Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 07:18 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I don't see the state winning this one.
Personally I hope there are no losers, that the protesters use this as a negotiating tool to get concessions from the state - jobs, land, autonomy, whatever. I doubt that Ige is going to back down. If so he never would have given his approval to proceed with TMT. I suppose he could put it to a vote on a statewide ballot, that would be the democratic way to decide it. But everyone has to agree to live by the results, whatever they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 PM

206 posts, read 186,529 times
Part Hawaiian here, although only 1/16th. Let them build it. There's been telescopes up there for decades. Its not like they're building a friggin condo. Polynesians have a long history of celestial navigation and astronomy. Just respect the land you're on and use it to further human knowledge.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:21 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Personally I hope there are no losers, that the protesters use this as a negotiating tool to get concessions from the state - jobs, land, autonomy, whatever. I doubt that Ige is going to back down. If so he never would have given his approval to proceed with TMT. I suppose he could put it to a vote on a statewide ballot, that would be the democratic way to decide it. But everyone has to agree to live by the results, whatever they are.
Ige didn't approve the telescope. The University of Hawaii/TMT went thru all the legal processes/environmental impacts, etc - and won Supreme Court challenges to get approval for this telescope. Ige can certainly make this difficult on TMT/UH - but since most people support the telescope, that would be foolish.

Their are 2 worst case scenarios. 1) It gets cold/rainy. Protesters lose funding or gives up in the cold and TMT goes up and build - they get nothing. Or, 2) TMT walks away - they get nothing which is a huge setback because that risks further STEM funding/investment in the future.

If the protesters were smart - and I'm not sure the leader of this is, he'd ask for something tangible that is realistic so they can save face rather than walk away with nothing

Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Ige didn't approve the telescope. The University of Hawaii/TMT went thru all the legal processes/environmental impacts, etc - and won Supreme Court challenges to get approval for this telescope. Ige can certainly make this difficult on TMT/UH - but since most people support the telescope, that would be foolish.
I was going by this news release. Maybe it was just pro-forma....
"Gov. David Ige announced that the state Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) issued a notice to proceed (NTP) to the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo for the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) project on Maunakea on Hawaiʻi Island. The permit was issued after DLNR confirmed the completion of the pre-construction conditions and mitigation measures required of the project in the Conservation District Use Permit (CDUP)."
https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2019/06/...ce-to-proceed/

Old 07-31-2019, 03:57 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Their are 2 worst case scenarios. 1) It gets cold/rainy. Protesters lose funding or gives up in the cold and TMT goes up and build - they get nothing. Or, 2) TMT walks away - they get nothing which is a huge setback because that risks further STEM funding/investment in the future.

If the protesters were smart - and I'm not sure the leader of this is, he'd ask for something tangible that is realistic so they can save face rather than walk away with nothing

Looks like option 1 at the moment. Two hurricanes heading this way so cold and rainy.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:45 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Some Hawaiian guys I know just got back from protesting. They said it was really cold but no rain. I'm glad they went to support their people and even happier to know that if the telescope is still built, they won't be bitter and resentful over it.
Ultimately, I hope the protesters stand down in exchange for something useful for Hawaiians like jobs and education. To me, it would be a shame for the telescope to move elsewhere.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
They said it was really cold
And it is August with a state that has set over 120 heat records this summer. I can see them getting thru October - November and onward, not so much.

Eventually a bunch of those folks will have to go back to work - and the financial hit from the parking tickets they are starting to issue will add up......

Old 08-25-2019, 06:33 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
It's not only the financial hit to the folks protesting, it's costing everyone else taxpayer money for the increased police presence required up there. The County was already in the hole from last year's lava problem, now with this protest taking up any extra money, the budget is going to be tight again.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:44 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It's not only the financial hit to the folks protesting, it's costing everyone else taxpayer money for the increased police presence required up there. The County was already in the hole from last year's lava problem, now with this protest taking up any extra money, the budget is going to be tight again.
hawaii county just needs to continue ticketing, towing, arresting, fining, etc. need to make money to close the hole in the county budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu