Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 10:57 AM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
My take on the main Prime Steakhouses - went to Wolfgang's for the first time tonight.....

I'll exclude d.k as some posts above reference it - but it isn't prime steak and I can tell the difference in quality.

Wolfgang's. Right in Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, center of Waikiki. This is a restaurant of hits and misses. Ambiance Grade F. This is easily the worst part of Wolfgang's. Unless seeing people walk thru Royal Hawaiian Center is your thing. And there is no way they could possibly get the tables closer to each other. They pack you in and turnover of the table is evident of wanting you in/out as quickly as possible. Food - some parts knocked out of the park - some not. We split the crab cake. It was huge. It comes with a substantial good salad. We agreed probably the best crab cake we ever had. We would stop in again, sit at the bar, just to have this again. Salad. I didn't order since they weren't doing Caesar. Apparently some e coli thing happening, but salad from crab cake was fine. Steak. This is the Cheesecake factory serving side of steakhouses. They are huge, even the filet. Far larger prime cuts than any other steak place. The steaks are very good/excellent. We got loaded baked potato. It was not good at all. The "bacon" was large chunks of fatty pork. The cheese looked microwaved. We got asparagus. Huge portion. Was good, but looked/presentation looked like they got it from the supermarket down the street. Uninspiring. They asked if a special occasion - we said birthday (it was), and they sang happy bday and provided cheesecake and slice of some sort of chocolate dessert, both good. This part is important, if you are not Asian, be prepared to be the only non-Asian in the restaurant (except the servers) - I know some in the mainland will not be comfortable with that.

Ruth Cris. I'll keep this short. Don't like it. Here or on the mainland. I just feel like they are ruining the steaks with them sitting in a plate full of butter. Some love that - I don't. Easy location on Lewers in Waikiki or near downtown.

Morton's. I like Morton's. If you've been to Morton's on the mainland, it'll be exactly the same in Honolulu. I feel everything food wise is a bit higher quality compared to other prime steakhouses in Honolulu. But, not ideal if you are a visitor and have access to a Morton's. The opened up bar is an improvement and I recommend for happy hour. If you live here, I recommend. Visiting, I'd probably check something else out but you can't go wrong.

Hy's. Hy's is cool. Very old school. Great food. This is my issue with Hy's - it is really expensive for what you get. It isn't better than Morton's in my opinion but you'll definitely pay more....

Signature Steak - like this place. You come here for the view and the view is killer. For a visitor wanting steak - I'd go here.
Whtviper, if you had to pick just one of these to return to, which would it be ? Also, have you tried BLT Steak Waikiki ? I've not tried but Wolfgang's was the one I've been most interested to try so I'm glad you took the time to provide your review of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 12:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Whtviper, if you had to pick just one of these to return to, which would it be ? Also, have you tried BLT Steak Waikiki ? I've not tried but Wolfgang's was the one I've been most interested to try so I'm glad you took the time to provide your review of it.
That is a tough one - my preference in order is Morton's, Signature, Hy's, Wolfgang's. For a tourist, I'd recommend Signature or Hy's - followed by Morton's then Wolfgang's. If I'm a Japanese tourist, I'd recommend Wolfgang's.

I have been to BLT Waikiki - but not in a few years. They went thru a weird history of prime steaks, then took prime off the menu (for the same price), then put them back on. I should probably go back.

The best steak I've ever had, by far, and not a close second place, was BLT Tokyo in the Ginza District.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:58 PM

For those who have not been to Hy's - one can check out the interior on tonight's episode of Hawaii Five O (Dec 6 Season 10 Episode 10) around the 50 minute mark

Old 01-18-2020, 02:04 PM

Went to Morton's last night. They have seriously stepped up their game. Service was perfect and food, always good/great - was off the charts.

I urge anyone who likes steak to get to Morton's for the $45 menu deal happening until Jan 25. You have to ask for it when you sit down, it is not on the menu.

It is a limited menu but a bargain. Choice of Salad (I had Caesar), entree (I had the 8 ounce Fliet, which is $57 by itself on the menu), a side (I got Asparagus - mashed potato's was also an option) and dessert (got the cheesecake, which was huge and awesome).

I also tried the $70 worldwide red wine tasting which was completely worth it - 3 reds, retail price of the bottles presented were from $75 to $150 so figure double at a restaurant - generous pours excellent wines.

You need a reservations - walk ins were turned away if they weren't willing to eat in the bar.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:23 PM

63 posts, read 183,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The steaks at Buzz's are truly awful. Yes, across the street from Kailua Beach Park - near Lanikai

Do not go there unless you want to be disappointed in the food.
I agree with you about those lousy steaks! I do really like their salad bar, and fish entrees, and desserts.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:18 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Not the best steak on Oahu, but a real gem that I think went unmentioned is The Chart House. I travel to Oahu a lot for business and I hate eating alone in fancy places and the bar at The Chart House is very comfortable with very good food and a nice view.

In a similar, but completely different way, I love Chuck's Cellar for reasons of old school nostalgia.

PS I can't imagine Halekulani selling leftover buffet food to anyone, BUT the bad, dive buffet on Lewers St was Peggy's Smorgy. It closed many years ago, the result of which was undoubtedly many lives saved.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:01 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Not the best steak on Oahu, but a real gem that I think went unmentioned is The Chart House. I travel to Oahu a lot for business and I hate eating alone in fancy places and the bar at The Chart House is very comfortable with very good food and a nice view.

In a similar, but completely different way, I love Chuck's Cellar for reasons of old school nostalgia.

PS I can't imagine Halekulani selling leftover buffet food to anyone, BUT the bad, dive buffet on Lewers St was Peggy's Smorgy. It closed many years ago, the result of which was undoubtedly many lives saved.
I remember eating at Perry Boys Smorgy in the early 1970s. It was located in the Reef (or Reef Towers?) Hotel. Amazingly cheap and correspondingly crappy. (Think; gallon cans of fruit cocktail) There was a second location somewhere in Honolulu.
BTW: You can Google it and find pictures!

Old 03-24-2020, 11:57 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I remember eating at Perry Boys Smorgy in the early 1970s. It was located in the Reef (or Reef Towers?) Hotel. Amazingly cheap and correspondingly crappy. (Think; gallon cans of fruit cocktail) There was a second location somewhere in Honolulu.
BTW: You can Google it and find pictures!
The second Perry's was on Kuhio, not far from where Keo's used to be. Keo's I miss, Perry's, not so much.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:12 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The second Perry's was on Kuhio, not far from where Keo's used to be. Keo's I miss, Perry's, not so much.
Remember Coco's just outside of Waikiki near the Ala Wai Canal? We used to go there for happy hour. Really good free pupus. Well drinks were around 50 cents. Their steaks were not memorable though.

The building later became the Hard Rock Cafe. Not sure what is there now.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Remember Coco's just outside of Waikiki near the Ala Wai Canal? We used to go there for happy hour. Really good free pupus. Well drinks were around 50 cents. Their steaks were not memorable though.

The building later became the Hard Rock Cafe. Not sure what is there now.
It is the Honolulu Coffee Experience Center - although we seemed to have deviated to not good steak places or places out of business - or places that aren't steak places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu