Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 04:38 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Benihana's is gone - replaced by another Teppanyaki place on the same property.

La Mer and House Without a Key are both at the Halekalani - both have great food - and both will do significant damage to your credit card. I don't know what place you went to across the street from the Halekalani - Denny's has been there a long time - Roy's is also across the street which replaced a dive bar called the Longboard Bar

Teppanyaki might be a fun birthday dinner. At that age, glam and glitter (or some Hawaiiana tiki ambiance) may be more fun than actual steak quality? A teppenyaki chef and chop chop steak, by that time it's no longer about the quality of the steak.

The left overs from the Halekulani restaurant was in the building past the Denny's in Waikiki. Kinda further down Kalia road although it mostly seemed like an alleyway to the back of a hotel. Denny's wasn't there then, I don't think. This would have been the early to mid eighties or so. We'd go there about once a week, it was a tiny bit of a splurge, but it was really good food.

Hmm, John Dominis is gone, too, isn't it? That was another nice dinner place. Guess we should go over to Oahu more often and eat at fancier places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 11:09 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Teppanyaki might be a fun birthday dinner. At that age, glam and glitter (or some Hawaiiana tiki ambiance) may be more fun than actual steak quality? A teppenyaki chef and chop chop steak, by that time it's no longer about the quality of the steak.
Well, for me - any place where the food isn't good kills the experience. Countless places close because of poor quality food despite location/ambiance.

Quote:
The left overs from the Halekulani restaurant was in the building past the Denny's in Waikiki. Kinda further down Kalia road although it mostly seemed like an alleyway to the back of a hotel. Denny's wasn't there then, I don't think. This would have been the early to mid eighties or so. We'd go there about once a week, it was a tiny bit of a splurge, but it was really good food.
The entire Lewers Street/Kalia Street corridor was completely gutted 10-15 years ago. Anything low end did not survive. Nobody who was in that area before it was cleaned up would recognize it today.

Quote:
Hmm, John Dominis is gone, too, isn't it? That was another nice dinner place. Guess we should go over to Oahu more often and eat at fancier places.
John Dominis closed about 10 years ago. The building was demolished and replaced by 53 by the Sea. While it is a beautiful building inside and out - with great views - and worth checking out once, I'm not a huge fan of the limited menu and the sky high prices don't match what you get in terms of quality and quantity.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:24 AM

If one just wanted the best restaurant on Oahu and wasn't looking for a specific dinner item such as in this case, the steaks, which restaurant do you think would be the best one? And why? Quality of food? Service? Ambience? Costs?

Old 07-21-2019, 01:35 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,085,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Hy’s Tomahawk is amazing, but also $180.

My current favorite Steak is still Morton’s at Ala Moana Mall (price to value).

Trying Signature Prime Steak and Seafood tomorrow, so will respond if my opinion changes.
Signature definitely surpassed Mortons. That view and the service and the incredible steak....win win.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:56 PM

Where is Signature? How expensive are they? We visit friends on Oahu and occasionally take them out to dinner, it's always nice to have more options.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
On top of the Ala Moana Hotel - as I recommended upthread it is very good - and expensive. You pay for what you get.

https://signatureprimesteak.com/menu/dinner-menu/

The bar menu is 50% off at happy hour - but none of the prime steaks are on it.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:19 PM

At least the Ala Mo is easy to find and get to. If we're visiting our Honolulu friends for a special occasion, we will drag them over there. We usually default to Pauoa Chop Suey, this will be a bit more upscale for them.

It looks like the Sinature might be a good spot for the OP.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:30 PM

9 posts, read 12,561 times
Just came back to say I made reservations at Signature today. Though i am looking at some of the other restaurants in this thread to eat at as well.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:36 PM

451 posts, read 405,768 times
OP, you didn't indicate where you are staying on Oahu. If it is the western side of Oahu, I might suggest the La Hiki Steakhouse at at the Four Seasons in Ko Olina. It is a relatively new addition to the Four Season's La Hiki Kitchen, but I think their quality, prep and service is the best on the island. Their lechon kawali appetizer is drool inspiring.

IMO, for outright food quality and prep, Wolfgang's in Waikiki is the best. When I have gone to Wolfgang's, it has always been crowded. Signature has a drop-dead view of of Waikiki and Diamond Head, but make sure to get there early to enjoy the view. It starts getting dark around here by about 6:30 PM.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:59 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,228,997 times
Hy's but expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu