Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 12:32 PM

10 posts, read 12,392 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I could use some advice as this decision has been weighing on me. My husbands employer has asked us to relocate to Oahu area for a year with our 3 kids. They would pay for moving expenses and help us find a rental, we also have a dog!. Our kids are 12, 9 and 5. Our oldest does not want to leave her friends, she will be in eighth grade the year we are there and I'm planning on doing a year of homeschool/ online schooling with her and my 9 year and send our 5 year old to kindergarten. We are all scared of the
Unknown but I can't help but think this could be an amazing experience that will shape the people they become. But what if it isn't and we are in for a very difficult year? I have only researched Hawaii but I know people who have lived there and they loved it. But they didn't have kids. I'm constantly flip flopping my decision and would love to hear another opinion. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 01:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times
My crystal ball says it might be a complete disaster or it might go great or somewhere in between. My opinion. It seems highly disruptive for the kids unless the employer is making you go

Old 10-19-2016, 02:25 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,573,214 times
is there a substantial pay increase associated it with? why not make a list with the pros and cons of both and evaluate it?

Old 10-19-2016, 03:41 PM

4,421 posts, read 3,506,642 times
It's only a year, so it could be viewed as an adventure-- if it's fun, great, and if it's not, then you just count down the months until it's time to return where you came from (assuming you'll return to the same city?) It could be a great experience for the kids.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:58 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,476,459 times
You do know about the strict quarantine laws for animals? I believe its 6 months. The islands do this to prevent the introduction of rabies. Not only is it a long time to be separated, it can also be quite expensive if you elect for a private boarding kennel.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:37 PM

294 posts, read 221,464 times
There is no need to quarantine your dog if you get your vet to follow the direct release protocol and can prove by lab blood test that your dog has adequate rabies antibodies. Many pages of documentation that must be filled out exactly as required, and a few hundred dollars. Don't put your animal in quarantine if you can help it, the stories are not very encouraging.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:56 PM

6,402 posts, read 4,887,038 times
At the end of the year you will be begging to stay another year.
I moved here to try out retirement for a year. By the end of the year I had decided to stay a second year. Now I plan to stay indefinitely. Love it here in Maui!
BTW: I work at a local public high school. It is by far the best place I've ever worked. The kids are really great and treat each other and the teachers very well.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:53 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times
Well, if it's just for a year and they will be going back to the same location as before, then it could be a massive adventure and what with the internet and all, they'd be able to stay friends with the folks they left behind. When they got back, they'd be seen as adventuresome types, so that could be good.

What happens if you say 'no'? Will you forever be thinking 'what if'?

Old 10-19-2016, 06:32 PM

10 posts, read 12,392 times
Thanks so much for your honest answers, I loved everything you all said and totally agree. I'm aware of the dog situation there and it may make rentals harder to come by too. The pay is the same as we are making here so no change with that, just an opportunity that I can't seem to decide on. Thanks for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:21 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,573,214 times
IDK, for me personally, I tend to be more conservative (as opposed to adventurous). it would be a bit much to uproot my entire life for a year, move out of my home, sell or ship everything to Hawaii. Move into a house there, enroll in school, adjust to living in Hawaii. Then 1 year later uproot my family again to move back. Then adjust to the move back. I personally think at least 5 years is a better timeframe than a single year.

To get me to take the job, for 1 year, I'd expect a sizeable pay increase. I wouldn't relocate my family. Instead I'd work in the job for that year and have a long distance relationship with my family, coming back for major holidays, etc. Then move back home afterwards.

If I wanted the family to have an "Hawaii experience", I'd take them on a 2 week vacation instead. Experience the best that Hawaii has to offer without needing to uproot our lives over it.

Last edited by rya96797; 10-19-2016 at 07:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: