Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 09:12 AM

42 posts, read 36,071 times

Advertisements

You’re arguing that those in small residences must be living paycheck to paycheck in misery, and that it’s impossible to live comfortably on a modest income here, but it’s doable if you’re not saddled with debt, have retirement savings, and prefer a simple lifestyle. Is that the "average" person? Maybe not, but it's not unheard of either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 11:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlabeled View Post
You’re arguing that those in small residences must be living paycheck to paycheck in misery, and that it’s impossible to live comfortably on a modest income here, but it’s doable if you’re not saddled with debt, have retirement savings, and prefer a simple lifestyle. Is that the "average" person? Maybe not, but it's not unheard of either.
Now you’ve changed the entire discussion.

There is a huge difference between moderate income (at least 120% above median) and low income (or near low income we were discussing).

As a reminder, $67,500 deems you low income in Honolulu and qualifies you for subsidized housing (after a multi year wait). You are more likely than not, a victim of your circumstances living check to check in debt and outside of edge cases not living a comfortable life. Can “some” do it and some tolerate it, sure.

There is also a huge difference between someone forced into their circumstances because of income and those with means who choose a lifestyle outside the norm

Old 01-26-2020, 12:33 PM

42 posts, read 36,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
There is a huge difference between moderate income (at least 120% above median) and low income (or near low income we were discussing).

Then consider my wording changed to “near low income by Honolulu standards” -- around $75K as mentioned in the discussion.

Edit: Besides, I wrote "modest" and not moderate.

Last edited by unlabeled; 01-26-2020 at 01:38 PM..

Old 01-26-2020, 12:44 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
On Maui $54,700 is deemed low income. At $75,000 you have an extra $20,300 with which to enhance your lifestyle. It isn't difficult to live here comfortably on that amount for a single person with no room mates. There are many here who are living on that (or less) and are happy and comfortable.
I know quite a few doing exactly that.

My condo is about the size of a 3-car garage (600+ sq. ft.) and I'm comfortable in it. I WISH I had an extra bedroom but I don't NEED it. When I have company coming, I rent the condo next door for the days needed. A second bedroom would sit empty most of the time and I would be paying an enhanced maintenance fee and have an extra 100k-300k tied up in my home. Not worth it to me!

BTW: I wish you could see the whale performance I'm watching as I type this!

Old 01-26-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
On Maui $54,700 is deemed low income. At $75,000 you have an extra $20,300 with which to enhance your lifestyle. It isn't difficult to live here comfortably on that amount for a single person with no room mates. There are many here who are living on that (or less) and are happy and comfortable.
I know quite a few doing exactly that.
Wow. You all don’t need to pay taxes on that extra $20K. Great deal.

But I do the love the let them eat cat mentality on how comfortable they are. Comes off very elitist.

Interesting, at least to me how one goes from low income and qualify for subsidized housing to getting an extra $20K minus taxes and it’s all of a sudden comfortable.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Wow. You all don’t need to pay taxes on that extra $20K. Great deal.

But I do the love the let them eat cat mentality on how comfortable they are. Comes off very elitist.

Interesting, at least to me how one goes from low income and qualify for subsidized housing to getting an extra $20K minus taxes and it’s all of a sudden comfortable.
I think the bottom line is people who are happy are generally comfortable. How many people are unhappy yet would describe themselves as comfortable?
Being happy/comfortable doesn't require a home or cars that impress others. My condo is the smallest place I've ever lived. Even in college at UCSB my apartment was larger and I grew up in a luxury home (6X the size of my condo) on the edge of a country club.

Further up my street is Coconut Grove Condos. They are about $5 million. I would be MORE comfortable there but I was looking for a place under a $million, with a direct ocean view, and love it!

I'm happy here and consequently comfortable. I think the same is true of most of the underpaid teachers I see weekly. Most earn far less than $75,000 per year.

We must have different definitions for the word comfortable.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 01-26-2020 at 04:34 PM..

Old 01-26-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I think the bottom line is people who are happy are generally comfortable. How many people are unhappy yet would describe themselves as comfortable?
Being happy/comfortable doesn't require a home or cars that impress others.

I think the same is true of most of the underpaid teachers I see weekly. Most earn far less than $75,000 per year.
How many of those teachers are single and living alone?

Happiness and comfortable are different in my opinion.

At the peak of my org in Hawaii - I had oversight of over 200+ people. While the vast majority didn’t directly report to me, over the course of 5 years (I left when my lifetime benefits came in and promptly more than doubled my salary with a SF position I commute a week a month) I had a chance to personally connect with practically every one of them. I’d say 75% were in the $75-85K range with the rest higher.

Excluding those with wealthy parents getting them a house, or married and supplementing income or divorced with settlements (a lot of those btw), etc I found this. Of those left most were relatively happy. But, of the single ones left, many still lived with parents (not because they wanted to) or were relegated to roommate(s) - again, not because they wanted that. The rare person living on their own certainly didn’t come across as “comfortable”. Many had to speak to me regarding the paltry annual increase they got. And the biggest issues were traffic (because they couldn’t afford anything close to work) and the cramped living space they were living in (as they weren’t into the tiny house movement). I certainly didn’t suggest to them be happy with what you got because you are comfortable. They’d consider me out of touch and insensitive.

I’m really surprised how out of touch people are on this forum - most aren’t as “comfortable “ as you all confidently believe. Accept it. Sure. But this notion to suggest out of state people that $75K isn’t an issue is irresponsible. Some might be ok. The vast majority not so much.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:48 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
I think there is a valid distinction that can be made between a retiree who comes to Hawaii for retirement with little debt and a lifetime of substantial savings already complete and perhaps a pension as well, vs a younger person dreaming of a life in Hawaii with debts to pay and the need to be saving and building for an eventual retirement.

Most retirees I know seem comfortable with themselves and they know how to live within their means and they are content.

I think dreamers or retirees with little other than social security and no lifetime of responsible saving & investing will struggle.

For the record, my place in OR is 4,000 sq ft. My condo in Hawaii is 620 sq ft (counting the Lanai). I’m perfectly comfortable in either space. But I would not have wanted to live most of my life in such a small space personally.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I think there is a valid distinction that can be made between a retiree who comes to Hawaii for retirement with little debt and a lifetime of substantial savings already complete and perhaps a pension as well, vs a younger person dreaming of a life in Hawaii with debts to pay and the need to be saving and building for an eventual retirement.

Most retirees I know seem comfortable with themselves and they know how to live within their means and they are content.

I think dreamers or retirees with little other than social security and no lifetime of responsible saving & investing will struggle.

For the record, my place in OR is 4,000 sq ft. My condo in Hawaii is 620 sq ft (counting the Lanai). I’m perfectly comfortable in either space. But I would not have wanted to live most of my life in such a small space personally.
Great post! I agree with all of it. My ocean view and the weather makes up for the square footage I lost when I sold my house in California, but I might feel cramped if I was in this condo for 30 years. Check back with me then!

As a retiree, I am coming to learn about the high cost of health care. I assumed that I would pay the standard $125-135 for Medicare. Not so. I pay double because of my income and I'm right at the next level which would nearly double it again (I stayed home from my job the last week of the year to avoid any more income). In addition, I pay $54 per month for an Advantage plan and every time I visit a doctor or have any kind of test I pay again and my ONLY prescription is not covered. Until last year, my total medical cost was $100 per year. (End of rant.)

All that aside, I am happy, comfortable and don't plan on leaving or running out of money.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
How many of those teachers are single and living alone?

Happiness and comfortable are different in my opinion.

At the peak of my org in Hawaii - I had oversight of over 200+ people. While the vast majority didn’t directly report to me, over the course of 5 years (I left when my lifetime benefits came in and promptly more than doubled my salary with a SF position I commute a week a month) I had a chance to personally connect with practically every one of them. I’d say 75% were in the $75-85K range with the rest higher.

Excluding those with wealthy parents getting them a house, or married and supplementing income or divorced with settlements (a lot of those btw), etc I found this. Of those left most were relatively happy. But, of the single ones left, many still lived with parents (not because they wanted to) or were relegated to roommate(s) - again, not because they wanted that. The rare person living on their own certainly didn’t come across as “comfortable”. Many had to speak to me regarding the paltry annual increase they got. And the biggest issues were traffic (because they couldn’t afford anything close to work) and the cramped living space they were living in (as they weren’t into the tiny house movement). I certainly didn’t suggest to them be happy with what you got because you are comfortable. They’d consider me out of touch and insensitive.

I’m really surprised how out of touch people are on this forum - most aren’t as “comfortable “ as you all confidently believe. Accept it. Sure. But this notion to suggest out of state people that $75K isn’t an issue is irresponsible. Some might be ok. The vast majority not so much.
What is an SF position? San Francisco? Congratulations on your job.

Reading your posts it looks to me like you equate "comfortable" with "successful".

I have no doubt that life would be more difficult on Oahu than Maui at that price point. Commutes aren't all that tough over here either. I'm equally sure that those asking you for a raise would be inclined to stress how hard their lives are financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: