Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 04:38 PM

5 posts, read 5,257 times

Advertisements

I live in Hawaii. Tenant wants to move out 4 months after signed a year lease. The lease said if the tenant moves out before the lease expires, the tenant is responsible for all rent for rest of the period.

Termination fee is not listed on the lease. can landlord charge the tenant for 2-3months rent as the termination fee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,974,188 times
Well - it isn't as simple as the tenant is responsible for all the rent for the rest of the period. Nor can you just charge a termination fee unless you negotiated that with the tenant.

In Hawaii - the landlord must make reasonable efforts to rent the property - and since you are posting on Oahu, a Judge isn't going to let you collect a bunch of rent for an empty unit since the market is so tight. When the tenant said they wanted to break the lease - you have an obligation to start advertising and trying to get a new tenant immediately. The tenant is responsible for the rent for the time for you to find a new tenant - so, if a tenant in July says they want out in September, it is unlikely a court would give you any rent since you should've been able to find a tenant by then. If the new rent is less than what the new tenant is paying - you are entitled from the old tenant the difference for the balance of the original lease term (8 months left on lease, old tenant paying $3,000 new tenant pays $2,700 - you can collect $2,400 from the old tenant)

Read up on Haw. Rev. Stat. § 521-70(d))

Old 08-10-2016, 12:51 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,264,349 times
Is the tenant Military? Did he/she declare that. Sometimes the tenant is waiting for Military Housing. Just asking? Waiting for military housing is kinda hard, the housing office gives little warning time, when a house becomes available? Just saying, or giving out information.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:19 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,566,715 times
my .02 is to try to work things out amicably with the tenant. The courts tend to favor tenants over landlords in any case. They can make things a lot more difficult for you as a landlord. Let the tenant know your situation, then ask for 1/2 the security deposit, which is a reasonable compromise amount that'll give you some time to prep/list the unit once he's moved out.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - it isn't as simple as the tenant is responsible for all the rent for the rest of the period. Nor can you just charge a termination fee unless you negotiated that with the tenant.

In Hawaii - the landlord must make reasonable efforts to rent the property - and since you are posting on Oahu, a Judge isn't going to let you collect a bunch of rent for an empty unit since the market is so tight. When the tenant said they wanted to break the lease - you have an obligation to start advertising and trying to get a new tenant immediately. The tenant is responsible for the rent for the time for you to find a new tenant - so, if a tenant in July says they want out in September, it is unlikely a court would give you any rent since you should've been able to find a tenant by then. If the new rent is less than what the new tenant is paying - you are entitled from the old tenant the difference for the balance of the original lease term (8 months left on lease, old tenant paying $3,000 new tenant pays $2,700 - you can collect $2,400 from the old tenant)

Read up on Haw. Rev. Stat. § 521-70(d))

forgot to mentioned, didn't receive a written notice from tenant yet and was thinking about asking 2 month rent and termination fee, is this legal? should I ask for a written notice or send him my lease termination agreement. won't be able to show the room for rerenting due to condition of the room. just want to do things legal way...

Last edited by JJAM; 08-10-2016 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 03:52 PM

Default tenant is not in the military

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Is the tenant Military? Did he/she declare that. Sometimes the tenant is waiting for Military Housing. Just asking? Waiting for military housing is kinda hard, the housing office gives little warning time, when a house becomes available? Just saying, or giving out information.

not military, and tenant texted me but no written notice of breaking the lease yet... I was going to ask my tenant to pay 2 months rent as the termination fee for breaking the lease. won't be able to show the room to the future tenant due the condition of room( seems like tenant never cleans the room)

Old 08-10-2016, 04:09 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,566,715 times
^

Is the cleaning going to be an issue? I thought if they don't clean it up to a certain standard, you can hire a professional to clean, and it'll just get deducted out of their security deposit?

2 months seems excessive to me. Also, it's going to be a lot tougher to get a tenant to fork over more than the security deposit he paid in the first place.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
^

Is the cleaning going to be an issue? I thought if they don't clean it up to a certain standard, you can hire a professional to clean, and it'll just get deducted out of their security deposit?

2 months seems excessive to me. Also, it's going to be a lot tougher to get a tenant to fork over more than the security deposit he paid in the first place.

can I hire someone to clean up the house while the tenant is living there? if I don't ask for termination fee, I have to try to find a tenant to move in right after current tenant moves but the house is so messy won't be able to show anyone..

also, I haven't received that written notice from tenant so I can't advertise it yet. should I ask for a written notice first? or just state on the lease termination agreement? also is Tenant give 30 days notice to landlord or 45 days in Hawaii? do you know?

Old 08-10-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAM View Post
forgot to mentioned, didn't receive a written notice from tenant yet and was thinking about asking 2 month rent and termination fee, is this legal?

should I ask for a written notice or send him my lease termination agreement. won't be able to show the room for rerenting due to condition of the room. just want to do things legal way...

You can ask for a 2 month rent/termination fee - but the tenant would have to agree and I don't see why they would.

You should ask for written notice. If he doesn't there isn't much you can do in the meantime. He also could just abandon the property - in which case you have the security deposit and you'd have to hunt him down and take him to court for rent due for the time you don't have a tenant.

Once you have written notice - you can show the property regardless of condition. You'll want to have pictures and if it can't get rented, have documentation of your good faith effort to rent it but couldn't because of condition.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAM View Post
can I hire someone to clean up the house while the tenant is living there? if I don't ask for termination fee, I have to try to find a tenant to move in right after current tenant moves but the house is so messy won't be able to show anyone..

also, I haven't received that written notice from tenant so I can't advertise it yet. should I ask for a written notice first? or just state on the lease termination agreement? also is Tenant give 30 days notice to landlord or 45 days in Hawaii? do you know?

You can't hire someone to clean the house without the tenants permission.

You need written notice to start advertising the unit if there is several months left on the lease.

The tenant doesn't have to give you any notice except for month to month leases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu