Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 07:42 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

La Mer is five star, isn't it? Alan Wong's is five star, too, I think.

Does Duke's do dinners? It's another beach front ambiance drinking sorta place, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
La Mer is five star, isn't it? Alan Wong's is five star, too, I think.

Does Duke's do dinners? It's another beach front ambiance drinking sorta place, though.
Duke's does formal dinner service and a separate more informal menu at the bar. The wait is usually long at Duke's. I wouldn't recommend it for Steak but rather Fish.

There are no formal restaurant ratings in Honolulu. If Michelin inspectors came to Hawaii - I'd certainly expect La Mer to try to get a star, as well as Vintage Cave, Maru Sushi, Alan Wong's, Chef Mavro - I'm not sure any others could get there.

La Mer is an outstanding restaurant - with exactly one type of steak on the menu, the Tomahawk for $175. It is very formal - very quiet - great service - and will do a lot of damage to your credit card.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:08 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Basalt on Waikiki Beach. Its not specifically a Steak House, but I am sure they have some Wagyu or some really good steak nonetheless.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Basalt on Waikiki Beach. Its not specifically a Steak House, but I am sure they have some Wagyu or some really good steak nonetheless.
Not good. Avoid.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:20 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
What's the name of the Japanese steak house as you come into Waikiki? Benihana's? Did that get taken down by one of Hilton's new towers? That's kinda chop steak and entertainment at the same time, sorta, isn't it? Probably chopchop steak, though.

Does Halekalani's restaurant do steaks very well? House Without A Key, isn't it? We used to get the leftovers from their buffet at a restaurant across the street. I forget the name of that at the moment, it's probably not there anymore but it was inexpensive and really good. Not on the beach, not much ambiance, but the food was great.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What's the name of the Japanese steak house as you come into Waikiki? Benihana's? Did that get taken down by one of Hilton's new towers? That's kinda chop steak and entertainment at the same time, sorta, isn't it? Probably chopchop steak, though.

Does Halekalani's restaurant do steaks very well? House Without A Key, isn't it? We used to get the leftovers from their buffet at a restaurant across the street. I forget the name of that at the moment, it's probably not there anymore but it was inexpensive and really good. Not on the beach, not much ambiance, but the food was great.
Benihana's is gone - replaced by another Teppanyaki place on the same property.

La Mer and House Without a Key are both at the Halekalani - both have great food - and both will do significant damage to your credit card. I don't know what place you went to across the street from the Halekalani - Denny's has been there a long time - Roy's is also across the street which replaced a dive bar called the Longboard Bar

Old 07-19-2019, 12:46 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I haven't lived there in years but stiil remember Hy's for good steaks.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:15 PM

406 posts, read 865,445 times
Last visit to Hawaii I really enjoyed Top of Waikiki and Dukes Canoe Club.

Mickey

Old 07-19-2019, 01:33 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Not good. Avoid.
You dont like Basalt? They have really good charcoal pasta. I did not know you can eat charcoal.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:26 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,480 times
Hy’s Tomahawk is amazing, but also $180.

My current favorite Steak is still Morton’s at Ala Moana Mall (price to value).

Trying Signature Prime Steak and Seafood tomorrow, so will respond if my opinion changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu