Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 09:23 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,131,931 times

Advertisements

IMO both bills are not quite enforceable.

Now the City can cite the owner by: (1) the inspectors talk with these tourists who rent these illegal vacation rental units and have they admit to the inspectors that they are renting the unit for less than 30 days; (2) Use those advertisements on Airbnb as evidence for citation.

But:
(1) The City does not have enough inspectors to monitor thousands of illegal vacation rentals;
(2) The renters are usually instructed by the agents to say they are friends of the owner who let them stay free. The inspector cannot coerce them to tell the truth.
(3) Many units are not even advertised on English language websites. They advertise in websites in Japan, Korea and China. The advertisements are written in foreign languages. The tourists pay in advance to the local agents in Japan, Korea and China. Everything is settled even before they step foot on Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 09:37 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,131,931 times
Of course not all tourists who rent illegal vacation rental are cheapskates. In 1990s, some houses in North Shore were already rented for over $500/night. The customers were principally European surfers.

Of course, there are many cheapskates. I mentioned there is a house in Kaimuki which charged $20 bed/night. There are 3 rooms and each room has 3 bunker beds. So each night the owner can collect $360 if fully rented and he can gross over $10,000/month. Most of the Monster Houses recently built cater to these needs.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:05 PM

126 posts, read 92,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
I have 2 regular rentals, both rented out by couples long term, one is 4 years, the other might be 6-7 years. I thought about the short term rental thing (very) briefly, years ago before it blew up this year. I rejected converting them on principal, even though I'd make a lot more money. Illegal tvu is not pono. You literally are profiting at the expense of the rest of the community.

I remember some illegal rental supporters saying that they have no negative affect on hawaii's housing issue. OREALLY? So if myself and tons of other landlords converted to tvu and kicked out the tenants, that's not going to have a negative effect on them?
Principal schmincipal. If your 2 rentals are zoned resort hotel you be missing out on a lot of money. You want to actually help the community. Make three times the money, donate the incremental Excess to a homeless charity.

Dave Ramsey Says if you want to make a difference make money then donate it. Principal doesn't get you very far.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:16 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,538,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeers McGee View Post
Principal schmincipal. If your 2 rentals are zoned resort hotel you be missing out on a lot of money. You want to actually help the community. Make three times the money, donate the incremental Excess to a homeless charity.

Dave Ramsey Says if you want to make a difference make money then donate it. Principal doesn't get you very far.
it obviously is not only principal based, as it was and still is illegal to rent tvus in non resort zoned areas. Perhaps I may have felt differently if it was generally accepted and legal to do so in residential areas, but it is not.

it's the same reason why the average person doesn't attempt to catch and pimp out little children they see walking home from school. It is both morally and legally wrong. And justifying your actions by "donating the incremental excess to a homeless charity" doesn't make it any less wrong. People with illegal rentals attempt to justify their actions by calling it “home sharing", much as a pimp would claim that you're not selling keikis, and instead "renting their bodies temporarily". I suppose whatever helps you sleep at night, but it's no less delusional.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:31 AM

When is High season n when is low season in Waikiki. Unlike Vegas rates don't vary much as far as I can tell. Vegas can command $300 one day n $70 the next day. Feb n Dec being horrible rate months.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:45 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,738,627 times
Quote:
When is High season n when is low season in Waikiki.
One can make a case there is no longer a high and low season in Waikiki these past few years. Hotels are running 90%+ occupancy all year round.....

Traditionally, high season (most visitors) is June, July, August - and essentially any long holiday weekend (Presidents Day, Xmas, NYE, Thanksgiving, etc) and Spring Break.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:50 PM

I thought no way Alohilani would make it after the insane price recently paid for it. Boy was I wrong. After Reno they raised rates significantly. Occupancy must be good.

My lower priced STR went live recently and is getting good action.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:36 PM

CongratulatioNs to whomever paid $190,000 for Palms Waikiki studio recently. Had to be the steal of the month.

STR legal.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:15 AM

959 posts, read 1,202,581 times
Quote:
CongratulatioNs to whomever paid $190,000 for Palms Waikiki studio recently. Had to be the steal of the month.

STR legal.
It was listed for $199,000 and took 250 days to sell. So maybe the market doesn’t see the same value. I suspect that building can be a tough sell because the units are so small with no kitchen. So I think those sales need to be cash only, no financing... but I could be wrong on that point.

I don’t know Jeers, I see a lot of units in that building looking for renters at $80/night on Airbnb.

Personally, I prefer the larger units with full kitchens in buildings like Waikiki Banyan, Waikiki Sunset or The Ilikai. But maybe these Palms units are ok. I just suspect if you can really make so much money vacation renting them (as you suggested earlier) then they would be selling higher and it wouldn’t take 250 days to sell one at a $199,000 list price. But of course, I could be wrong.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:02 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,538,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
It was listed for $199,000 and took 250 days to sell. So maybe the market doesn’t see the same value. I suspect that building can be a tough sell because the units are so small with no kitchen. So I think those sales need to be cash only, no financing... but I could be wrong on that point.

I don’t know Jeers, I see a lot of units in that building looking for renters at $80/night on Airbnb.

Personally, I prefer the larger units with full kitchens in buildings like Waikiki Banyan, Waikiki Sunset or The Ilikai. But maybe these Palms units are ok. I just suspect if you can really make so much money vacation renting them (as you suggested earlier) then they would be selling higher and it wouldn’t take 250 days to sell one at a $199,000 list price. But of course, I could be wrong.
Another possible counterviewpoint is that with the new vacation rental law taking effect, perhaps legal resort zoned rentals in waikiki is now the a more lucrative play, and will boost demand. So possible Jeers is right, and maybe that's why it (finally) sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu