Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 14,962 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Oahu soon and working at Tripler through the US Army. I am leaning towards Salt Lake. What can the community here tell me about it?

Is it nice? is it peaceful? Is there shopping nearby?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 04:32 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leturno View Post
I am going to be moving to Oahu soon and working at Tripler through the US Army. I am leaning towards Salt Lake. What can the community here tell me about it?

Is it nice? is it peaceful? Is there shopping nearby?

Thank you.
From a Realtor's listing of a condo in Salt Lake :
see photo at
http://pictures.hicentralmls.com/Med...r2528378-3.jpg

Salt Lake is a neighborhood of Honolulu on the island of Oahu. The area is also known as Āliamanu after a nearby crater, although Salt Lake itself is in a crater called Ālia pa‘akai — meaning "salt pond" in Hawaiian. The Salt Lake community was developed in the 1960 during the Hawai‘i construction boom, providing residents with an expansive view of downtown Honolulu. It is a community of high-rise condominiums, mid-rise town-dwellings, and houses snaking around the remnants of a now freshwater lake.

The Salt Lake community is built in the larger and easternmost of three overlapping, low profile, volcanic craters: Makalapa, Āliamanu and Āliapa‘akai. A lake, at one time 1.5 km across (20 ha) but very shallow, formed in the bowl of Āliapa‘akai fed by freshwater springs or possibly seawater seepages (Alexander, 1926 in Maciolek, 1982). Because the lake had no outlet, water loss was largely by evaporation, concentrating salts. Up until 1910, the lake was regularly so salty that salt deposits formed around the shore. This act and later construction of a larger drainage outlet, eventually removed the salt from Salt Lake.

The Estate of S.M. Damon sold a part of the original ahupua'a to commercial and residential developers in 1956. After statehood, the developers took part in an to establish Honolulu as one of the most modern of the cities in the US with Salt Lake as one of its highlights.

Salt Lake is almost surrounded by military installations. Nearby Fort Sharter is the headquarters of the United States Army Pacific. Hickam Air Force Base is headquarters of the United States Pacific Air Forces. Hickam Air Force Base is a United States Air Force base located in the city and county of Honolulu on the island of O'ahu, Hawai'i. Hickam AFB consists of 2,850 acres (12 km²) of land and facilities bordering Pearl Harbor, valued at more than $444 million.to the north of Salt Lake. Tripler Army Medical Center, visible on the heights to the northeast, is the principal U.S. military medical facility for Asia and the Pasific Basin

Hank

Old 03-31-2008, 01:17 AM

312 posts, read 1,639,278 times
IMO - it has it's extremes, both "ghetto" condos and luxury condos. I owned a "nice" condo there from 1999 - 2002, I sold it mostly due to the fact my vehicles were broken into 3 times and one was stolen - never recovered. My brother lived with me a for a year and his truck was also broken into.

If I was to live that area again, I'd be sure to pick one of the more expensive/nicer condo.

It is a good location, centrally located.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 PM

16 posts, read 100,565 times
I agreee with the person above me
one street is pretty ghetto
but the next street over is actually pretty nice
It is surrounded my military
there is a Salt Lake shopping center near by
and also Moanalua Shopping center sits near by
and so does the Navy Exchange. There are many schools in the area, Salt Lake elementary, Aliamanu Elementary/middle, Moanalua elementary/middle/highschool.
Id say that salt lake was kind of in the middle of everything because you can drive to downtown, or turn around and go to Aiea, I think its conveinent.
But there is crime..one time my sister said she saw a hooker!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:53 PM

25 posts, read 131,253 times
You should be able to find a nice place between Aiea, Pearl City and Salt Lake.

Are you eligible for any sort of base housing? Tripler's housing is so-so. They are remodeling a lot on AMR. Actus runs the privatized housing for the Army.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:38 PM

27 posts, read 190,616 times
Salt Lake is centrally located with easy access to many areas (downtown Honolulu, airport, Tripler, Aiea, Pearl City, etc.). It is crowded with condominiums, apartment buildings as well as residential homes. Most of the condos and apts are located in the main area near the local shopping center which has a gas station, Safeway, Longs Drugs and other small stores/restaurants. Like previous posts mention, the population ranges from low income to well-to-do and crime is definitely a problem there.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn260 View Post
But there is crime..one time my sister said she saw a hooker!
A HOOKER!!!! near a military base????? WHAT is this world coming to

Old 04-08-2008, 08:22 PM

25 posts, read 131,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
A HOOKER!!!! near a military base????? WHAT is this world coming to
too darn funny!

Old 04-21-2008, 03:48 PM

16 posts, read 100,565 times
no no she saw the hooker on a street in salt lake and not in the military bases.
hahaha
no way would "securitas" (military security in Halsey Terrace) allow a hooker!

also more about crime, my aunty had her house broken into twice, but i believe that its because she doesnt have a dog, about everyone on my street has a dog, and take into consideration that this is not on military base.
but all and all, its safe for a child here as long as they use common sense and dont get into someones van for some candy...also i dont think they should be walking around at night by themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: