Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,228,006 times

Advertisements

When my daughter checked out college there they had to clear out of the dorms for holidays and summer of course. Coming from Minnesota that just wouldn't work, can't fly back home four times a year or go to a vacation rental. Check out if they still do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:10 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,465 times
^

They do, but mainlanders can put their stuff in storage over winter break I believe. There's summer term that you can stay in the dorms.

But yeah, ideally your friend will have a house or something and they can shack up in for 2 weeks or so over break. I dont know why they don't allow you to stay in the dorms (assuming you'll have the same room the next semester) for a fee.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
How so? Granted, not UH, but I know several people in this same situation who had no issue at all at UCF. They convalidated some of their classes from their previous degree, and they had to take the nursing school required prerequisites, and that was that.
It really depends on the degrees in question and the school. You need to talk to a counselor. I think nursing may be one of the exceptions to the rule.

It's why when people graduate with a liberal arts degree and can't find a job, they come back as a MBA or MACC or enter law school or enter some other masters level program. Schools don't want professional students with 10 different bachelor degrees, and still unable to make up their mind. lol

Old 05-17-2017, 08:54 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple25 View Post
I am a 25 yr old, F, and I have a bachelor of Arts degree. I currently live in upstate NY, and I haven't been able to find any career jobs with my degree. I just ended an almost 6 yr relationship/engagement and I really need a change of pace and want to make my life an adventure while I am young. I am looking into going back to school for a Nursing degree and I want to move to Hawaii and attend college there. I have a lot of family in Oahu and have been to Hawaii when I was 16 year old for two months. (Long story short, my family tried moving there when I was 16, but my older siblings back in New York needed financial help, so my mom and us moved back to help them.)
I am looking into attending either the University of Hawaii at Manoa or the University of Hawaii at Maui. The out of state tuition costs at UH Manoa are quite high (30k/yr), and as a person looking to pursue a second bachelor's degree, I'm not sure how much financial/aid and loans I will qualify for. The UH at Maui offers an Associates degree in Nursing and the tuition is much less (7k/yr). I would like some suggestions or if anyone has any personal experiences living and/or going to school in Hawaii and which college they would recommend.
I am by no means rich, and I know that I will probably be struggling for a while before (hopefully) getting on my feet. Would an associates in Nursing still open up the same doors as a bachelors in Nursing would? I am also considering the fact that I may be very lonely starting out. I don't talk to my family (aunts/uncles/cousins) that lives in Oahu much and I would be going alone. I would most likely stay on or near campus to begin with. My mom would plan on coming out eventually as it is her dream to return to her birthplace. I feel such a connection to the ocean and I would be fine moving with a few possessions and living a simpler life for a while. I'm not sure if I should ship my car over or try to sell it, b/c I won't get what I owe on the auto loan. I know there's much to take into consideration.
I feel if I were to stay where I am, I know what it holds for me and that I should take a chance. I appreciate any insight and advice!
What was your major with your BA degree? What kind of job were you preparing to do with your college education? Does your major have a significant return on investment? Most majors have a very poor return on investment. Many people in college choose an easy or fun major, and end up working for Walmart or some other business that doesn't require a college education. Are there different parts of the county that has better job opportunities for your BA degree major?

If you want to educate yourself to become a RN, it would make more sense to find a college that is respected by hospitals and clinics that hire nurses. Are you sure that Universities in Hawaii are respected by the potential employers? The college you attend does not have to be the top of the line, but shouldn't be the bottom of the barrel either.

Hawaii may not be the best place to work as a nurse compared to other places. You might need to start thinking seriously what you want to get out of life. Do you want to improve your standard of living, and save for a financially secure retirement. Or, do you want to try to do whatever it takes to live in Hawaii, even if it means sacrificing your long term economic future and standard of living.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:49 AM

i'd hazard a guess that hawaii sounds fun and exotic. Having fun is #1 consideration, education and a reasonable standard of living is a distance #2 and #3

Old 05-18-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
i'd hazard a guess that hawaii sounds fun and exotic. Having fun is #1 consideration, education and a reasonable standard of living is a distance #2 and #3
That about sums it up! The low pay and high cost of living, plus the isolation factors and lousy healthcare are the downsides that cause the majority of people to give up on the idea after a year or two. If you can work remotely for a decent high income wage, or are retired and have boatloads of money, and can stand the isolation from friends and relatives, then maybe things will work out. Even if the move is initially successful, there are many things that can cause that dream to become a nightmare. You might lose the 'remote' job, you might discover that the education system is unacceptable, your need for good healthcare might increase, and the isolation factors might become a problem.

Maybe having a second or third home in Hawaii would work out, if you can prevent thieves and low-life's from robbing you blind. Or, rent a longer term vacation rental property.

Still, there are many people who don't have much money, don't have high paying job skills, and are attracted to the idea of living in Hawaii, and are willing to sacrifice their long term economic future and severely lower their standard of living for a temporary dream.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:49 AM

70 posts, read 98,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
How so? Granted, not UH, but I know several people in this same situation who had no issue at all at UCF. They convalidated some of their classes from their previous degree, and they had to take the nursing school required prerequisites, and that was that.
I inquired about the BSN program at San Diego State several years ago. SDSU does not accept students for bachelor's degree programs who have previous bachelor's degrees from any school.

I think it's a matter of resources. They already receive thousands more applications than they have openings.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:23 AM

96 posts, read 113,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple25 View Post
I am a 25 yr old, F, and I have a bachelor of Arts degree. I currently live in upstate NY, and I haven't been able to find any career jobs with my degree. I just ended an almost 6 yr relationship/engagement and I really need a change of pace and want to make my life an adventure while I am young. I am looking into going back to school for a Nursing degree and I want to move to Hawaii and attend college there. I have a lot of family in Oahu and have been to Hawaii when I was 16 year old for two months. (Long story short, my family tried moving there when I was 16, but my older siblings back in New York needed financial help, so my mom and us moved back to help them.)
I am looking into attending either the University of Hawaii at Manoa or the University of Hawaii at Maui. The out of state tuition costs at UH Manoa are quite high (30k/yr), and as a person looking to pursue a second bachelor's degree, I'm not sure how much financial/aid and loans I will qualify for. The UH at Maui offers an Associates degree in Nursing and the tuition is much less (7k/yr). I would like some suggestions or if anyone has any personal experiences living and/or going to school in Hawaii and which college they would recommend.
I am by no means rich, and I know that I will probably be struggling for a while before (hopefully) getting on my feet. Would an associates in Nursing still open up the same doors as a bachelors in Nursing would? I am also considering the fact that I may be very lonely starting out. I don't talk to my family (aunts/uncles/cousins) that lives in Oahu much and I would be going alone. I would most likely stay on or near campus to begin with. My mom would plan on coming out eventually as it is her dream to return to her birthplace. I feel such a connection to the ocean and I would be fine moving with a few possessions and living a simpler life for a while. I'm not sure if I should ship my car over or try to sell it, b/c I won't get what I owe on the auto loan. I know there's much to take into consideration.
I feel if I were to stay where I am, I know what it holds for me and that I should take a chance. I appreciate any insight and advice!
First of all, I don't see much justification in picking on your writing style/ability. What you are saying comes across just fine to me. People can be d!ck$, even here in Hawaii.

Now to the point. You should stay on the mainland. Hawaii is not a good place to get back on your feet after a life event. Life in Hawaii has all the same challenges of life on the mainland. I think being in Hawaii has some type of effect on peoples' happiness, but it isn't like what you are thinking. If you want to be a nurse, figure out the most economical place to go to achieve that goal, then you will be able to go where you want.

You asked for insight and advice.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongAndLow View Post
I inquired about the BSN program at San Diego State several years ago. SDSU does not accept students for bachelor's degree programs who have previous bachelor's degrees from any school.

I think it's a matter of resources. They already receive thousands more applications than they have openings.
Maybe you need to go to a different college in a different part of country where that's not an issue. The college needs to have enough respect by employers, not at the top, but absolutely not at the bottom of the barrel. I know a family where most of their children went to pharmacy college in Minnesota and became pharmacists. One of their children couldn't get accepted by the respected colleges in Minnesota where they live. Their child was accepted by a college on the east coast. Their child only moved to the east coast to attend college for the pharmacy degree. Once they get their degree, they will probably move back to Minnesota. The primary reason for becoming a pharmacist is because it's a high income job, although the potential income for pharmacists has decreased a bit in recent years due the glut of new pharmacists that are being cranked out by the colleges in recent years.

That family saves a lot of money. I think within about 20 years of their graduations all their children that became pharmasists will be living debt free, each with a net worth over a million dollars. They'll be set for life and would have the option to retire early, living a very comfortable lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: