Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 08:55 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
How about retirees, especially if they have enough money saved, and don't have chronic medical issues?
My assumption since I've not seen firm data is they probably stick it out later than working adults. I'd guess the awful/lack of available healthcare here is the main driver sending them back once they have the inevitable health issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 AM

6,386 posts, read 4,847,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
My assumption since I've not seen firm data is they probably stick it out later than working adults. I'd guess the awful/lack of available healthcare here is the main driver sending them back once they have the inevitable health issues.
Several of my part-time neighbors have cited this as the reason they don't live here full-time. Some prefer to live near family. For a few, this is one of 3 (or more) homes and they divide their time between them. Many of these people bought 20+ years ago and are reaping large amount of revenue by having their places in rental programs much of the year.
If I ever leave, the lack of good healthcare will probably be the reason.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,465 times
Quote:
A more realistic number based on HR numbers I've seen is: about 50% leave in a year when the lease is up. Nearly all the rest leave by year 2 - about 10% stay beyond 2 years. This is for working adults - not retirees.
that's crazy! even your "conservative" figures (compared to bob's) is high. I had no idea the move to Hawaii success rate was so low.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:35 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
that's crazy! even your "conservative" figures (compared to bob's) is high. I had no idea the move to Hawaii success rate was so low.
I think what you are not considering is the astronomical number of people that come each day. If the success rate was high the population would be exploding.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:33 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,465 times
^

That is a good point.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:44 PM

Oahu has some of the lowest population growth rates in the United States and actually lost residents from 1995-2000. If births didn't exceed deaths on Oahu by a fairly substantial amount you'd see a fairly decent population decline ongoing.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:30 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
I think what you are not considering is the astronomical number of people that come each day. If the success rate was high the population would be exploding.
Yes, and the overwhelming majority of that astronomical number of people are tourists, not people moving here with the intent of permanent or long-term residency. The numbers being thrown around here (e.g. 97-99 out of 100 leave within a year) are beyond misleading.

I would find it hard to believe if even 50% of those people that move here with the actual intent to stay here long-term end up packing their bags and getting on a plane before 12 months has lapsed simply because things didn't work out the way they thought they would. I interview and hire people on a bi-weekly basis (many are newcomers from the mainland); the retention rate is well over 80% for the first year as an average... and we are in a fairly volatile/unstable industry.

Perhaps you and Viper are (incorrectly) talking about people that never intended to stay here long term... those come and go as scheduled and as initially desired. Their intent was never to stay here too long... but to enjoy the "experience".

Old 10-24-2016, 02:43 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:

Most studies consistently put Hawaii in the top quarter percentile... and that includes the outer islands (which has exceptionally poor access to quality healthcare when compared to Oahu).

This one actually puts Honolulu at the very top of the list.

The Commonwealth Fund Scorecard on Local Health System Performance, 2016 Edition

I can't speak for the outer islands... but there is a tremendous amount of private money being invested into modernizing Honolulu's health care system; that massive cash injection will continue for the next decade or so.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:25 PM

Did you even read the article? It has nothing to do about the quality of care in Hawaii and it's all about access.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:58 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,981,058 times
I don't live in Hawaii so take my story with a grain of salt but I, my brother and my sister were almost the exact same ages as your children when my father and mother decided to move us from Toronto to the Yukon. As kids we were not 'that' enthusiastic at first but I can tell you it changed all our lives (I think for the better) forever. I will be forever grateful my parents did that for us (well, they did it for all of us .. my father was offered a job up there of course but my parents had a blast there too).

That was at least as drastic as the move you say you may make - to a much worse climate. And we didn't have the internet back then either. Actually I would view the internet as possibly a drawback since it may make them more homesick than not to be able to talk to their friends 'back home' every day and not just get out and enjoy what is surrounding them now.

My husband and I had an opportunity to move to Sao Paulo Brazil for a year when my daughter was 8 - and he chickened out. I regret that we didn't go.

I wonder why you are going to homeschool your kids while you are in Hawaii. I think it is a great thing for kids to have to adjust to a new place, a new school, a new set of friends - and with most kids that will make them far more flexible most likely for the rest of their lives - and in the future, I think that will probably make them more saleable to employers.

All that said though .. YOU have to be enthusiastic for the kids to look at a move like that as a grand adventure. Otherwise they will sense your reluctance and that will make it all much more difficult for everyone.

What does your husband want to do? You say it is 'your' decision - you didn't mention him.

Last edited by Aery11; 10-24-2016 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: