Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 04:42 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Did you even read the article? It has nothing to do about the quality of care in Hawaii and it's all about access.
Of course I read it. I know it's a long article, but you should at least try to get past the first paragraph -

"In comparing health care access, quality, avoidable hospital use, costs of care, and health outcomes..."

"Using the most recent data available, the Scorecard ranks 306 regional health care markets known as “hospital referral regions” on four main dimensions of performance encompassing 36 measures. Top-ranked regions in Hawaii, the Upper Midwest, New England, and the San Francisco Bay area have been performance leaders over time, and they offer achievable improvement benchmarks for policymakers, health system leaders, and community stakeholders."

Despite the fact that this study clearly considers other aspects outside of access, I would think most people (particularly those that live in rural Oahu or any of the outer islands) would say access to ANY healthcare (regardless of cost or quality) is by far the biggest problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 03:34 PM

70 posts, read 98,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Moving back to where you originate from will NEVER be the same. You will have changed and things will looked differently after living on a tropical island for a year.
I think this is the whole point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoriah View Post
...i see so many people never leave this town for fear of the unknown, born here and die here, never experience anything else and they are close minded at times because of it.
I think you should go. I have friends who are travelling around the world for a whole year with a 14 year old and an 8 year old. They are all having the time of their lives. I know it's not quite the same thing, but I think it's good for kids to be able to adapt to new experiences like that. We moved to a different state when I was 10, and I think that because of that I've been more open to being mobile as an adult. I've lived in 4 different states and I've had treasured and unique experiences in each one.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:43 PM

10 posts, read 12,339 times
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate hearing from someone who has moved at that age. The reason we are homeschooling is because it's temporary and there are amazing programs online that take their learning outdoors. Im hoping it will spark something for them and be a fun thing to do together for a year. My son will join soccer there, my daughter will take an art class. We are not definite about homeschooling but there's a big network of people that do it now and there is social opportunity. My husband does want to go as he feels the same as I do and wants to see and experience Hawaii. I don't know if we would be able to get over there otherwise even to visit for a long time. When we talk to them about it we are enthusiastic, I'm just a worrier and I will worry myself out of things sometimes!

Old 10-25-2016, 10:57 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,690,061 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate hearing from someone who has moved at that age. The reason we are homeschooling is because it's temporary and there are amazing programs online that take their learning outdoors. Im hoping it will spark something for them and be a fun thing to do together for a year. My son will join soccer there, my daughter will take an art class. We are not definite about homeschooling but there's a big network of people that do it now and there is social opportunity. My husband does want to go as he feels the same as I do and wants to see and experience Hawaii. I don't know if we would be able to get over there otherwise even to visit for a long time. When we talk to them about it we are enthusiastic, I'm just a worrier and I will worry myself out of things sometimes!
Good luck to you. If you do decide to move to Hawaii, please report back and let us know how it worked out for you.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:42 AM

10 posts, read 12,339 times
Thanks so much and thank you everyone for your replies, they helped more than you know! I will do that if we end up moving! we are hoping to meet some people over there if we move, we don't know anyone!

Old 10-26-2016, 12:10 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,442,433 times
Quote:
The pay is the same as we are making here so no change with that
I would turn it down for that reason alone. You would not be able to live at the same level of lifestyle you might enjoy now.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:48 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,465 times
Quote:
Thanks so much and thank you everyone for your replies, they helped more than you know! I will do that if we end up moving! we are hoping to meet some people over there if we move, we don't know anyone!

Best of luck whichever you choose. If you choose not to go, no harm in taking a Hawaii vacation next summer as a "consolation".

Old 10-26-2016, 01:23 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,148,559 times
I know some families which either do home schooling, stay here briefly and leave (military family) and another coworker who actually live quite leisurely on the island but had to go back to Mainland because he needed to take care of his ailing parent.

All of them have decent jobs on the island. One family moved from Colorado and their employer paid them $8K for moving expense. For the family which did the home schooling, the parent mentioned that there are support groups on the island which parents take turn to lecture on the subjects that they are familiar with. Another military family sends their kid to private school.

But the duration of their stays lasted over one year even for the military family.

IMO the employer should provide moving expense (back and forth) which is about $10K x 2 from Maryland. The company should also offer COL allowance or outright rent subsidy. If your entire family stays in SFD in decent neighborhood like Waikele, the rent is above $3K/month.

And if the kids attend private school, see if your husband can get any tuition subsidy from employer. But time is short. It almost approaches the deadline for Fall Admission in 2017. And usually private schools don't admit student during Spring Semester.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:57 PM

757 posts, read 840,816 times
What happens if the company lays your husband off while in HI? If there is no additional money involved then I would be suspicious given the cost of living.

Husband does what military families do all the time. Goes on a "short tour" for a year. It will test a marriage to be sure but it is the least disruptive for everyone. It will past quickly and no one will be shooting at him. How good is that?

For children your ages, this is not an adventure but a potential disaster.

Give the dog a break and stay put.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,513,045 times
We moved FROM Hawai'i (where the kids had lived virtually all of their lives) to the mainland when my kids were 9, 10, and 12. It was a difficult move to my daughter. It was quite an adjustment. We've also done the "dad and mom live apart for work reasons for a year" thing twice. One time was when I moved with the kids to the mainland and my husband stayed in Hawai'i for a year to make more money. If the pay isn't going up and you don't live in nearly as expensive of a place now, that'll be a rough transition for a family to live on that pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: