk for the area involved, as I know nothing about the people

Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Just because someone is "humble" doesn't mean you have to be a slob.

Clean your dirty dishes and the junk that piled up in your garage.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:06 AM

48,578 posts, read 34,956,927 times
I've seen well-kept to cars in the yard kind in all neighborhoods.

I did a yard sale with a couple at their (est. 600K condo) and had to use their restroom. She was like "excuse the mess" and I walked in:

My "excuse the mess" means I haven't vacuumed or dusted that week.

Are whole area has HOA rules, and while it chafes every once in awhile, I remember it is for people who do not share the same views on house cleaning and maintenance.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-25-2016, 12:11 AM

18,543 posts, read 18,797,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Just because someone is "humble" doesn't mean you have to be a slob.

Clean your dirty dishes and the junk that piled up in your garage.
exactly.you can have a clean comfortable house without being obnoxious..

Old 05-25-2016, 11:59 AM

96 posts, read 113,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
They generally don't feel the need to keep up with the Joneses like every other person from every other place in the mainland with a high cost of living.
Ouch!!!!

Could it be that the abundance of opportunity to be outside and do things outside shifts some of the focus away from what is going on with the house? I know a number of people here on the mainland that clearly could not care less about the way they keep their homes. Two families that I am thinking of specifically have more interest in their horses and pets than a clean, well kept home. I should note that neither of these families have their house on the market, but I doubt it would make much difference. It's just how they are. There are only so many hours in each day to get things done. Since the COL in Hawaii is high, especially with respect to incomes, many people probably have fewer disposable hours to dedicate to "keeping up" with household tasks because they are busy working for money. Also, it's a choice. Some people just don't care. Some people get more satisfaction out of watching TV than they would out of cleaning their house.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 7,532 times
Or it could also be that with Hawaii's (especially Oahu's) super tight housing market, where lightening-fast sales with multiple offers, where even a "million" dollar home is basically listed just above median price, that sellers don't need to care so much about present-ability, because you no like, okay someone will be around later today with an over-full-asking-price offer!

Old 05-25-2016, 03:23 PM

102 posts, read 118,862 times
That's the point about living in Hawai'i. Things are suppose to be different then where your from. Different culture, different values. There seems to always be a group of people who fight this 100% and try to change it. It's like that new employee who has put little time into the organization but wants the same pay as those who have put more skin into the organization because of course there talents are so much more unique then others.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post
Things are suppose to be different then where your from. Different culture, different values. There seems to always be a group of people who fight this 100% and try to change it.
Being a slob or a hoarder (the TV show would have a field day in Hawaii) isn't exactly an endearing value to have in life.

42,000 Pounds Of Trash Removed From Hawaii Home

New law targeting hoarders not enforced in Kaimuki - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

What to do about a hoarding neighbor - Honolulu Magazine - September 2013 - Hawaii

Kaneohe family's disturbing home perfect for the 'Hoarders' TV show | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: