Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 05:04 PM

293 posts, read 361,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm sure there are some - any intellectual homeschooled people we should know about the past 10 years. Anywhere in US.
Just for info. My sister raised her three daughter in a small town in N. Calif. by home schooling them until they were ready for college. One of them became a history teacher, the other two became RN's with great jobs, and one of those RN's went on to be a PA and to teach RN's in college at Vanderbilt in TN. These three girls did quite well from home schooling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 05:35 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
For certain things, medical facilities on the mainland are better, just like how for most things, medical facilities are better on Oahu than on neighbor islands. it's simple economies of scale.

If 0.1% of a population of 100,000 has a certain disease (neighbor islands), the facilities available to treat that disease isn't going to be as good as oahu with a population 1,000,000. Oahu isn't as good as a state with 10,000,000 or 20,000,000 people.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:45 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,569 times
Quote:
I wonder how the woman who just died from Hep A from Genki Sushi waiting on a liver transplant would've done
So you are saying she passed away due to both substandard medical treatment and that alternative adequate treatment wasn't available anywhere else on Oahu?

Every post-treatment death on Oahu is directly correlated to our purported (by you) substandard healthcare?

That woman died of other complications that were likely exacerbated by the illness but did not die of acute hepatitis liver failure.

That broad brush of yours is getting wider by the day.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
So you are saying she passed away due to both substandard medical treatment and that alternative adequate treatment wasn't available anywhere else on Oahu?

Every post-treatment death on Oahu is directly correlated to our purported (by you) substandard healthcare?

That woman died of other complications that were likely exacerbated by the illness but did not die of acute hepatitis liver failure.

That broad brush of yours is getting wider by the day.
Interesting.

I believe I said I wonder how she would've done. The statements in your quote don't exactly match up with what I said.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:02 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,569 times
Quote:
Interesting.

I believe I said I wonder how she would've done. The statements in your quote don't exactly match up with what I said.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:27 PM

10 posts, read 12,326 times
Thanks for your reply, I know moving them will have so many challenges but I'm grateful to have an opportunity like this. I feel like even if my kids, mainly my daughter, my boys are pretty stoked but they are young, doesn't 't appreciate it now maybe it will take into even her twenties for her to appreciate the perspective it will give her. I just want them to understand how big this world is, not just just one small town where everyone knows each other and everything feels the same all the time. We love our dog but we have some friends who have volunteered to sit for a year, we haven't decided what we will do as we are looking at next spring.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:53 AM

26 posts, read 31,660 times
Please take your dog! Your kids will feel like they're missing a sibling

Old 11-05-2016, 12:43 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,504 times
Leave the daughter and take the dog. I still don't see any upside for the family. I don't think the daughter is going to benefit from seeing a Hawaii McDonalds and a Hawaii Target and a Hawaii Walmart. I went to 4 different high schools and it was probably not the best thing that could have happened to me. I think it would be harder for a girl at that age. Consistency can be boring but probably not harmful.

What are the logistics? Are you selling property and shipping everything here or storing stuff there? Seems like a lot of STRESS for little benefit.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:29 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Leave the daughter and take the dog. I still don't see any upside for the family. I don't think the daughter is going to benefit from seeing a Hawaii McDonalds and a Hawaii Target and a Hawaii Walmart. I went to 4 different high schools and it was probably not the best thing that could have happened to me. I think it would be harder for a girl at that age. Consistency can be boring but probably not harmful.

What are the logistics? Are you selling property and shipping everything here or storing stuff there? Seems like a lot of STRESS for little benefit.
why would you let a 12 year old determine what the family is going to do? not many families would leave their 12 year old behind. as you know there is more to Hawaii than McDonalds and Target. millions of children's families are in the armed forces, these kids move every few years. travel and seeing how other people live is a huge education and privilege. what a small world it would be if you stayed in one spot for 60 years.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:08 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
why would you let a 12 year old determine what the family is going to do? not many families would leave their 12 year old behind. as you know there is more to Hawaii than McDonalds and Target. millions of children's families are in the armed forces, these kids move every few years. travel and seeing how other people live is a huge education and privilege. what a small world it would be if you stayed in one spot for 60 years.
I'm not suggesting the child make the decision. I know of families that move out of area permanently that leave children behind to finish the last year of school so as to not be so disruptive to the child. This is a temporary move. I don't see any advantage to anyone in the family for this limited move based on the little information given. I wonder if there would be the same interest in the same move to Mobile Alabama.

Last edited by honobob; 11-05-2016 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: