Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:37 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,118,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
As I watch the local news right now at 5:10am it's already a 45 minute commute to downtown with no accidents - they are blaming of all things - rain.
Shouldn't be surprising. Rain reduces visibility, increases braking distance, can produce ponding that may result in hazardous hydroplaning, etc etc. If you've ever seen the glare off a wet road when the sun comes in straight at your face (early morning commuters coming from the west side often deal with this)... it can make visibility of lane markers almost impossible. Rain (and wet roads in general) reduces driving speeds on both freeways and urban surface streets. Slowing down when it rains or when roads are slick is a completely normal and expected human reaction.

And you have to consider that many people that would normally (on a pleasant day) catch a bus, ride a bike or walk to work may elect to stay protected from the elements all the way to work in their vehicles. These additional "rainy day" commuters add to our already at capacity "sunny day" roads.

Before I moved into town, I used to leave 10 mins earlier if it was raining. But often times, it wasn't enough.

Last edited by pj737; 11-30-2016 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 01:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,975,901 times
It's not exactly sunny at 5:10am

Old 11-30-2016, 02:30 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,118,323 times
Quote:
It's not exactly sunny at 5:10am
Wet roads can mask the ability to see lane markers in the dark as well (from glare off street lights, oncoming headlights, etc). In fact, people drive even slower/more cautious when it's raining AND dark than if it's raining in the day time.

Elderly people drive very cautiously (i.e. slower) when it rains day or night. And they should. Their vision makes it difficult to see; their slower reaction time (mental and physical) increases anxiety and confidence in higher speeds - so they, by function of human nature, slow down. A tiny percentage of these drivers on the road will bring the overall flow of traffic to their comfortable pace.

A lot of people get frustrated when people drive slow when it rains despite the logic, rationale and good reasoning behind it. I just chock it up to people being selfishly more concerned about saving a few minutes on their commute vs providing a safer driving environment for those that may not have the same visual acuity and mental/physical processing/reaction time as they do.

You know the saying...

Slow down (even more when it's raining), this ain't the mainland.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,376,172 times
(late to the party as usual) We spent a year there and loved it. We brought 2 dogs (direct release) a teenager (disaster-not my kid-ugh) and paid our own way. Anyway, I say go for it.

I'll say this FOR MOST OF US, there's a reason it's a vacation destination. I wouldn't want to live there forever because there are terrain features and seasonal changes that I missed so badly while there. I do love Hawaii and look forward to visiting. (I think Kauai would be better for me - there's snow there! )

Old 11-30-2016, 05:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,975,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
(I think Kauai would be better for me - there's snow there! )
Huh? Snow on Kauai?

Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,376,172 times
Quote:
Huh? Snow on Kauai?
The guys who were working up on the hill where the antennas were said they've seen it come down but it melts before it hits the ground. I'm sure it's not typical.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:47 PM

242 posts, read 392,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The guys who were working up on the hill where the antennas were said they've seen it come down but it melts before it hits the ground. I'm sure it's not typical.
At ~5,000ft, Kawaikini Peak is not high enough to permit snow to fall. Snow occasionally falls on Haleakala and more frequently on Mauna Kea / Mauna Loa

Mauna Kea Weather Center - MK Web Cameras

Old 12-10-2016, 09:22 PM

26 posts, read 31,774 times
So what's the verdict? Are you going for it?

Old 12-15-2016, 01:07 AM

28 posts, read 33,576 times
Disclaimer: I didn't read the 12 pages of replies.

We are finishing up our first year here (of 3) and I am just now feeling settled; same goes for my kids. We move around a lot (work related) and without fail, it always takes a year to get grounded in a new place. I would never do it, especially to my kids, for just a year. Just my .02.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:58 AM

10 posts, read 12,358 times
If all goes as planned, we will go in June after the kids finish their school year. There's always a chance the contract that was put out by my husbands employer will fall through if they find someone else for that position. Of course I'm nervous as I realize it will be difficult but I have found a lot things worth doing have been difficult at times. I appreciate all of the feedback I received here, thanks for taking the time to respond. We are looking forward to the adventure ahead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: